Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 12:21 PM

603 posts, read 598,964 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that just moved in Feb 1st. They really love it there. But it's for 130%...165% is tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 07:47 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
When I moved into a similar building, it was a little disconcerting, but the construction doesn't last forever and then you get everything new. Also, they shouldn't be charging for amenities if they aren't open yet!

165% AMI rent is def. high but if I were looking and felt confident I could afford it (which would mean being very near the high end of the allowed range), it wouldn't seem unreasonable for this particular building. Right now you can probably do just as well for similar money in a good neighborhood, but the minute life gets back to normal those rents are going to be CRANKED, so unless the alternative is also rent-stabilized, that has to be taken into account.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:28 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
So I’m not upset but as a side FYI - I think that the people who run this lottery are pretty lazy. They put me on a waitlist yesterday (even tho my log number is 2xxx and I was asked to submit paperwork back in August) because I provided paper documentation (due to security issues as I did not want to have my social security, driver ID and bank statements in someone’s gmail permanently) and have a side business with many receipts which I’m sure they didn’t feel like going over.

I don’t know why else they’d put me on a waitlist. My AMI is 130 and 165 and people with higher log numbers were called after I submitted my paperwork.

So as a lesson for people here, if you provide paper documentation, the process can take much longer or not take place at all.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM

105 posts, read 242,465 times
Has anyone moved in or seen a 2 bedroom apartment? Is it really small?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:47 PM

60 posts, read 49,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtowin View Post
Has anyone moved in or seen a 2 bedroom apartment? Is it really small?
i moved (into a studio) in dec. really like the building over all. i have peeked into a few apartments while they are working on them and saw a two bed on my floor - i thought it was a really nice size.

oddly enough while being nosy i was surprised to find my lottery studio is quite a bit bigger and laid out much better than the market rate studio next door. there was some debate on how small the studios are, i did a rough measurement of mine and guessing it is about 475 - 500 sqft.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:21 PM

I got an email from them today for the 165% studio. My salary is now too high for 165%, though, so I guess someone else will be getting it! Too bad, I would've at least liked to have a peek at it.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:49 PM

105 posts, read 242,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
i moved (into a studio) in dec. really like the building over all. i have peeked into a few apartments while they are working on them and saw a two bed on my floor - i thought it was a really nice size.

oddly enough while being nosy i was surprised to find my lottery studio is quite a bit bigger and laid out much better than the market rate studio next door. there was some debate on how small the studios are, i did a rough measurement of mine and guessing it is about 475 - 500 sqft.
Thanks! I’m in the Rollins now which is right next door but would consider a switch if the apts were bigger in this building. We just need slightly more room...

Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 PM

60 posts, read 49,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtowin View Post
Thanks! I’m in the Rollins now which is right next door but would consider a switch if the apts were bigger in this building. We just need slightly more room...
pleasure. the 2 bed floorplan on the artisan site right now is the one i had a look at and it felt spacious and airy in person.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 757 times
Default Can you ask about other availabilities?

If you are chosen for an available unit in the 185% AMI, can you ask if any of the 130% AMI units are available?

The cost of the studio in 185% AMI that I qualify for is only ~$200 difference than the website for the Artisan itself is listed for anyone to rent. How is that a lottery/ more affordable? $200 bucks?

Old 02-21-2021, 12:52 PM

You can only be considered for apartments you are income-eligible for.

Affordable apartments in the higher ranges are overpriced, but in this particular case the market-rate rents at that building must be pretty depressed due to its opening during a pandemic. Additionally, affordable apartments are rent-stabilized (or a contractual equivalent), which has its own real value. ”Luxury” rental buildings like that have long been notorious for bringing in new tenants with a slight discount to rent, then jacking it up hundreds of bucks once you're in. I think we're going to see some crazy jumps in market rents for renewals whenever we're through this crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery