Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,271,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi Incog79,

I see from earlier posts that you have a studio. How is the space now that you're in? The website says 650 square feet for a 2.5 studio (I think. Maybe that's with a balcony?). I'm really curious to know how it's working out!

Also, you said that the closing costs are "relatively low". About how much would we need above the actual down payment?

Thanks,

hkcg
Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing square footage mentioned on the website? I don't see it on the "apartment layouts and tours" section and when I've asked management has always refused to answer that question for me--and I currently live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM

128 posts, read 227,646 times
square footage is listed on the penn south website under FAQ for applicants on wait list.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
No problem, glad to help (I'm not moving quite yet, probably next weekend if I can get the fridge and range delivered then - the nice thing about a mid-month closing is that I have the next two weeks to move).

- The debt ratio should be calculated using your gross monthly income. And yes, I think they did include utilities as part of debt. Here is some more info: What is a debt-to-income ratio? Why is the 43% debt-to-income ratio important? > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

- I had to provide two years of tax returns. They wanted the full transcripts or worksheets, too, not just the first two pages of my 1040s. You can order those for free online on the IRS website. NY State is stuck in the Stone Age and you have to mail in a request for copies of your state returns. They asked for "certified copies" but I couldn't figure out what that was or how to order them; I just handed over regular photocopies and it was fine.

- My "equity plus assessment" was about $29K/room.

- Yes, $5K should definitely cover all other closing costs, credit union application fees, deposits, etc. I think mine came to a little under $4K.
Hi, I'm new here. Thank you to all for sharing info.
I have two questions: Does the surcharge apply to the purchase price (equity?) of the apartment and monthly maintenance?

Also,
If PS demands 2 years of returns, and income varies widely in each of those years (say one year is under the surcharge threshold and the other is just below max threshold with surcharge), how do they determine what you pay for the apartment and what your maintenance is?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,779 times
Default Floor plans & photos?

Would anyone be willing to post any more photos of their affordable apartment at SKY. I saw the one bedroom floor plan that someone posted here a while ago. Does anyone have a studio or two bedroom floor plan they would be willing to post or some photos of an apartment?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,918,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yorker 2018 View Post
Would anyone be willing to post any more photos of their affordable apartment at SKY. I saw the one bedroom floor plan that someone posted here a while ago. Does anyone have a studio or two bedroom floor plan they would be willing to post or some photos of an apartment?
they posted pics of a one bedroom in the main thread. floorplans and all that are on streeteasy

Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 7,984 times
Question Lehman College for an Accounting degree - Good or bad idea?

I'm currently starting business classes at Lehman right now. Baruch would be ideal if I can get in. I will try and transfer there for Spring 2019. But I really want to hear the truth about Lehman's accounting program firsthand. I did a search on Linkedin for Accounting grads and CPAs who went to Lehman for their degree and I see some of them listing companies like KPMG and Deloitte plus some private companies too.

Surely, there must be some people here that went to Lehman?

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM

881 posts, read 617,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79818515 View Post
I'm currently starting business classes at Lehman right now. Baruch would be ideal if I can get in. I will try and transfer there for Spring 2019. But I really want to hear the truth about Lehman's accounting program firsthand. I did a search on Linkedin for Accounting grads and CPAs who went to Lehman for their degree and I see some of them listing companies like KPMG and Deloitte plus some private companies too.

Surely, there must be some people here that went to Lehman?
I used to work at Lehman -- won't say where since I don't wanna dox myself but while I never dealt with the Department of Accounting, I do know that Baruch is definitely the much better brand of B.A. by far as you already know...however, any of CUNY's programs will do -- in the end, it's up to the "engine," not the bicycle, as racers would say; you yourself can go a much longer way, usually, than even an alumni network....

Good luck counting beans!

Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM

15,879 posts, read 14,524,048 times
I'm not an accountant, but I always got the impression was the main thing that was important was getting the CPA. Having or not having that is more important than where your degree came from.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:26 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,207,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm not an accountant, but I always got the impression was the main thing that was important was getting the CPA. Having or not having that is more important than where your degree came from.
That's right. Top the CPA with an MBA from the Wharton School and you'll have it "made in the shade."

Old 11-25-2017, 11:54 AM

15,879 posts, read 14,524,048 times
The sort of flip side is that with a degree from one of the city colleges, and a CPA, you'll still do pretty well. Layer a decent graduate degree on top of that, and you'd likely do very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That's right. Top the CPA with an MBA from the Wharton School and you'll have it "made in the shade."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery