Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 03:20 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,037,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
My log # is 12xx so maybe if 700 people ahead of me moved out of the city during COVID...........

That's actually the lowest log number I've had aside from 5pointz which was in the 500s, and I've applied for dozens of lotteries since 2017.
I have more or less the same log number for the summit as I do for other buildings and I’ve gotten called for the other buildings (except for one where it’s been crickets on this forum). This is why I think this lottery is moving slowly - people are really appealing lol

Also, this building had a previous lottery where someone on this thread (or their friend) was called literally three years later after applying, but they refused it as they’ve moved somewhere else. So you really never know.

Believe it or not, people move away from the best of lotteries for different reasons including marriage, death, loss of job, retirement, illness, or just wanting to leave NYC.

By the way, I think you have an excellent chance as does popartist with his 7xx log number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 03:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,035,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I have more or less the same log number for the summit as I do for other buildings and I’ve gotten called for the other buildings (except for one where it’s been crickets on this forum). This is why I think this lottery is moving slowly - people are really appealing lol

Also, this building had a previous lottery where someone on this thread (or their friend) was called literally three years later after applying, but they refused it as they’ve moved somewhere else. So you really never know.

Believe it or not, people move away from the best of lotteries for different reasons including marriage, death, loss of job, retirement, illness, or just wanting to leave NYC.

By the way, I think you have an excellent chance as does popartist with his 7xx log number
My number is actually 9xx and I'm a she. I think this lottery is too hot though so I don't think that is low enough to score in this.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:35 PM

248 posts, read 403,006 times
I will never give up hope on this lottery. I don't dream about hitting the Powerball jackpot, I dream about the Summit getting to my log number.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:37 PM

164 posts, read 193,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
I will never give up hope on this lottery. I don't dream about hitting the Powerball jackpot, I dream about the Summit getting to my log number.
Out of curiosity - if people leave the housing lottery units, do they continue down the wait list/log numbers? Like let’s say people only sign a one year lease and then don’t renew for whatever reason, would they resume with the people who applied the lottery?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:05 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,841,345 times
I can only answer related to the Summit's lottery, I actually asked Breaking Ground (BG) if there is possibility to transfer/upgrade to bigger unit i.e. studio to 1BR, BG said the landlord doesn't allow any transfer/upgrade. Also, BG is only part of the initial lease up & not doing the ongoing management of the rentals.

The Summit has Phase I & Phase II lotteries, I understand Phase I was completed already. As for Phase II (the current one), BG said to me the tenant selection for this building is still in process because there are 2 studios that have not yet filled.

Based on my experience, I asked the property manager when I was shown the unit prior to signing the lease, some units that offered in Phase II were from tenants who got picked in Phase I & then for whatever reasons they moved out so the Summit opened Phase II to fill out the vacant units instead of going through those applicants in Phase I (In fact, I applied too in Phase I but I never got contacted, I got my unit from Phase II lottery). So, based on this, I guess if tenants move out again, the Summit may open Phase III lottery in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaane View Post
Out of curiosity - if people leave the housing lottery units, do they continue down the wait list/log numbers? Like let’s say people only sign a one year lease and then don’t renew for whatever reason, would they resume with the people who applied the lottery?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:07 PM

248 posts, read 403,006 times
I think it depends on the project. You see a ton of mini-lotteries popping up all the time for re-rentals, but some projects might maintain the original log list. I was recently contacted for a project I applied to in 2018 and they had just reached my log # in the 56,000's. All of the buildings must maintain the specified number of affordable units to continue receiving their tax breaks so they have to get filled somehow.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 PM

164 posts, read 193,732 times
thank you both for the insight!

Old 10-22-2021, 05:57 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,037,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
My number is actually 9xx and I'm a she. I think this lottery is too hot though so I don't think that is low enough to score in this.
ooof sorry about that.

Anyway we all look to your name of when you’re going to get called cause you’re the canary in the literal gold mine of when me and anxiety will get called

Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 AM

603 posts, read 600,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I can only answer related to the Summit's lottery, I actually asked Breaking Ground (BG) if there is possibility to transfer/upgrade to bigger unit i.e. studio to 1BR, BG said the landlord doesn't allow any transfer/upgrade. Also, BG is only part of the initial lease up & not doing the ongoing management of the rentals.

The Summit has Phase I & Phase II lotteries, I understand Phase I was completed already. As for Phase II (the current one), BG said to me the tenant selection for this building is still in process because there are 2 studios that have not yet filled.

Based on my experience, I asked the property manager when I was shown the unit prior to signing the lease, some units that offered in Phase II were from tenants who got picked in Phase I & then for whatever reasons they moved out so the Summit opened Phase II to fill out the vacant units instead of going through those applicants in Phase I (In fact, I applied too in Phase I but I never got contacted, I got my unit from Phase II lottery). So, based on this, I guess if tenants move out again, the Summit may open Phase III lottery in the future.
Good to know they are only doing the initial lease-up, which means no more document submissions for the lease renewal - they will probably just offer a new lease when it's time. No more crazy paperwork! I went through BG too.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM

228 posts, read 306,585 times
56xx here and holding out hope. I saw this building on youtube and didn’t realize it had lottery apartments until I went back to check my old log numbers. Keeping a positive mindset. You never know what the future holds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery