Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 02:16 PM

60 posts, read 50,279 times

Advertisements

i'm delighted to report i just got the call that i am officially approved! they'll be back to me with more details soon about when i can move in etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 02:28 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th street View Post
To all future tenants!
If they offer you an apartment facing Delancey and Williamsburg bridge do yourself a big favour and don’t accept! I am not sleeping at all! The noice is horrible 24/7. Beside the bridge noice a block away is fire and police department..
They should install a sound proof windows but they are not.
Also over weekend we have to put A/C, on it was a very hot in the apartment .. we do have a corner apartment! Can you imagine what will happen on summer?
I am planning to talk with our building manager to see how they can help to solve this huge problem!
The back of the Bilding is probably much more quiet!
We are regretting moving in! We spent a lot of money buying a new furniture and moving expenses!
This might sound like a dumb suggestion, but make sure your windows are securely and completely closed.

I'm saying this because it happened to me. And also, it's odd for new, double-paned (I'm assuming) windows to not block sound. They are manufactured to limit heat loss and so usually block sound in the bargain.

When I moved into my apartment, I had a sleepless first night here because it was so noisy. I could hear buses' brakes screeching all night. In the morning, I noticed that while I had closed the window, I hadn't turned the clasp the whole way, and the window was open a crack.

Also, on both sides of my windows, on the frame, there are two small ventilator thingies. They allow air to come in while the window is closed. Mine open and shut with a little lever. You may want to examine your windows for anything like that.

Couldn't hurt! Best of luck!

Old 11-13-2020, 04:07 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,929,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
i'm delighted to report i just got the call that i am officially approved! they'll be back to me with more details soon about when i can move in etc...

congratssss

what size apt?

Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
congratssss

what size apt?
thank you! : )

it is a studio, a bit different of a layout than the floorplans on the site - there is a separate foyer area that separates the space nicely so, a bit bigger than i was expecting and certainly an upgrade from my current apt.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:54 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,929,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
thank you! : )

it is a studio, a bit different of a layout than the floorplans on the site - there is a separate foyer area that separates the space nicely so, a bit bigger than i was expecting and certainly an upgrade from my current apt.
that’s wonderful news

grab something from the sugar sweet bakery at the Essex market and Gallo moscato to celebrate when u move in

Old 11-13-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
that’s wonderful news

grab something from the sugar sweet bakery at the Essex market and Gallo moscato to celebrate when u move in
twist my arm!! thanks so much for the positive vibes and have a fabulous weekend.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 AM

3,160 posts, read 2,765,878 times
"This might sound like a dumb suggestion, but make sure your windows are securely and completely closed."

I have the same issue with my windows. I can turn the window lever even though it's jussssst slightly not completely closed, and then a LOT more noise comes in. If I make sure it's completely closed (the lever takes a little more force to turn when it's completely shut), it's much quieter.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:21 AM

34 posts, read 42,460 times
Congrats @eastvillager2020!! All the waiting was worth it

Old 11-15-2020, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,171 times
Hi everyone- so happy I found this site. Has been very helpful. A few questions for fellow applicants-
Currently in the review process (post docusign) and viewing a 2 bedroom @ 165% AMI in the coming weeks.

1. If everything goes smoothly and we’re approved, how soon are we expected to sign and occupy the apartment? Any tips for breaking our current lease from those that have had to?
2. Does anyone have any information on additional fees for using the building amenities like the gym/common areas?
3. Anything else you feel like sharing about your process?

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggal2020 View Post
Congrats @eastvillager2020!! All the waiting was worth it
i certainly hope so! sending good vibes your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery