Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 AM

154 posts, read 287,840 times

Advertisements

Well, I have now moved ten spaces in the wrong direction on the 2-bedroom list. So 10 more people have re-activated. I am back to thinking it's going to be ten more years.

Does anyone know if you can still buy an apartment at Penn South if you already own an apartment? Or if you sell an apartment right before, will those assets be held against you? Assume salary is under the cap in both instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,409 times
First post, longtime lurker. I was called to see a 2bed apt. I only had the choice of one. We are also told we can only turn down 2 before you are taken off the list. I now have to wait up to 4 weeks to find out the status. Nervous. It's only been 20 years!!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 AM

37 posts, read 61,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabronxgal View Post
First post, longtime lurker. I was called to see a 2bed apt. I only had the choice of one. We are also told we can only turn down 2 before you are taken off the list. I now have to wait up to 4 weeks to find out the status. Nervous. It's only been 20 years!!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Seems to me you've waited long enough.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 AM

233 posts, read 403,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabronxgal View Post
Wow! Good luck! I hope you get it.

Do you mind if I ask if you ever put yourself on hold for any period of time?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 10,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Wow! Good luck! I hope you get it.

Do you mind if I ask if you ever put yourself on hold for any period of time?
Thank you! Fingers are crossed. Yes I put myself on hold for 2 years.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM

154 posts, read 287,840 times
OMG you waited 18 years on that 2-bedroom list! Congratulations! Your moment is here. Keep us posted!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,063 times
Hello All, I'm lucky enough to have made it on to the waitlist in the last lottery, and I've estimated that I'll get called in to look at an apartment in the next 3-4 years. I'm gainfully employed and have savings, but have been living with my folks so don't officially pay rent. I see that one of the eligibility factors on the NYC Housing Connect website is a rent payment history. Does Penn South require anything similar?

Many thanks!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

31 posts, read 58,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandh View Post
Hello All, I'm lucky enough to have made it on to the waitlist in the last lottery, and I've estimated that I'll get called in to look at an apartment in the next 3-4 years. I'm gainfully employed and have savings, but have been living with my folks so don't officially pay rent. I see that one of the eligibility factors on the NYC Housing Connect website is a rent payment history. Does Penn South require anything similar?

Many thanks!
In my experience paying cash to my roommate in the past, they'll want a letter from the owner of the property at the very least. Write Penn South a letter to ask them, you should be able to get a reply, in writing, about what is required.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchris82 View Post
In my experience paying cash to my roommate in the past, they'll want a letter from the owner of the property at the very least. Write Penn South a letter to ask them, you should be able to get a reply, in writing, about what is required.

Thanks so much for this suggestion. Did you do this yourself for Penn South specifically?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 58,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandh View Post
Thanks so much for this suggestion. Did you do this yourself for Penn South specifically?
I didn't write a letter but have been told this is one of the only ways to get an "official" answer on a question if your name has not been called yet. I was told I needed a letter when I gave my deposit/signed some forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery