Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM

154 posts, read 293,275 times

Advertisements

Thanks misskittytalks! That is so thrilling to hear. So are you living there now? Enjoying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 AM

154 posts, read 293,275 times
And thank you barkomatic for the explanation of the carrying charges. It's so helpful to understand what precisely to fantasize about, money wise. I agree with you that even a high carrying charge for Penn South, say $1K a month, is chump change for NYC.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:53 AM

25,429 posts, read 37,238,129 times
Every time this thread catches my eye, I get furious with myself that I didn't get on that list 30 years ago, before Chelsea got so fashionably gay.

I think it is the best deal in town.

Advice to all: TIME PASSES !

Barkomatic,

What was the total cost of that co-generation project?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM

4,806 posts, read 6,663,585 times
Kefir, I'm in the same boat. I didn't go on the waiting list either way back then. I think I heard something to the effect that not all of the elevators go to all the floors, and it sounded wacky to me and I didn't like it! Ah, regret!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Kefir, I'm in the same boat. I didn't go on the waiting list either way back then. I think I heard something to the effect that not all of the elevators go to all the floors, and it sounded wacky to me and I didn't like it! Ah, regret!

For me, the downer was that it was aa ILGWU building so I thought you had to be a union member.
I even went so far as to mull the possibility of saying MY MOTHER would be living with us (yeah right?) because she indeed WAS an ILGWU member.

Anyway, we all make mistakes and must hope that our good choices outweigh them.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,277,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Every time this thread catches my eye, I get furious with myself that I didn't get on that list 30 years ago, before Chelsea got so fashionably gay.

Barkomatic,

What was the total cost of that co-generation project?
That was built well before I arrived so I don't know. However, I'm glad we have it as my electric bill is far cheaper than when I lived elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:38 PM

483 posts, read 694,043 times
mollybloom, I am very happy so far, thanks for asking... there were some growing pains moving in of course, but I've been treated very well. No comparison to my old place - the maintenance staff shows up when I have a complaint, treats the complaint, no song and dance trying to get out of doing work/paying money to fix anything like I used to undergo with my old super... night and heavenly day!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 AM

233 posts, read 404,722 times
[quote=Kefir King;40729779]Every time this thread catches my eye, I get furious with myself that I didn't get on that list 30 years ago, before Chelsea got so fashionably gay.

Thank you for the perspective, Kefir King! After all, it was a year ago yesterday that the postcards were due for the lottery, and now there are people on this list already in their apartments! I don't know what your housing situation is now, but you are the kind of person I would like as a neighbor, so the next time they announce a lottery, send in a postcard!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
That was built well before I arrived so I don't know. However, I'm glad we have it as my electric bill is far cheaper than when I lived elsewhere.
I have read that before the project, the fuel bill was a million and the electric bill another million. Now the fiel is still a million but it makes the heat hot water AND ELECTRICITY. (The waste heat from electricity generation heats the building and hot water.)

I asked our board if they considered co-generation. The answer was: "We already HAVE it...we can burn either gas or oil."

I imagine I should be casreful what I wish for because the changeover must be hideously expensive AND require some specially trained employees.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 AM

233 posts, read 404,722 times
Hi All,

I have a question for people who have seen apartments and didn't choose a preference for a balcony. Did you see only non-balcony apartments, or a mix of balcony and non-balcony? I'm curious as to how the list moves when it comes to preferences. I'm wondering if you chose "no preference' on your application, if that defaults you to non-balcony.

If anyone has any information or insight, it is much appreciated!

hkcg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery