Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 56,851 times

Advertisements

Hi Hkcg,

Yes, they do encourage you to be very specific, which is great. It saves time for all concerned. The current list for one bedroom internal transfer has 265 applicants, 108 which are listed as «*active,*» including ones from 1981 and 1997, curiously! People at the top of the list are passed over if available apartments don’t match their preferences, of course. Obviously, when someone closes on an apartment, one would expect others to slowly advance toward the finish line. There may be a logical explanation for why this isn’t happening, but I have not been apprised of it. Anyway, the longer it takes, the more I’m able to save for renovations, furniture, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 06:12 PM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRez View Post
Hi Hkcg,

Yes, they do encourage you to be very specific, which is great. It saves time for all concerned. The current list for one bedroom internal transfer has 265 applicants, 108 which are listed as «*active,*» including ones from 1981 and 1997, curiously! People at the top of the list are passed over if available apartments don’t match their preferences, of course. Obviously, when someone closes on an apartment, one would expect others to slowly advance toward the finish line. There may be a logical explanation for why this isn’t happening, but I have not been apprised of it. Anyway, the longer it takes, the more I’m able to save for renovations, furniture, etc!
Thanks! I don't mind the wait either - mostly because I'm already in, but also because I may want to do renovations when I get the 1 bedroom.

I appreciate the inside information! Now I'm doing the same thing I did when I was on the external list - looking at the floor plans obsessively and printing the ones out that I want (even though I would have taken any studio offered).

Looking forward to hearing about your successful transfer!

Old 09-25-2021, 10:03 AM

38 posts, read 114,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holian View Post
Thank you hkcg.

I have good news for people who are waiting for 1 bedroom. I am from the 2019 lottery. My current number is mid 80s and I was sent a letter inviting me to view the 7 vacant apartments.

"If you do not view the apartment(s) within one week from the mailing of this letter (Postmark Date), we will assume you are not interested in the apartment(s), and it will be considered as a rejection of all of the above apartment(s)."

So 2019 batch, you can start studying the 1 bedroom floor plan and get ready for the excitement.
Hey Holian,

Just curious - were there any developments in your search? Did you ever get an apartment or are you still looking? Have they called you recently?

Thanks, PSG

Last edited by PennSouthGroupie; 09-25-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-25-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Thanks! I don't mind the wait either - mostly because I'm already in, but also because I may want to do renovations when I get the 1 bedroom.

I appreciate the inside information! Now I'm doing the same thing I did when I was on the external list - looking at the floor plans obsessively and printing the ones out that I want (even though I would have taken any studio offered).

Looking forward to hearing about your successful transfer!
Yes, I enjoy looking at the floor plans too! Honestly, who doesn’t?! I scoured all of them to narrow my preference list. I also asked a neighbor about her apartment, and as I’d hoped, she gave me a full tour. Ironically, I took that one off the list because it seemed too dark. Once you submit your application for an internal transfer you can add or delete apartments at any time by emailing the Allocation Dept. I have also made friends here, and subsequently saw their apt. layouts as well.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:27 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
So what is your favorite layout???? Please spill the beans!

Old 09-25-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
So what is your favorite layout???? Please spill the beans!
For me, I would say a C line apt. in any building. If I didn’t care about kitchen size, I really like the F line in single core buildings.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
I think the H is very similar to the C, but the C seems to have better closets!

Also, the A and E one-bedroom lines have those odd, corner windows in the living room. What do these windows actually look like? Could it be that the A and E lines don't get as much light, depending on which direction they face?

I know my daughter won't have that much choice in what she gets to pick from, but it's fun to imagine! She says she's not fussy.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRez View Post
Yes, I enjoy looking at the floor plans too! Honestly, who doesn’t?! I scoured all of them to narrow my preference list. I also asked a neighbor about her apartment, and as I’d hoped, she gave me a full tour. Ironically, I took that one off the list because it seemed too dark. Once you submit your application for an internal transfer you can add or delete apartments at any time by emailing the Allocation Dept. I have also made friends here, and subsequently saw their apt. layouts as well.
That's great that you got to see some 1 bedrooms. The only ones I've seen are:

C line single building: big kitchen, walk in closet in bedroom
E line single building: small kitchen, dark living room
A ( I think ) line double building: 19th floor, HUGE terrace

Old 09-26-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I think the H is very similar to the C, but the C seems to have better closets!

Also, the A and E one-bedroom lines have those odd, corner windows in the living room. What do these windows actually look like? Could it be that the A and E lines don't get as much light, depending on which direction they face?

I know my daughter won't have that much choice in what she gets to pick from, but it's fun to imagine! She says she's not fussy.
The E line apartment I've seen is darker than the rest, but the bedroom has a nice big window.

Being "not fussy' is what will get her in sooner! I did not have a choice when offered my apartment, but luckily it was the one I would have picked first anyway! But, I would have taken the tiny studio too and been happy about it.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:58 AM

FYI for All,

The Penn South Flea Market is back!! It was cancelled last year, but this year it's being held on October 16th between 8 and 9th on 26th. It's a lot of fun, and if you come you might want to chat up the sellers - they're all PS residents, so it's not one of the cookie cutter corporate "street fairs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery