Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 07:15 PM

269 posts, read 334,556 times

Advertisements

Has anyone from 2019 received a "computer number" or anything at all in FEB from Penn South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:18 PM

67 posts, read 105,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
Has anyone from 2019 received a "computer number" or anything at all in FEB from Penn South?
They're still working on updating the waiting list. Check Penn South's website for the most up to date information regarding the update. As of now, it is slated for release in March.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:25 PM

269 posts, read 334,556 times
Thank you! I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything because language on application suggested we would be able to login by FEB.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:19 PM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye212 View Post
Can anyone explain the process once your number is called?

1.) Scheduling to view apartments... do you see more than one?

2.) Deciding. What is the timeline toward closing, and are they flexible? I imagine it takes a bit of coordination for people to break leases and what not before moving.

3.) What is living in Penn South really like?
Hey Eye212,

Dreamer and Incog explained the process very well. I just want to add my experience too.

I saw 4 studios in early July, but I was 15th on the list so I figured I wouldn't get one. I was getting anxious in September because I hadn't gotten any more viewing letters. My lease was up on December 1st, and I know that it takes a couple of months for the process to be completed.

I did not receive any more letters to view, BUT, out of the blue the first week of October I got the call from Carmen. She offered me an apartment, and it was the one I really wanted! The person who originally got it had "cancelled". That could mean anything, but that person either didn't have the money or didn't qualify in other ways. They check your credit, criminal background, do a home visit, and then of course there's the tax and income verification.

So, I looked at the apartment again the same day she called, met with her the very next day, and started the process to get the apartment. I closed the first week of November, and I moved in 3 weeks later (they give you 3 months to move in, but you still have to pay your maintenance charges). I even had a week to get my old apartment clean so I could get my deposit back with no hassle. Everything just clicked and I feel very lucky and grateful.

So in my case I got an apartment that I had looked at 3 months previously, with no expectation of getting it. So put their number in your phone as Penn South so you answer when you get the call! I know we all get robo calls and scam calls, etc., and sometimes I don't answer my phone when I don't recognize the number, but I put them in and knew that there was only one reason for them to call. Also, I think Incog gave us this idea, which I did and it was helpful: Sign up with the Post Office to get an email showing you what mail you're getting that day. If you see something from Mutual Redevelopment Houses, run home and wait for your mail carrier!

I love living here! There's so much green space, and all the neighbors are so nice!

Good luck to you and all on the 2019 list! (And anyone still on the 2014 list!)

hkcg

Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Anyone else keep looking at the apartment layouts? lol
Shadypines,

Not only did I look at them, I printed out each apartment layout and made scale furniture cut out of brightly colored index cards so I could see what would fit. I actually wrote on the layout that I wanted: "This is my Penn South apartment in 2019". And guess what? That is my PS apartment. So keep looking at the apartment layouts.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
Thanks! We closed this afternoon and funny enough as we’re going back to our place my wife said there won’t be any excitement about checking the mail.

Walked int and checked the mail and there was a letter from Penn South. Asking us to resubmit our application since we had initially chose the “with/without balcony†option.
Congratulations!

Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
Those who were/are on the 2014 waiting list for a studio, how long did you/have you been waiting? What is the usual wait time for a studio?
I was close to the end of the 2014 studio list, and it took me 5 years. It's hard to say what the "usual" wait time is because there are several factors involved such as your waitlist number and available apartments.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irachka09 View Post
Hi all. Does penn south allows to hang curtain rods or window shades?
Tia
I got "temporary" shades from Home Depot that really look great! I have 2 large windows and one in the kitchen, and it cost less than 25 bucks for the shades. I haven't gotten new ones yet because they look good and that makes it easy to not make a decision on permanent shades. They just stick up on the frame. Looking at other people's windows, I can see that they also have "temporary" shades.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM

67 posts, read 94,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
I was close to the end of the 2014 studio list, and it took me 5 years. It's hard to say what the "usual" wait time is because there are several factors involved such as your waitlist number and available apartments.
Thank you!! I'm so happy for you! I also printed out all of the studio floor plans to start planning even though it may be a long time from now.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:24 AM

67 posts, read 94,470 times
Are the studios you saw spacious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery