Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 AM

233 posts, read 403,388 times

Advertisements

Thanks so so much to all of you who have been active on this forum! All of the information you provide is incredibly helpful and gives those of us still waiting a very clear picture of what to expect.

Do you mind commenting on what I understand to be the steps in the process? Thanks.

1. Get a letter from PS to come look at apartments.
2. Look at apartments.
3. Say yes/no to each one you have seen.
4. If selected, come in for an interview.
5. Get a home visit.
6. Have your finances reviewed.
7. Pay 25% or more and get financing from PS Credit Union or if time allows, another source.
8. Pay 100% upfront and get the keys?

Also, Eduronyc, you said that the formula was total debt divided by yearly income. Did they mention a limit to your debt to income ratio? Justchris82 said that he has an 800 credit score, which is really good, and he has a 6.5% mortgage rate. It also seems that once you are asked to look at apartments and the process starts, everything moves very quickly, so you have to have your money ducks in a row.

If anyone gets a letter about the Capital One financing, let us know how it goes if you meet with them.

Thanks again!

hkcg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:53 PM
WJZ

17 posts, read 27,772 times
Another good source of information is chelsea.clickyourblock.com It's a neighborhood blog with a preponderance of Penn South users.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 AM

35 posts, read 75,450 times
Hi HKCG,

I also have a close to 800 credit score, it really meant nothing. Whoever is above a 700 credit score has the same treatment. They didn't mention what was the ideal income/debt ratio. Mine happened to be very low, I think at the time I only had 1,000 credit card debt.

I recommend to fix the finances first, reduce debt, to improve credit profile. They really don't look on the amount of cash you have on the bank.

Eduronyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Thanks so so much to all of you who have been active on this forum! All of the information you provide is incredibly helpful and gives those of us still waiting a very clear picture of what to expect.

Do you mind commenting on what I understand to be the steps in the process? Thanks.

1. Get a letter from PS to come look at apartments.
2. Look at apartments.
3. Say yes/no to each one you have seen.
4. If selected, come in for an interview.
5. Get a home visit.
6. Have your finances reviewed.
7. Pay 25% or more and get financing from PS Credit Union or if time allows, another source.
8. Pay 100% upfront and get the keys?

Also, Eduronyc, you said that the formula was total debt divided by yearly income. Did they mention a limit to your debt to income ratio? Justchris82 said that he has an 800 credit score, which is really good, and he has a 6.5% mortgage rate. It also seems that once you are asked to look at apartments and the process starts, everything moves very quickly, so you have to have your money ducks in a row.

If anyone gets a letter about the Capital One financing, let us know how it goes if you meet with them.

Thanks again!

hkcg

Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Thanks, eduronyc. I have a score above 700, so I'm good with that I guess. Also, I have a ways to go before they call me, so I can look at my finances more closely and figure out my debt to income ratio.

Thanks again!

hkcg

Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM

64 posts, read 176,825 times
I wonder when the next waiting list update is going to be? They haven't updated it since September 2015 and didn't do a Q4 update for 2015. Anyone on the studio list get called recently?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:58 AM

126 posts, read 214,288 times
I hope there is another opportunity to open up again down the line!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:22 PM

64 posts, read 176,825 times
How long do you have to respond to the letter that you get to come look at apartments? Does it tell you "come in on or by this date?" or is more of a "call us to make an appointment" type of thing? I have changed addresses and I am worried there was/is a chance that some of my mail still may be going to the old address. I've updated my address with PS in writing but it hasn't gone into effect yet. I spoke to PS on the phone today and they said they send letters, not a phone call, when someone is invited to come look, and said they were too busy to check to see if I had been sent anything (or if my address had been updated with them).

Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM

126 posts, read 214,288 times
Im sure there is a limited amount of time

Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4chelsea2 View Post
How long do you have to respond to the letter that you get to come look at apartments? Does it tell you "come in on or by this date?" or is more of a "call us to make an appointment" type of thing? I have changed addresses and I am worried there was/is a chance that some of my mail still may be going to the old address. I've updated my address with PS in writing but it hasn't gone into effect yet. I spoke to PS on the phone today and they said they send letters, not a phone call, when someone is invited to come look, and said they were too busy to check to see if I had been sent anything (or if my address had been updated with them).
Hi waiting4chelsea2,

Do you have someone at your old address who can look out for your mail in case they send it to the old address?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4chelsea2 View Post
I wonder when the next waiting list update is going to be? They haven't updated it since September 2015 and didn't do a Q4 update for 2015. Anyone on the studio list get called recently?
I just checked the list, and they still haven't updated it. I hope it's because they are so busy mailing out letters to people on the 2014 list to come look at apartments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery