Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 03:25 PM

151 posts, read 200,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's very hard to time these things. If you're approved by ST, would you be able to get out of your existing lease? Would the ST apartment be more desirable than what you have now?
I'm in a similar situation. I signed my lease in May and I'm not sure I'd be able to get out of it (log 10xx). Does anyone know what would happen if I couldn't move at the time an availability came up? Is it just over for me or would they put me at the end of the list (probably over anyway)? I'm one of the few who was hoping the list would move a bit slower, selfishly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 03:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,848,137 times
Based on my experience, ST put me into their waitlist for two years from the day I was initially contacted by them to inform about my log #. I was contacted the first time in March 2018 & at that time I just moved into my non-lottery apartment so they said they will put me in their waitlist & contact me again in October 2019. They did honor their words but I decided to withdraw from their waitlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I signed my lease in May and I'm not sure I'd be able to get out of it (log 10xx). Does anyone know what would happen if I couldn't move at the time an availability came up? Is it just over for me or would they put me at the end of the list (probably over anyway)? I'm one of the few who was hoping the list would move a bit slower, selfishly!

Old 07-16-2021, 03:54 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,599,899 times
You would just have to ask Stuy Town when you're called. A winner from a previous Stuy lottery (when the prices were very high) asked to be put on hold, and they accommodated him.

But also check your current lease. Maybe there's an out.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,436 times
Question for those of you that have been contacted; what size apartment are you being offered? I ask as my number is 2xx and have heard nothing since getting the lottery number. We are eligible for either a 2 bdrm or 3 bdrm according to ST’s criteria. Are they going down the list based on size of apartment that’s currently available?

Old 07-16-2021, 10:20 PM

173 posts, read 147,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdunn View Post
Question for those of you that have been contacted; what size apartment are you being offered? I ask as my number is 2xx and have heard nothing since getting the lottery number. We are eligible for either a 2 bdrm or 3 bdrm according to ST’s criteria. Are they going down the list based on size of apartment that’s currently available?
I don't think they tell you until an apartment is offered

Old 07-17-2021, 06:35 AM

29 posts, read 32,537 times
Someone earlier in this thread remarked that there are no 3 BRs available now, and that there is a waiting list for them already. Seems like the best hope for families is a 2 BR. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdunn View Post
That is weird that you are in the two hundreds and not yet called. Is there any reason you would have been passed over? Are you not a current resident of the five boroughs? Or maybe your household is so large that you would need a three-bedroom?

Old 07-17-2021, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 12,436 times
I just revisited the ST lottery faqs. Even though the lottery is open to non-NYC residents, preference is given to NYC residents. As I don’t currently live in NYC, I guess this means my application goes to the back of the line, making my fantastic lottery number worthless. I’m crushed.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:16 PM

Wow, that’s too bad!

Old 07-18-2021, 01:13 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starapplez View Post
Just curious...out of all these lotteries, which one is your ideal?
those in Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery