Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 05:00 PM

106 posts, read 178,813 times

Advertisements

This article was on the New York Magazine site today. Andrew Alpern, architect and author, is an original owner at Penn South.

https://www.curbed.com/article/archi....html#comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 06:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,604,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynMary View Post
This article was on the New York Magazine site today. Andrew Alpern, architect and author, is an original owner at Penn South.

https://www.curbed.com/article/archi....html#comments
Love this! Thank you so much for posting. You very rarely see photos of Penn South interiors.

I love what he did with the place. So quirky and individualistic, the books and mementos. Plus a skull chair!

The balcony looks great closed in. But how could a bedroom on the 17th floor not have a view?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-18-2022 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-19-2022, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
Just wondering but if I have my girlfriend live with me, does her primary residency need to also be changed to Pennsouth?

Old 01-20-2022, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,558 times
Hi all,

I'm a longtime reader of this thread, but this is my first time posting. I'm on the 2019 1 BR waitlist, with a number in the low #100's. However, I got a letter the other day to view six apartments. In the letter, it said I was in the low teens and that the people ahead of me would have first pick of the apartments. The letter also said that if I rejected any two apartments I would be removed from the waitlist completely.

I saw the apartments and they are all great. However, one apartment is on a low floor and I would prefer to be higher.

My questions for you all are:
1. With so many people ahead of me, is there really a chance that I would get any of these apartments?
2. Should I reject the apartment on the lower floor, with the hope that I get one on a higher floor?

Thanks so much to everyone for all the accumulated info in this threat. I really appreciate you all.

Old 01-20-2022, 12:39 PM

430 posts, read 508,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasneb View Post
Hi all,

I'm a longtime reader of this thread, but this is my first time posting. I'm on the 2019 1 BR waitlist, with a number in the low #100's. However, I got a letter the other day to view six apartments. In the letter, it said I was in the low teens and that the people ahead of me would have first pick of the apartments. The letter also said that if I rejected any two apartments I would be removed from the waitlist completely.

I saw the apartments and they are all great. However, one apartment is on a low floor and I would prefer to be higher.

My questions for you all are:
1. With so many people ahead of me, is there really a chance that I would get any of these apartments?
2. Should I reject the apartment on the lower floor, with the hope that I get one on a higher floor?

Thanks so much to everyone for all the accumulated info in this threat. I really appreciate you all.
1. Yes. i was 18th and we saw 6 apartments. We were offered one.
2. Depends on how much you want to move out of your current situation. What if the lower floor apartment is the only one available at the moment? Would you move or wait, in the hopes of getting a higher floor apartment?

Last edited by Dreamernyc; 01-20-2022 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 01-20-2022, 12:46 PM

Thank you Dreamernyc for the insight. It's good to hear that, even with a higher number, apartments are available. The Penn South letter was a surprise and I'm not in a rush to move, so I may choose to reject the first floor apartment and wait for a better option. Thank you so much for your advice.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you Dreamernyc for the insight. It's good to hear that, even with a higher number, apartments are available. The Penn South letter was a surprise and I'm not in a rush to move, so I may choose to reject the first floor apartment and wait for a better option. Thank you so much for your advice.
pasneb, congrats! From what I understand, after you see the apartments, you should say that you would accept them all. Then see what you're offered. Do not waste your one rejection on an apartment if you don't need to.

From what others have posted, they were offered quite a selection, surprisingly to them.

For example, this is what edcaspol2017 wrote about his experience:

Quote:
I started viewing apartments when I was in the 100s. I saw 11 apartments and was offered 10. I received three different letters: one letter had one apartment and I was 7 on the viewing list, the other had two apartments and was 9 on the viewing list and the third one had 8 apartments and I was 6 on the viewing list. I really loved the apartment that I was 7th on the viewing list and did not think that I would have a chance of picking that one but a miracle happened and it was one of the apartments offered. I saw lines C, H but mostly A. I chose the H, which has a lot of living room windows. No balcony apartments. I realized that it would slow down the process if I requested a balcony. Once you get in, after three years you can request an internal transfer. At that point, you can request a balcony.
Pasneb, were you asked to do the pre-screening? Were you on the low 100s on the "actives" list?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-20-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-20-2022, 01:55 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,678,703 times
Quote:
Speculation and Suggestion: Try to figure out how many people are ahead of you who will be asked Yes or No for this lower floor unit. Let’s pretend, there are one hundred people ahead of you; then you can GAMBLE and say YES knowing it’s likely that some person in the one hundred will take it ahead of you; the advantage is you don’t burn one of your only two strikes. The fewer people ahead of you, the riskier this strategy gets, but worse case you still get a unit in a highly desirable development.

Also consider, if you do use one of your two strikes to avoid this lower floor unit, the next unit you are asked about might be even less to your likening.

If you try to maximize your preference for a particular unit, it seems likely it will have to wait more to get into the development. How long do you want to wait, and how much is it costing you? Is your present living situation stable and tolerable to you? Are you facing a possible steep rent increase where you are?

I don’t know what the development policy is for tenants changing units. After taking a low floor unit can you to apply to change to another unit? What is the estimated wait to do that? Do you expect to live in the development for ten years or two years?

Good luck and good patience.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Pasneb, were you asked to do the pre-screening? Were you on the low 100s on the "actives" list?
I did a pre-screening over the summer, but I don't remember what number I was on the "actives" list at the time. I'm currently around 100 on the "actives" list.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I did a pre-screening over the summer, but I don't remember what number I was on the "actives" list at the time. I'm currently around 100 on the "actives" list.
That's great! Did you see a good mix of apartments? Any balconies? My daughter is in the 120s on the list, and I'm helping her.

Also, you know, I'm sure, that you can do an internal transfer after living in PS for three years (and after only one year if a baby arrives). Then you can specify exactly which building and line you want. It is a pain to have to move, but at least you're not stuck in an apartment you don't like.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-20-2022 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery