Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 01:40 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,650,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyz212 View Post
I got a letter in the mail today to see apartments! I'm in lower hundreds.
On the one-bedroom list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 01:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 6,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyz212 View Post
I got a letter in the mail today to see apartments! I'm in lower hundreds.
Congrats! Have fun looking at the apartments! If you can, take someone with you, because it's a lot to take in, and you won't have that much time to linger.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:10 PM

Very sad story. On a Penn South street. I assume she is a resident. I hope she pulls through.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...outputType=amp

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-12-2022 at 07:21 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,615 times
New to the forum, but approaching on the one-bedroom list!

Quick question on the income requirements, have they changed since the 2019 lottery was opened? If so, does anybody have the new income requirements?

Old 03-13-2022, 03:02 PM

42 posts, read 79,384 times
I just received my letter to start viewing apartments, i'm in the 80s in active list for the one bedroom. They are showing 5 apartments and I'm about 20th on the list in terms of priority for the apartments.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycolaa View Post
I just received my letter to start viewing apartments, i'm in the 80s in active list for the one bedroom. They are showing 5 apartments and I'm about 20th on the list in terms of priority for the apartments.
Congrats!

Enjoy yourself! If you're about 20th, you probably won't get an apartment this round, but be observant anyway. You never know.

Since so many people are getting called, here are some tips:

Keep moving at a good pace but don't panic.

Take photos, and bring someone with you to take notes.

How to use the key system:
Use the downstairs intercom to call security to get into each building. These instructions were very clear.

Then, when you get to the apartment door, put in the six-digit code, and then open the compartment and take out the metal key. (This part is missing from the instructions.) Let yourself into the apartment with the key. When you are finished, replace the key in the compartment (this may take some doing; wrap the wire around the key), and close the compartment.

Something to keep in mind:
Facade work is being done in the complex south of 26th St. That accounts for all the scaffolding. When that's finished, the work will move to the northern half. That impacts first-floor apartments in particular because of the sidewalk sheds.

More tips:
Check out each laundry room.

Talk to residents and ask how they like living there and if they have any advice for you. Most are happy to talk to newcomers and they have good information.

Bring a tape measure. You won't have time to be measuring everything, but it's good for a quick check.

Measure the front door opening and also the kitchen door, as a start.

If you see a G apartment, the bedroom is about 17 by 10. The floor plans online have the width as 9-ish.

Take photos of the view outside each window and make a note if the apartment faces a main avenue.

There is a 12-story building going up on the east side of Eighth Avenue between 23rd and 24th. https://www.newyorkyimby.com/2021/04...manhattan.html

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-13-2022 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 07:35 PM

30 posts, read 42,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats!

Enjoy yourself! If you're about 20th, you probably won't get an apartment this round, but be observant anyway. You never know.

Use the downstairs intercom to call security to get into each building. These instructions were very clear.

Then, when you get to the apartment door, put in the six-digit code, and then open the compartment and take out the metal key. (This part is missing from the instructions.) Let yourself into the apartment with the key. When you are finished, replace the key in the compartment (this may take some doing; wrap the wire around the key), and close the compartment.

Facade work is being done in the complex south of 26th St. That accounts for all the scaffolding. When that's finished, the work will move to the northern half. That impacts first-floor apartments in particular because of the sidewalk sheds.

More tips:

Talk to residents and ask how they like living there and if they have any advice for you. Most are happy to talk to newcomers and they have good information.

Bring a tape measure. You won't have time to be measuring everything, but it's good for a quick check.

If you see a G apartment, the bedroom is about 17 by 10. The floor plans online have the width as 9-ish.

Take photos of the view outside each window and make a note if the apartment faces a main avenue.

There is a 12-story building going up on the east side of Eighth Avenue between 23rd and 24th. https://www.newyorkyimby.com/2021/04...manhattan.html

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! So you don't have to actually meet with someone to see the apartments?

Old 03-13-2022, 08:23 PM

That is correct.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 20,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats!

More tips:

Good luck and have fun!
Heard there’s a Target going up at that site.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:26 AM

A Target would be very handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery