Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 03:19 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

Yes, my daughter moved up suddenly about 25 places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 04:03 PM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holian View Post
I have been offered an apartment and if everything goes smooth, I will be able to move in to my apartment in a month.
Congratulations! Hope it all goes well!

Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 PM

41 posts, read 56,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
For Penn South residents in a studio do you know the approximate square footage of the apartment or rather the living room/bedroom combo room? I don't really care about the size of the kitchen or bathroom because I don't spend a ton of time in either room but I'm curious how much I'll have to downsize in terms of furniture.
Hi Trisky,

I live in a D Line studio in a single core building. The foyer/sleeping area is roughly 12’6’’ x 6’10.’’ The living area is again roughly 16’9’’ x 12’10.‘’ The two areas form an L-shaped space around the kitchen and bath/changing areas. I have a queen sized Murphy bed along the foyer area, and one sleeps parallel to the long wall. There are also support columns and an HVAC enclosure that eat into the space here and there. Overall, this is a spacious layout. Many D units have balconies.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:34 AM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRez View Post
Hi Trisky,

I live in a D Line studio in a single core building. The foyer/sleeping area is roughly 12’6’’ x 6’10.’’ The living area is again roughly 16’9’’ x 12’10.‘’ The two areas form an L-shaped space around the kitchen and bath/changing areas. I have a queen sized Murphy bed along the foyer area, and one sleeps parallel to the long wall. There are also support columns and an HVAC enclosure that eat into the space here and there. Overall, this is a spacious layout. Many D units have balconies.
Ah! Thank you so much! Finally some dimensions I can visualize. It's great that you can make the foyer area almost like it's own sleeping compartment! That'll help immensely in terms of furniture. I just downsized my couch so it'll fit nicely in the living area. Of course this won't happen for a few years yet but it's good to have in mind so I know what I can take with me whenever I do wind up finally moving in.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM

12 posts, read 18,194 times
Quote:
I have been offered an apartment and if everything goes smooth, I will be able to move in to my apartment in a month.
Hope it goes smoothly! Have you meet with Carmen yet? What is the process like?

Also, I heard they also need to do a home inspection at your current home? Can someone describe what they look for? Does all the occupants have to be home? Is it a quick process?

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Old 09-29-2021, 12:44 PM

43 posts, read 74,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon007 View Post
Hope it goes smoothly! Have you meet with Carmen yet? What is the process like?

Also, I heard they also need to do a home inspection at your current home? Can someone describe what they look for? Does all the occupants have to be home? Is it a quick process?

Thanks for sharing everyone!
Because of pandemic, instead of doing a physical home visit, the company that does home visit will ask you to:

1. Send current photo of yourself and anyone else moving in with you.
2. Send pictures OR short videos of the interior of current residence at:
Of all rooms and hallways. Closets are not needed.
Email photos and/or video email with your name in the subject line.
3. Send proof of residency. A piece of mail with your name and address on it.
4. Send proof of identification . ( Picture I.d. )
5. Complete phone interview.

Nothing to worry about. The purpose of the home visit is to see if you are a good tenant (i.e. you keep your apartment clean and neat, etc...) and if you really are a New York City resident.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:59 AM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Quote:
Because of pandemic, instead of doing a physical home visit, the company that does home visit will ask you to:

1. Send current photo of yourself and anyone else moving in with you.
2. Send pictures OR short videos of the interior of current residence at:
Of all rooms and hallways. Closets are not needed.
Email photos and/or video email with your name in the subject line.
3. Send proof of residency. A piece of mail with your name and address on it.
4. Send proof of identification . ( Picture I.d. )
5. Complete phone interview.

Nothing to worry about. The purpose of the home visit is to see if you are a good tenant (i.e. you keep your apartment clean and neat, etc...) and if you really are a New York City resident.

Hope this helps.
It's too bad I'm not moving in now, they'd get to see my apartment practically empty since I just got rid of all my furniture to replace with new furniture.

It won't look like this 5 years from now!

Old 10-01-2021, 10:20 AM

My daughter on the one-bedroom list moved up another five spots. Either people are getting thrown off the list or some are freezing their applications.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:26 PM

43 posts, read 74,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My daughter on the one-bedroom list moved up another five spots. Either people are getting thrown off the list or some are freezing their applications.
Pennsouth sent a lot of people on the waiting list to view the available 1-bedroom apartments. After viewing the apartments, the applicants have 2 weeks to respond which apartments they like. If they don't respond, they will be placed to the on-hold column. If they do not accept more than 2 apartments, their applications will be rejected. That's why the numbers are suddenly moving so fast.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:32 PM

I just came across this story, from June:

Penn South co-op reveals plan to replace Chelsea McDonald’s with 200-unit mixed-income building

A run-down commercial building in Chelsea will be replaced with a 200-unit mixed-income apartment tower. Affordable housing cooperative Penn South announced this week it tapped MAG Partners to redevelop 335 Eighth Avenue as a seven-story residential building with ground-floor commercial space, including a grocery store. The site, located on the corner of West 26th Street and 8th Avenue, is currently home to Gristedes, McDonald’s, and a tennis center.

https://www.6sqft.com/penn-south-co-...come-building/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery