Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 13,214 times

Advertisements

Got my email today in the afternoon.
Log number: 10XX

Edit:
If I work full time and go to school full time, do I still need to fill out the Student Status Affidavit?
What is the purpose of the Student Status Affidavit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 01:31 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Full-time students are not eligible for this type of housing unless there is someone else in the same household who is not a full-time student.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 PM

So even if I'm a full-time government employee that's going back to school at night, I am ineligible?

Old 07-27-2021, 01:35 PM

If you google Marketing Handbook HPD and download that, you could read the section on full-time students.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:36 PM

182 posts, read 315,695 times
I got an email too 10xx.

Do I need the send the info via pdf or zip

Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
If you google Marketing Handbook HPD and download that, you could read the section on full-time students.
Got it, read up on it. They categorize these students as "independent students" and are exempt from this rule.
I also did not file for any education credits on my tax forms, so this works in my favor.

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Education defines an independent student as on one the following:

· The student is at least 24 years-old
· The student is married (or separated but not divorced)
· The student has legal dependents other than a spouse
· The student was orphaned, meaning that at any times since the student turned 13years-old, both his parents were deceased, he was in foster care, or was a ward of the court
· The student is an emancipated minor as determined by a court judge
· The student is homeless or is at risk of homelessness
· The student is a “professional student,†working on a degree beyond a bachelor’s degree such as a master’s or doctorate
· The student is a veteran of the U.S. military
· The student must not be claimed as a dependent by his parents or legal guardian pursuant to IRS regulations
· The student must provide certification of the amount of financial assistance that will be provided by the student’s parents, signed by the person(s) providing the support. This certification is required regardless whether assistance is provided

Old 07-27-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Also, for the record, the claim that "full-time students aren't eligible" is a partial myth. The full-time student rule is an IRS rule that applies ONLY to units financed by tax credits (LIHTC) or tax exempt bonds (funds that come directly from HDC's portfolio). Not all developments use LIHTC or tax-exempt bonds, as there are multiple funding sources from different agencies and levels of government.
Looks like someone has told you this in the past as well.

There's also different requirements of what a full-time student is for LIHTC and HUD.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:09 PM

That's good to know! Best of luck!

Old 07-27-2021, 02:09 PM

64 posts, read 95,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Porter89 View Post
I got an email too 10xx.

Do I need the send the info via pdf or zip
I personally sent my documents via a zip file but I would not recommend this since so many other individuals stated that they had issues. Some were even given a "disqualified" email since StuyTown was not able to open the files.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:15 PM

182 posts, read 315,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmrivs View Post
I personally sent my documents via a zip file but I would not recommend this since so many other individuals stated that they had issues. Some were even given a "disqualified" email since StuyTown was not able to open the files.
Thanks for the heads up, yea I was reading through the comments and stuytown has issues with zip files. I guess I have to combine the files into one pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery