Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 03:26 PM

106 posts, read 177,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple3 View Post
Has anyone on the 2-bedroom external list been recently called to view apartments? I'm trying to figure out the how many more years I'll have to wait. :/
I’d love to know too. The list is so confusing, considering the first application on the active list is from decades ago. It’s hard to figure out how many people are *actually* in front of me. I know people from the 2014 lottery have gotten in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:41 PM

16 posts, read 20,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I'm sorry you experienced seeing such terrible apartments. I'm very surprised from all that people have posted over the years that they would show apartments with so many issues or that there are even this amount of issues in the complex.

Are we all being sold a bill of goods about this place?
I think you get what you pay for. For the price, it's a steal. But no one would tolerate what they make you put up with if you were paying market rate for these units. I know my aunt wishes she never moved in. But then prices got so out of control she didn't really have a choice but to stay.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 20,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynMary View Post
I’d love to know too. The list is so confusing, considering the first application on the active list is from decades ago. It’s hard to figure out how many people are *actually* in front of me. I know people from the 2014 lottery have gotten in.
There are 22 people from the 1976-2003 lists on the 1 bedroom listed as active, and then there are about 80 people from the 2014 list, with numbers ranging from 5 - 3000 + some transfers (presumably family composition changed). The 2019s start around #100, again all from the actives. Hope that helps for the other lists.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:59 AM

67 posts, read 94,535 times
Moved up 2 spots on the studio list! Most likely just people putting their app on hold, but it's still exciting to see!

Old 03-16-2021, 07:00 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieMay View Post
I think you get what you pay for. For the price, it's a steal. But no one would tolerate what they make you put up with if you were paying market rate for these units. I know my aunt wishes she never moved in. But then prices got so out of control she didn't really have a choice but to stay.
You know what's sad is 100K is still a lot of money. It is a good deal of course. I think ML are more a steal and Penn South is a good deal.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 PM

43 posts, read 74,352 times
Moved up one spot on the 1 bedroom list.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 21,625 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
Moved up 2 spots on the studio list! Most likely just people putting their app on hold, but it's still exciting to see!
Quote:
Most likely just people putting their app on hold,
Why?

Old 03-18-2021, 02:57 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,641 times
Because it's a lot of money to cough up.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieMay View Post
There are 22 people from the 1976-2003 lists on the 1 bedroom listed as active, and then there are about 80 people from the 2014 list, with numbers ranging from 5 - 3000 + some transfers (presumably family composition changed). The 2019s start around #100, again all from the actives. Hope that helps for the other lists.
Here is my theory about the waiting list:

There are many people on the list from years ago who are listed as “active” but are not truly active. I think PS has tried to reach them but did not get a reply. I'm guessing that PS is reluctant to actually remove them from the list.

There are many people on the list listed as “on hold,” and my theory is that years ago, there was no five-year limit for being on hold.

I think that at some point in the not-too-distant past, PS made an attempt to purge these people off the list and was successful. If you read the Penn South 2014 lottery thread, people there report moving up hundreds of places all of a sudden.

Also, a friend of mine was called to view apartments a couple of years ago and wasn't ready. She tried to put her application on hold but was told she couldn't, once she was called. I don't know how long she was on the list, or if she was on hold previously. But obviously, in PS's opinion, it was, “Fish or cut bait.” (That's the clean version.) She refused the apartments and was told “buh bye.”

As far as calculating where you stand, one way is to pay attention to this forum and, with luck, someone will come here to report. For instance, MollieMay said she was called to view one-bedrooms when she was in the mid-65s on that list. That is super helpful information. Assuming there are about 70 one-bedrooms in PS that are vacated each year (judging from 2016, the last year I saw info for), you can do a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

As far as my daughter is concerned, she is in luck, because shadypinesma is a couple of places ahead of her on the one-bedroom list, and I am counting on shady to let us all know when she's called!

Old 03-20-2021, 12:47 PM

269 posts, read 334,700 times
That information is really sensible and helpful. Thank you! I need to ask for some help on residency while you are on the list. I currently live in Manhattan and am planning to move to Queens (to save money for a few years while I wait). I know NYC residency is required, but does the borough matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery