Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 04:14 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times

Advertisements

Its not a depressing vibe either. The LES somehow still retained some of nyc old school grit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
To me, Delancey itself feels a little grim and industrial (how could it not, being as big as it is), but walk a couple blocks and you are into some true neighborhoods.

It's estimated that about 50% of EV residents left town when the virus hit, but only about 10% of LES residents. I think that gives you some idea of how rooted the people are.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
To me, Delancey itself feels a little grim and industrial (how could it not, being as big as it is), but walk a couple blocks and you are into some true neighborhoods.

It's estimated that about 50% of EV residents left town when the virus hit, but only about 10% of LES residents. I think that gives you some idea of how rooted the people are.
understandable

Old 05-29-2020, 01:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

Most of the bartenders I know in the LES are from NYC in some way or another. I've been keeping up with them. While I went to Japan, I only have NYC to call home though I'm sure that doesn't help that I am part of that 10%. Of all the bartenders, only 1 left to Houston, maybe 1 other to Indy but I don't have his contact. The rest are at their apartments in Brooklyn, though a few live down in the LES and the lower end of EV as well. 1 might be in LA or at his place in UWS, I think he came back.

I was actually texting a bartender at Antlers, going to pick up some Tower Records memorabilia since he used to be in a punk rock band in the 90s that practiced in SI. Still shooting the **** with the owner of RPM too haha. Turns out he may also own Marshal Stack, Antlers, and a few other places. An irony is that there is a Matt at every bar in that lineup given his name is Matt. God I love the LES, the simple things appease me in such dumb ways.

The W/D really makes it though with Essex Crossing for me. I loved my old laundromat and still stop by there to wash my huge comforter. Chinese lady that used to live in the building next to the one I lived on on Allen St. Would always ask when I'd be stopping by next since I was irregular with my schedule. At first I missed that greatly, but not having to lug that laundry anywhere is really a godsend.

C'mon 2bd with 130% AMI and 25xxx log with CB... debating if I want to swap studios. A drop in $400/mo is pretty good, but damn, we're on an amazingly high floor and it's silent compared to almost anywhere else in the LES. The Essex was an amazing deal, even if it's slightly more than the rundown apartments closer to the street. No cockroaches is a godsend too. I want to live in Forest Hills one day in my life, but I can't get a better apartment at the price, even in another city, where I could maintain lifestyle and pay among other things.

Last edited by Javawood; 05-29-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 01:19 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
understandable
HellUp What's your log number, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 05-29-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
HellUp What's your log number, if you don't mind my asking?
high 60's

not concerned because anything is possible

if i dont get essex ill get somethin 5x better

Old 05-29-2020, 03:35 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
high 60's

not concerned because anything is possible

if i dont get essex ill get somethin 5x better
I had a very high log number for the one I won in Astoria - a one bedroom with views to Manhattan and a balcony, so you never know

Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
It's DAMN quiet now.

My 1-bed isn't cheap but it's probably one of the best values-for-money at that price point in the city, if you leave out the lack of character of the place. Thank God for the w/d, I'd hate to try to be managing outside laundry right now. And when you're working from home, suddenly that d/w is running every day!

There's 25 floors in 180 Broome; you could still get lucky and get another high-floor unit.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:44 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
When kids were throwing eggs at The Essex's **** brown exterior LOL https://www.boweryboogie.com/2018/04/are-angry-neighbors-egging-essex-crossing/

Old 06-01-2020, 09:41 PM

39 posts, read 55,501 times
Did anyone get call for the interview/next process yet ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery