Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 07:10 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
Thanks macnyc2003 - I hope they are doing that. I was on the site yesterday looking for the instructions to change address. Do you know what Penn South asks?
I'm sorry, I don't know how to change an address. Years ago people would send a certified letter to the office. You can try emailing. Maybe someone here can give you the correct email address.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-30-2021 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 09:25 AM

106 posts, read 177,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
Thanks macnyc2003 - I hope they are doing that. I was on the site yesterday looking for the instructions to change address. Do you know what Penn South asks?
To let them know of an address change, email applicant@pennsouth.coop

Old 04-30-2021, 11:13 AM

269 posts, read 334,700 times
Great! Thanks, that's what I did. They replied to a previous question about my move from Manhattan to Queens.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:43 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I disagree on this, even if I weren't expecting my family members to move in. It's not fair to expect someone's lifetime family composition to NEVER change.
Yes which is why the let you transfer to a different apartment.
Why should you get a larger apartment when the people aren't even living with you. When there may be a family of 4 already living in a One bedroom?

Old 05-01-2021, 03:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,641 times
I think you misunderstood me.

I asked--if a person lives in the apartment for three years and has to take care of elderly relatives who move in, is that person then entitled to a transfer to a larger apartment? Nobody asked about getting on the list for a larger apartment now; rather, about getting a larger apartment when family composition changes.

Last edited by shadypinesma; 05-01-2021 at 03:50 AM..

Old 05-01-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:

I asked--if a person lives in the apartment for three years and has to take care of elderly relatives who move in, is that person then entitled to a transfer to a larger apartment? Nobody asked about getting on the list for a larger apartment now; rather, about getting a larger apartment when family composition changes.
No I understood.
I personally agree that all family members should be living in that apartment for 3 years before you can be allowed to ask for a transfer.
Maybe Penn South isn't the right fit for you since you know in the future you will be having others move in with you and you don't agree with their policy.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:43 AM

430 posts, read 505,393 times
Quote:

That theoretical person would not be entitled to anything. That person would be eligible to get on the waitlist for a larger apartment. the elderly relatives would have to prove they are penn south residents ie their names and incomes need to be listed on the affidavit for 2 consecutive years and actually live there.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:09 AM

You two need to simmer down lol.

It was an innocent question. I am not taking myself off the list; I comply with rules I don't like all the time. Why should this be different?

Old 05-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
You two need to simmer down lol.

It was an innocent question. I am not taking myself off the list; I comply with rules I don't like all the time. Why should this be different?
No one is simmering. Dreamer was just stating the rules since they live there and know them and I was just agreeing with them.
You're the one complaining how unfair they are. If that's the case then don't spend 100K to live here and live in a ML who rules suit you better instead.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:08 PM

You really have no reason to be snipping at me. I thought this was a discussion forum? In no way, shape, or form am I even thinking of complaining about Penn South. I recognize it is an amazing opportunity. I am simply saying that making someone wait three years with an enlarged family doesn't seem right. It seems unnecessarily harsh, considering that PS' rules are across the board very fair.

For what it's worth as per Mitchell Lama rules you only need be on the income affidavit one year to be considered a family member for internal transfer purposes. This one year period is waived for enlargement of family due to adoption or the birth of a child. So, if PS follows Mitchell Lama rules--and on this, I think they do--then you're both unfortunately incorrect and any person who is in PS and who adds a family member into their home need only wait one year (aka one income affidavit) for them to be considered for an internal transfer because of family composition change. I have no idea whether or not this one year wait time is from the moment you enter the apartment, or the one year following the third year of living there in which all cooperators are eligible for internal transfers regardless of change in family composition.

"A tenant/cooperator on an internal transfer list, whose household composition so changes as to render him or her ineligible for the apartment size requested, shall be placed on the appropriate size apartment list as of the date when the change occurred or the date the original request is made, whichever is later; provided, however, that, except for enlargement of a household due to birth or adoption, the change to a larger household composition must have occurred at least one year prior to placement on the internal transfer list.

[...]

The tenant/cooperator must meet the occupancy standards for the size apartment requested at the time that he or she places his or her name on the internal transfer list and must have been in residence for a period of no less than one year before he or she may request a transfer to a larger apartment."

Last edited by shadypinesma; 05-01-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery