Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 01:02 PM

185 posts, read 313,189 times

Advertisements

[quote=hkcg;56790253]Hi pennsouth01,

Congratulations! I was on the 2014 list and moved in two weeks ago after five years. I was 29X out of 300 for the 2014 lottery. That means that the 2014 studio list is exhausted, so anyone on the 2019 list with a number below 100 should start getting ready for a letter. I have no "inside" information other than my own experience.

And this applies to anyone who has received letters to view apartments: Even if you have a high number on the apartment list, don't assume that you won't get an apartment. I was in the teens for 4 apartments that I saw in July, and I got a phone call 3 months later! Remember, there are several requirements that must be met before you can buy the apartment, and as has been noted several times on this forum, people either move, are no longer interested, cannot meet the credit score requirement, do not have the down payment, do not "pass" the home visit, or do not pass the criminal background check.

Good luck to all!

Wow! Congratulations!!!! How long might it be for someone around 18x?

Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 02:43 PM

155 posts, read 187,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1028 View Post
Thanks so much! I'll bring it up if they move me along to an interview. And congrats on your new home!
Appreciate it. Excited to sign papers tomorrow! I’ll probably get a viewing day sometime in the middle of December or before Christmas time.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:36 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,701,146 times
It'll probably within three years, I'd guesstimate.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:43 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,742,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. That developer better have a lot of other lucrative projects going on because this is going to be a major financial disaster haha.
The developer got part of the financing from the city to build this. No private lending money was willing to finance this 100%. Luckily, a contribution to Chirlane's charity and DeBlasio presidential campaign means city funds can be used to push something like this through.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 2,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC View Post
so did i, i spoke to the office they said it can take up to 6 weeks to hear back from the appeal i sent it via fax and email
Smh just a waiting game now I guess. But hard to see any positive from this with so little units available. What is your log number btw ? Do you have any preferences?

Old 12-05-2019, 04:26 PM

39 posts, read 67,037 times
That's great!!!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 682,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Honestly anything above the 60% AMI is ridiculous to be living in Jamaica.
I was raised in Queens, a bit further from Jamaica but I know the area very well from going to school around there and and it being the hangout spot for me as a kid, I wouldn't live over there even if the apartment was free lol.

I haven't been to Jamaica in over 10 years, so I'm not sure if much has changed but I HIGHLY doubt if any change has occurred that it's enough to warrant a building to be leasing apartments for over 3K.

If someone is going to pay that much in rent they might as well go to Williamsburg or LIC or even the city because I have no idea what benefits that specific part of Queens has to offer.

the way I see it is they're selling you close proximity to LIRR trains (can be one-two stops to Manhattan), being very near JFK (Airtrain ride). But it's still ridiculously high. Maybe if you work as a judge or attorney in one of nearby Courthouses, or a professor at York College, you can walk to work lol.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 9,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyty123 View Post
What's your lot number? They told me they're still on non preference at HDC so I'm confused.
I am non CB preference and my log number was 31.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,261 times
My papers are being sent to HPD today. Wish me luck y’all

Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 PM

515 posts, read 530,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
the way I see it is they're selling you close proximity to LIRR trains (can be one-two stops to Manhattan), being very near JFK (Airtrain ride). But it's still ridiculously high. Maybe if you work as a judge or attorney in one of nearby Courthouses, or a professor at York College, you can walk to work lol.
Trust me I totally understand the convenience of having accessible public transportation, it was *one* of the main things I looked for when I moved. HOWEVER the problem with this part of Queens is that convenient public transportation is ALL it has to offer. There are absolutely no other benefits in that area. It’s ghetto, ratchet, I’m sure there’s still a lot of criminal activity. Think about it why would anyone pay over 3K to live there when they could go to LIC and pay 3K for an apartment with a waterfront and NYC skyline view. Where there are decent restaurants, supermarkets, bars and other activities in the area. Jamaica Queens really doesn’t have much to offer. Now if this building was available in forest hills by the 71av subway station then yeah I would tell you it has an actual chance of surviving.
Going back to my main point there is not enough gentrification going on in Jamaica Queens for this building to survive those extremely high cost of rents and gentrification is not going to happen unless the area develops good businesses in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery