Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

MollieMay, that does sound stressful! I’m sorry you were placed in this position. I imagine applicants might end up having to accept an apartment sight unseen. That is not ideal!

Thank you for this great information. This also lets people here know that they have to freeze their application before being called for view apartments. I’m surprised PS wouldn’t make an exception for you in a time of a global health emergency. It sounds pretty heartless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 29,789 times
My daughter froze her application after being called twice to see apartments. Carmen said she could freeze it for 5 years.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 74,278 times
MollieMay, thanks for the great info and the tips.

No flooring in the closet/kitchen? That's very horrible management.

When my brother was called to view the apartments in East Midtown Plaza 3 years ago, the floors of the apartments were polished and the walls were freshly painted. The appearance of the apartments were very appealing and you would immediately be attracted to it. However, there is no free meal. My brother was charged an extra $2000 in addition to the closing cost.

East Midtown Plaza has board meeting every month and they will send every cooperators monthly minutes listing which wait number is up to for each room size. Very transparent. It seems EMP management runs much better than Pennsouth.

I wonder: If there are 20 apartments available to be seen, the line for one bedroom waitlist should be moving at a much faster pace. Right?

Old 03-12-2021, 01:14 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
EMP is itching to privatize though, and Penn South consistently votes against it.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
It's well known that the apartments in Penn South don't have flooring in the kitchen and closets. Why? I have no idea.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:40 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's well known that the apartments in Penn South don't have flooring in the kitchen and closets. Why? I have no idea.
thank you for stating this. It is always mentioned that new residents are responsible for fridge, stove, flooring for kitchen and closets. Though i believe a lot of the time, the flooring for the closets remain from the prior owner if they are in good condition. They were for my apartment.

And i will say, i love the italian floor tiles we installed in our kitchen. They are much better than the stickies that were there before we moved.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:06 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
To be fair, do you need to see ALL 20 apartments? Aren't they essentially the same in certain lines? For instance, for studios, there are 10 variations. So if you've seen all 10 variations do you need to see the other 10? And since you can't reject more than two (I believe) you're eventually going to be saying yes to pretty much anything they offer. I'm pretty much willing to just take any apartment there sight unseen given you have to do the flooring and get appliances for any apartment you're offered because of those circumstances.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
thank you for stating this. It is always mentioned that new residents are responsible for fridge, stove, flooring for kitchen and closets. Though i believe a lot of the time, the flooring for the closets remain from the prior owner if they are in good condition. They were for my apartment.

And i will say, i love the italian floor tiles we installed in our kitchen. They are much better than the stickies that were there before we moved.
I was actually super curious what kind of flooring people who have moved in have put down. I cannot tell the difference or what is better quality from my initial searches on websites.

Too many choices paralyze me!

Old 03-13-2021, 09:32 PM

18 posts, read 25,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple3 View Post
Has anyone on the 2-bedroom external list been recently called to view apartments? I'm trying to figure out the how many more years I'll have to wait. :/
thinking of the same question here too . Hopefully someone could provide a close estimate of when we could potentially move in. I am in the mid of the 200 on the external list for 2Bd too. From what ppl say in this forum maybe 5 years or more. I was thinking of putting my application on hold but since it's a long waiting anyway, I am just gonna wait and save. Meanwhile, I am searching other affordable rental or lotteries cause my current apt rent is over 45% of my income and I won't be able to save while paying high rent.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:56 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
To be fair, do you need to see ALL 20 apartments? Aren't they essentially the same in certain lines? For instance, for studios, there are 10 variations. So if you've seen all 10 variations do you need to see the other 10? And since you can't reject more than two (I believe) you're eventually going to be saying yes to pretty much anything they offer. I'm pretty much willing to just take any apartment there sight unseen given you have to do the flooring and get appliances for any apartment you're offered because of those circumstances.
I would want to see them all. Some people might have different flooring or have made other changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery