Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 09:28 PM

26 posts, read 32,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseasminesnow View Post
Try applicant@pennsouth.coop. This was the one sent in the waiting list email.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM

233 posts, read 403,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Thanks, hkcg! It's great to have current Penn South residents participating on this board!
Please feel free to ask any questions. When I was waiting, I was so grateful for the people on the list who got apartments and were able to give us any information. The one piece of information that sticks out for me is that everyone who went through the process said that once they offer you an apartment, things happen pretty quickly. I closed a month after looking at the apartment for the second time (the person it was originally offered to had to cancel), and I moved in 3 weeks later.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyzl10 View Post
Thanks hkcg! How do you like living at penn south so far!
I love it! And it's not just the amazing financial benefits - you really feel part of a community. I volunteer for the PS Senior Center to shop for people who don't want to go out during this time, so I've been walking around and seeing the different buildings and landscaping. There are benches everywhere and gorgeous flowers, along with some very friendly squirrels! You can sit on a bench and before you know it you've got lots of friends gathered around you like you're some Disney princess.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:26 AM

15 posts, read 20,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara11 View Post
My story is this. My Dad told me about the lottery (he’s a Stuyvesant Town renter) and entered me! I was happy in my Brooklyn apt but was excited for a future opportunity. I had heard it could take 6, 7, 8, nine years. I was fine with that. I said well then, I’ll choose balcony. That slowed things way down and it was out of mind. I even got married and divorced in that time. In 2014 I got a letter to view. I went and accepted some apts but there were people ahead of me, thank goodness. I turned one down. I was recently divorced and not financially ready. My Dad, again gave me advice (I’m not young my Dad is now 84) and said put it on hold. I didn’t know you could. I emailed Carmen for a five year freeze. I got a letter 2 months after the five years were up Jan 2020 saying freeze was over. Shortly after I was given something like 14 apts to view. I had left my old job and just got a new one. I have money for down payment. I viewed a bunch of apts on Feb 27th. Then came pandemic. That’s my long story of how I’ve been on the list since 2003. Really I think it’s all about the balcony! They’ve changed the policy and I got in the full one bedroom pool. I plan to be a Penn South resident soon.
Your story is similar to my Daughter’s :-). I entered her in the 2014 lottery right before she graduated from College and she got an apartment last year. She loves living there and now I’m on the 2019 list. Hope you hear back soon!

Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 AM

26 posts, read 32,719 times
That’s Great, Nativ NY 4 Life. And I like your handle!

Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara11 View Post
My story is this. My Dad told me about the lottery (he’s a Stuyvesant Town renter) and entered me! I was happy in my Brooklyn apt but was excited for a future opportunity. I had heard it could take 6, 7, 8, nine years. I was fine with that. I said well then, I’ll choose balcony. That slowed things way down and it was out of mind. I even got married and divorced in that time. In 2014 I got a letter to view. I went and accepted some apts but there were people ahead of me, thank goodness. I turned one down. I was recently divorced and not financially ready. My Dad, again gave me advice (I’m not young my Dad is now 84) and said put it on hold. I didn’t know you could. I emailed Carmen for a five year freeze. I got a letter 2 months after the five years were up Jan 2020 saying freeze was over. Shortly after I was given something like 14 apts to view. I had left my old job and just got a new one. I have money for down payment. I viewed a bunch of apts on Feb 27th. Then came pandemic. That’s my long story of how I’ve been on the list since 2003. Really I think it’s all about the balcony! They’ve changed the policy and I got in the full one bedroom pool. I plan to be a Penn South resident soon.
Thanks for posting your story, Cara11. I know that we all looked at the waiting list years and numbers and wondered why there are people still on the list from 2003 or before! I know that there can be any number of reasons, and it's great that you're back and ready to get an apartment.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM

67 posts, read 94,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Please feel free to ask any questions. When I was waiting, I was so grateful for the people on the list who got apartments and were able to give us any information. The one piece of information that sticks out for me is that everyone who went through the process said that once they offer you an apartment, things happen pretty quickly. I closed a month after looking at the apartment for the second time (the person it was originally offered to had to cancel), and I moved in 3 weeks later.

Congrats on moving in!! We all can't wait for the day we can move in and pass on all the knowledge we've gained by going through the experience.

Regarding construction, does the board allow residents to move/remove walls within their unit? Some of the kitchens have a lot of space, which is great, but would we be allowed to move it to get a little more living space. Or can we demo the wall and build a bar top to open the space up a little?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 11,433 times
Default Cheers to the residents on this board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Thanks, hkcg! It's great to have current Penn South residents participating on this board!
I couldn't agree more!
The residents still contributing to this board provide such useful, valuable, and often refreshing information. This speaks so well for the community of Penn South and the people who live there.
A heartfelt THANK YOU from this hopefully future resident and neighbor.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 AM

430 posts, read 505,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
Congrats on moving in!! We all can't wait for the day we can move in and pass on all the knowledge we've gained by going through the experience.

Regarding construction, does the board allow residents to move/remove walls within their unit? Some of the kitchens have a lot of space, which is great, but would we be allowed to move it to get a little more living space. Or can we demo the wall and build a bar top to open the space up a little?
sometimes, depends on the plan and subject to approval by the board. there's a discussion on the PS FB group now about someone's potential renovations. generally if a plan involves moving pipes (gas or water), it won't be approved.

ALSO, know that there is a restoration fee for when you move out the apartment to restore the space to the old set-up.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:14 AM

67 posts, read 94,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
sometimes, depends on the plan and subject to approval by the board. there's a discussion on the PS FB group now about someone's potential renovations. generally if a plan involves moving pipes (gas or water), it won't be approved.

ALSO, know that there is a restoration fee for when you move out the apartment to restore the space to the old set-up.
Thanks! As long as the wall does not contain any piping, it should be approved?

Also does noise travel through the walls easily? If a resident were to have a small dinner party, is that something all neighbors would hear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery