Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 02:00 AM

13 posts, read 22,325 times

Advertisements

anyone on the 2bedroom list get offered an apartment yet??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 14,757 times
What the "on hold "policy? Received email to view 3 studio apartments, but we just bought apartment last year ……

Old 04-04-2022, 01:02 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunn nyc View Post
What the "on hold "policy? Received email to view 3 studio apartments, but we just bought apartment last year ……
Oh man...

Can I ask what your log in number range is?

Old 04-04-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh man...

50s…

Old 04-04-2022, 01:57 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Bunn, generally, once Penn South calls you to view apartments, it's too late to go on hold.

If you just bought an apartment, maybe you don't need to move to PS.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-04-2022 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Bunn, generally, once Penn South calls you to view apartments, it's too late to go on hold.

If you just bought an apartment, maybe you don't need to move to PS.
I know. I bought apt in Queens, but I really need a apt in the city...

Old 04-04-2022, 06:50 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
I know. I bought apt in Queens, but I really need a apt in the city...
As they say, it’s a good problem to have. I suspect you will have a lot of questions to ask of Penn, and of where you bought, and possibly a lender. I have no answers.

Could it be arranged to lease out the Qns place and acquire the Penn unit at the same time? If rules say you had to sell the Qns place could your borrow against it until you get a good price?

Find out which lenders have experience at Penn.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:56 AM

Regarding lenders: If you view apartments and accept one, at your interview you will receive lots of paperwork from Penn South. In that batch will be information about the three current lenders that work with PS: The PS credit union, the American Broadcast Employees Federal Credit Union, and https://www.uhab.org/

There are only a handful of lenders because commercial banks don't write mortgages for limited-equity co-ops. The reason is if you default, your apartment can't be taken over by the bank for resale.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:33 AM

This article goes into way more detail than I need to know, personally. But I guess the point is that even in an egalitarian community like Penn South, some people just have to feel that they have something that others don't have and get satisfaction in excluding their neighbors!

Also, the secrecy on the part of the Penn South board is troubling and needs to be addressed.

(Article might be behind a pay wall.)

‘I’m Not Sure Whether I Wanted It to Go This Far’ A fight over garden-bed rotations and democratic living at one of the city’s most storied co-ops.

...The drama about the garden wasn’t new, exactly. The space is a small haven in the neighborhood, nestled between the southwest corner of 25th Street and Ninth Avenue and the backside of a Greek Orthodox church. Patches — the preferred terminology among senior residents because “plots” is a bit too reminiscent of “graves” — border a pergola and a collection of wrought-iron chairs and tables. In peak summer, the garden is lush with vegetables and flowers; the sound of church bells marks the time. But space was limited even before the pandemic: Only 125 members can access the garden — which requires a key to enter — a sliver of the co-op’s 5,000 residents.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/04/penn-...den-fight.html

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-06-2022 at 07:57 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 13,508 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh man...

Quote:
50s…
Strange, I've been in the active 40s for a studio and haven't gotten any emails/calls/letters to view apartments (it's like I've been skipped). I hope this means I will be contacted soon, though (fingers crossed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery