Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 11:32 AM

248 posts, read 402,908 times

Advertisements

Several foreign Consulates lease apartments in Stuytown for their Foreign Service staff who are on official posting in New York for 2-4 years. I worked with the spouse of a UK official posted here and they loved living in Stuytown. (They had a 2 bedroom place on a high floor, and a little doggo.) Consulates and Missions of wealthier nations generally do not house their staff in shoddy accommodations, so if they had a lot of complaints about Stuytown, they would stop contracting with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 AM

134 posts, read 196,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Several foreign Consulates lease apartments in Stuytown for their Foreign Service staff who are on official posting in New York for 2-4 years. I worked with the spouse of a UK official posted here and they loved living in Stuytown. (They had a 2 bedroom place on a high floor, and a little doggo.) Consulates and Missions of wealthier nations generally do not house their staff in shoddy accommodations, so if they had a lot of complaints about Stuytown, they would stop contracting with them.
But are those the kind of units on offer in this lottery? We'll find out soon...

Old 03-22-2021, 11:52 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Interesting! Since the beginning of the pandemic, I have been spending more time on the Stuy Town property. Subsequently, I started noticing many people speaking foreign languages that I didn't recognize, more often than you would expect in NYC with tourism being way down. They mostly seem to be parents with young children. So maybe these are foreign service staff members. I had no idea that consulates are leasing apartments in Stuy Town. Good to know!

When I lived at Waterside, the UN had a lot of staffers living there, maybe because the United Nations International School is next door.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 PM

15 posts, read 24,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
With some 9,000 apartments, you’re going to find a range of experiences here. But overall it’s a very nice place to live. I wrote a longish post on what it’s like to live in Stuy Town earlier in this thread, post No. 20.
Great...I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2021, 08:54 AM

248 posts, read 402,908 times
Quote:
Interesting! Since the beginning of the pandemic, I have been spending more time on the Stuy Town property. Subsequently, I started noticing many people speaking foreign languages that I didn't recognize, more often than you would expect in NYC with tourism being way down. They mostly seem to be parents with young children. So maybe these are foreign service staff members. I had no idea that consulates are leasing apartments in Stuy Town. Good to know!

When I lived at Waterside, the UN had a lot of staffers living there, maybe because the United Nations International School is next door.
Until I started working within it, I never realized how extensive and embedded the diplomatic community is here in the city. Many countries own properties (China owns an absolutely enormous compound over on the west side where the majority of their 100s of diplomats are expected to reside; Canada owns some townhouses on the UWS/UES, off the top of my head) but often they retain lists of preferred properties their respective Departments of Foreign Affairs deem to be safe and acceptable which staff can choose from. Poorer countries will house their staff in outer boroughs, often within or near their own ethnic communities.

But as far as the official residences I've been inside in Manhattan (and one in LIC) - they tend to be the type of place I could not afford, but would happily live in if someone subsidized my rent.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:44 AM

103 posts, read 157,285 times
I lived in StuyTown with roommates after college, it's very quiet and conveniently located. What it lacks in curb appeal it makes up for in just about everything else. Well maintained, generous floorplans and now just about everything you could want is right there with the Ave A subway entrance, Trader Joes and Target express they opened. I would move back in a heartbeat if I got selected for something like this!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
I did see the open air market on 14th st when I was there a few weeks ago... its situated right where the McDonalds is on 1st, and I went wtf? its ghetto..
new target is down the block, I believe a new trader joes too

Old 03-24-2021, 07:14 AM

134 posts, read 196,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I did see the open air market on 14th st when I was there a few weeks ago... its situated right where the McDonalds is on 1st, and I went wtf? its ghetto..
new target is down the block, I believe a new trader joes too
I will take that ghettoness over the stuff in Harlem where I live. Last week I had the displeasure of seeing someone poop on the sidewalk...at 1pm

Old 03-24-2021, 08:27 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I walked past 14th Street yesterday and saw that the sidewalk market seemed to be not there, whereas the day before it had been in full swing.

Plus there were police officers on the corner. I get the feeling that the attempt is being made to end the market and the chaotic conditions that seemed to go with it. I spoke to a friend who lives there and she said her building's management told them to call 311 and write to elected officials about the market.

The south side of 14th Street is a different city council district and precinct than Stuy Town.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:47 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
I walked past 14th Street yesterday and saw that the sidewalk market seemed to be not there, whereas the day before it had been in full swing.

Plus there were police officers on the corner. I get the feeling that the attempt is being made to end the market and the chaotic conditions that seemed to go with it. I spoke to a friend who lives there and she said her building's management told them to call 311 and write to elected officials about the market.

The south side of 14th Street is a different city council district and precinct than Stuy Town.
I repped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery