Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:54 PM

3,134 posts, read 2,729,934 times

Advertisements

Log numbers are up.

This place looks terrifyingly 70s, but the location and amenities may appeal to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:05 AM

105 posts, read 242,626 times
I applied. Only 200 spots available and my log is 7xxx. I missed by a wide margin haha

Old 07-29-2020, 08:26 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
Is this on the old NYC Housing Connect?

I don't understand this lottery at all. It said on the PDF,

This waitlist will expire on July 1, 2020, at which point new applications
will be accepted through the updated Housing Connect 2.0
application system.

So, what are these log numbers for? The expired lottery? And there hasn't been anything at all on the updated Housing Connect!

Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,033,370 times
Yeah, it is confusing, but there was the same message for Putnam Apartments Waiting List (log 13,xxx) and I just got an email a couple of days ago to affirm my interest, so I'm not sure that message is correct. My number for Waterside is 7,xxx.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:52 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching my head over this one.

So just the lowest 200 people will be accepted? That's not a big number, even for a waiting list. I guess we shall see. A friend has applied, so I gave her the heads-up that the log numbers are posted.

I used to live in Waterside and still have friends there. It's a great place to live, if a bit remote, but that may appeal to many people.

The apartments in buildings 10, 20, and 30 are downright HUGE with great closets.

Building 40 was constructed for Section 8, and those apartments are smaller and were finished out with linoleum instead of wood parquet, stuff like that. I'm betting the lottery apartments have been renovated.

I'm curious to see if ALL the lottery apartments are in Building 40.

All the four tower buildings have doormen. There are also duplex townhouses, without doormen.

The plaza has been upgraded since I lived there, when it was a vast expanse of cracking concrete. Now it's a very pleasant and usable area with water features, trees, and even a family of mallard ducks raising babies in the pond!

There's a playground for kids and the health club is nice, with a pool under a glass ceiling.

The garage is super convenient, just an elevator ride away.

There's a major ferry stop at 34th Street.

Also, dogs seem to be allowed now, although I'm not sure if it's totally legal.

I can answer questions if anyone is curious.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 07-29-2020 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 AM

3,134 posts, read 2,729,934 times
Yeah, I can only assume that they didn't bother to update the boilerplate from the LAST time they did a lottery to replenish the waitlist--that or for some reason they decided to go ahead and do it early and didn't change the text to reflect that (maybe they didn't believe in HC2 being done on time?). Obviously a waitlist that wasn't even created before July 1 couldn't be expired on July 1.

For that reason, it's hard to know how accurate the rest of the statements about the process are. I got a pretty low number--but not lower than 150!

If Building 40 is all section 8, it can't be all lottery, as half the tenants will not qualify for that program.

It seems like it'd be a good choice if you have a car and use it to get to work. Otherwise a bit remote, but maybe some people prefer that.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Building 40 is no longer all Section 8. There are market-rate tenants in there now. It was built for Section 8, and that's why the units are smaller.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:43 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
I usually run at waterside plaza as I live nearby and saw that there is access to ferries over at Stuyvesant cove. The ferry goes to Wall Street, Astoria and even Far Rockaway - all for only 2.75 each way.

I didn’t apply to this one as it’s a waiting list, but good luck to all who have applied!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:25 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,033,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I usually run at waterside plaza as I live nearby and saw that there is access to ferries over at Stuyvesant cove. The ferry goes to Wall Street, Astoria and even Far Rockaway - all for only 2.75 each way.

I didn’t apply to this one as it’s a waiting list, but good luck to all who have applied!
How come you don't apply to waiting lists?

Old 07-30-2020, 01:07 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
How come you don't apply to waiting lists?
Because they never call me. I applied to West End Towers and Riverton and got my hopes up high with low log numbers but no call whatsoever. I figure that they're waiting for tenants to move out, and you know that's not really happening any time soon. I can be wrong, but no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery