Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,868,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Man, if I get this one, it'll be wayyy cheaper than the studio I'm paying for! It's crazy I'm paying this much when I can get a one bedroom at Essex for far less! I also qualify for the 165 AMI, and unbelievably the rent in the studio category would still be a bargain for the "affordable" lottery unit I'm paying for now.
The 130 AMI studio is hundreds cheaper than mine too but the 165 AMI for the studio is a bit more than I currently pay. It would hurt less if it had an in unit w/d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 01:55 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,038,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
The 130 AMI studio is hundreds cheaper than mine too but the 165 AMI for the studio is a bit more than I currently pay. It would hurt less if it had an in unit w/d
The 130 AMI stufio is almost $300 cheaper than mine too! And my present one was one of the few lottery ones I could actually afford. I could swing the 130 AMI one bedroom too. My income also falls within the 165 bracket for a studio only, but the studio isn't all that affordable for me - that is the one drawback.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 AM

12 posts, read 13,456 times
I live not to far from Essex and see this building all the time I’m in the 60 ami so I have my fingers crossed

Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
Let me tell you, the in-unit w/d makes a big difference in life. You can live with an in-building laundry room, it's not the worst, but it's so much more convenient to throw things in the w/d whenever you want and not have to worry about staying on top of the process (or having anything mistakenly taken/stolen). Hauling laundry outside the building? Nightmare. I used to live in a building where the landlord owned three townhouses in a row and only one of them had a laundry room. Less risk of theft than a commercial laundry but the hauling up and down all those steps...

Old 02-06-2020, 11:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,868,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Let me tell you, the in-unit w/d makes a big difference in life. You can live with an in-building laundry room, it's not the worst, but it's so much more convenient to throw things in the w/d whenever you want and not have to worry about staying on top of the process (or having anything mistakenly taken/stolen). Hauling laundry outside the building? Nightmare. I used to live in a building where the landlord owned three townhouses in a row and only one of them had a laundry room. Less risk of theft than a commercial laundry but the hauling up and down all those steps...
Unfortunately it is in my building, also move expensive on every level than it is doing laundry outside. That in addition to having to make sure you check the washing machine for pet hair - pretty gross.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,986 times
They mention "Onsite Laundry Facility" on their website - www.essexcrossingsite4.com

Last edited by invinciblesummer; 02-11-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,620,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invinciblesummer View Post
They mention "Onsite Laundry Facility" on their website - Essex Crossing Site 4
God damnit. Oh well, still applied to see if I fall in 130% AMI. I get weird results from the reviews that are lower than my W2 income and a 1/2bd for me and my girlfriend would be worth it. If I get stuck in 165% AMI though, which to me I qualify for, then screw it, staying in the Essex. In unit w/d is a life changer, though I miss my old laundromat on Allen St. Still stop by to wash my comforter and say hi.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
I'm skeptical, still, because the official advertisement doesn't include it and I don't figure market rate tenants in a new building at whatever crazy rents they'll be charging (seriously, when you back out the incentives Essex one-beds are north of $6K/mo.) NOT to have w/d! But I guess we'll see.

How I would grieve for you, Javawood, stuck living the good life on a high floor of the Essex. But a one-bed really is better for a couple than a studio.

Felix the tailor on Allen St. is really nice.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,592,897 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical, still, because the official advertisement doesn't include it and I don't figure market rate tenants in a new building at whatever crazy rents they'll be charging (seriously, when you back out the incentives Essex one-beds are north of $6K/mo.) NOT to have w/d! But I guess we'll see.

How I would grieve for you, Javawood, stuck living the good life on a high floor of the Essex. But a one-bed really is better for a couple than a studio.

They would give the market-rate people a washer/dryer and an extra closet (which is also nice to have) for the lottery folks.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,620,627 times
Quote:

Yeah, we could trade apartments, but a lottery is a lottery lol. Truly first world problems. Still wondering what happened when they assumed I didn't want an apartment though. I should stop by and say hi at some point, I'm just so terribly busy since I started my masters. Adding that in with work and Japanese classes was painful, but the end result will be worth it. Still trying to figure out how to navigate a glider in radians after determining a rough location with a particle filter without going in circles, ugh.

Doesn't help that when I do have free time, I default to going to see my favorite bartenders

Felix is great, he's sown my ripped shirts for dirt cheap for years. I love him. I actually need to stop by soon for a few more. I don't want to throw away my nice clothes I inherited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery