Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 08:54 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
I did read that from the 2014 forum, but I think that was an exception. Most of the recent reports from people who were called, were called when they were much closer.
I believe that in recent years Penn South has cleaned up the list and knocked off some people who were either unreachable and/or indecisive. I mean, if you're really interested, you would inform Penn South of your new address and phone number, not just disappear.

So I expect that the people being called now will be closer to 1 than previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Can anyone living in Penn South let me know what exactly allows a person to move to a larger apartment?

For example, I am 100% childfree and will not be planning on kids but in the future I will most likely be my dad's and my aunt's caretaker. If I move them in after becoming a tenant does that qualify me for an internal transfer to a 3 bedroom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
No.
There are minimum occupancy requirements:

Studio apartments: one or two people.
One-bedroom apartments: one to three people.
Two bedroom apartments: no fewer than three people of any age, or a single parent with a child.
Three bedroom apartments: no fewer than four people.
Would those people have to be living with you before they let you put in for a transfer to a bigger apartment?

Old 04-29-2021, 10:25 AM

430 posts, read 505,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Would those people have to be living with you before they let you put in for a transfer to a bigger apartment?
Yes. They will need to appear on the income affidavit (thus living with you) for at least 2 years before one can qualify to be placed on the internal waiting list for a bigger apartment. this is assuming whoever is the owner of the apartment has been living in the same apartment for 3 years.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:20 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,641 times
So they'd make four people live in a one bed for three years before being able to request a larger apartment? That doesn't seem right.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:52 PM

430 posts, read 505,393 times
Quote:
So they'd make four people live in a one bed for three years before being able to request a larger apartment? That doesn't seem right.
No one is forcing you to do anything.
You are choosing to have two individuals move into a one-bedroom with you.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:37 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
I agree.
Also I think it's pretty amazing the even let people transfer to larger apartments after a few years. They could just say nope you were chosen for a One bedroom. That's what you get.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about forcing? It's a simple observation.

So by that same token they make new parents wait three years before a transfer? That also doesn't seem right to me. My ML (granted, Penn South is not an ML) lets people request a transfer even if the woman is pregnant.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I agree.
Also I think it's pretty amazing the even let people transfer to larger apartments after a few years. They could just say nope you were chosen for a One bedroom. That's what you get.
I disagree on this, even if I weren't expecting my family members to move in. It's not fair to expect someone's lifetime family composition to NEVER change.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:13 AM

269 posts, read 334,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I believe that in recent years Penn South has cleaned up the list and knocked off some people who were either unreachable and/or indecisive. I mean, if you're really interested, you would inform Penn South of your new address and phone number, not just disappear.

So I expect that the people being called now will be closer to 1 than previously.
Thanks macnyc2003 - I hope they are doing that. I was on the site yesterday looking for the instructions to change address. Do you know what Penn South asks?

Old 04-30-2021, 05:54 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
Quote:
Who said anything about forcing? It's a simple observation.

So by that same token they make new parents wait three years before a transfer? That also doesn't seem right to me. My ML (granted, Penn South is not an ML) lets people request a transfer even if the woman is pregnant.
New parents have to wait only a year before getting on the PS internal transfer list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery