Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 08:51 PM

77 posts, read 53,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
You can use the tap water, just make sure you are not using hot water from the faucet / use cold water always unless washing dishes etc.

NYC water is decent, but like most places for keeping water sterile / sanitary there is fluoride and chlorine added that makes it way through to our bodies, you should do some research and depending on your budget choose a water filter that takes out the unwanted checmials in the water.

At the bare minimum some water filters in kitchen line can come handy taking the impurities and chemicals out.
Thank you so much for the advice
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 PM

On my tour of the apartment I saw that they don't have screens on the windows, as is the case with insects like flies and mosquitoes! Although I will be on the 27th floor, I don't think they will fly as high! Do you have that problem in your home with flies and insects?

Old 05-11-2024, 11:12 AM

20 posts, read 15,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soby View Post
On my tour of the apartment I saw that they don't have screens on the windows, as is the case with insects like flies and mosquitoes! Although I will be on the 27th floor, I don't think they will fly as high! Do you have that problem in your home with flies and insects?
Not necessarily a problem but, depending on where you're facing, you'll have more of an issue with bugs. If you're facing north, it's above the trash alley which naturally would have more of them.

Bugs fly pretty high so I don't think you'll be able to live high enough to get rid of them completely, even though there'll be less bugs the higher you go. Also, the wind gusts can carry them up pretty high as well.

I'm on one of the higher floors and still have some bugs come in now and again, albeit smaller ones. There was one night I left my window open and woke up to a bunch of em in my bathroom. There are also thin fabric-like screens you can tape to the windows to block out most lil guys.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:28 AM

598 posts, read 474,021 times
Quote:
The issue with these buildings is the partially opening windows. If they swing out then it’s going to be impossible to setup screens since you’d need some separation. If the swing inwards you could have custom screens made and installed (there are magnetic ones that stick to the frame with magnetic power) since you’re high and there will be winds you’d want to have something that wouldn’t get removed by wind etc and also to make sure nobody gets injured in the event your screen goes for a toss.

I’d hate to say it but I’m dreading the lantern flies that are going to make its way everywhere in the city and they can get to some insanely high floors.

Not sure if Sven has it but some buildings have ventilation panels built into the frame that allow outside air without opening the window (it’s not as gushy and intense as a window letting air in but it’s awesome passive ventilation bringing in fresh air) They’re called trickle vents.

The building I just moved into has them and I like the idea of having fresh air without worrying about screens and excessive dust. I’ll attach a blurry pic to show you what I mean and also some stock pics from google that could be in your place Upcoming housing lottery in Queens - Sven LIC-img_1421.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming housing lottery in Queens - Sven LIC-img_1422.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: webp IMG_1423.webp (18.1 KB, 5 views)

Old 05-13-2024, 06:41 PM

Hello, thanks to both of you for answering my questions and contributing ideas! I have another questions hahaha! What internet service can be installed in the building and if my apartment faces the clock tower where I am north or south?

Old 05-13-2024, 06:48 PM

598 posts, read 474,021 times
Quote:
Hello, thanks to both of you for answering my questions and contributing ideas! I have another questions hahaha! What internet service can be installed in the building and if my apartment faces the clock tower where I am north or south?
Fios serves this building and will be the most economical and reliant plan, please go with the slowest 300/300 plan and it will be more than sufficient for your needs unless you are running a server maxing out 300mbps speeds all day every day.

If you have verizon phone it makes it even cheaper cuz they give autopay and additional discounts

Old 05-13-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
Fios serves this building and will be the most economical and reliant plan, please go with the slowest 300/300 plan and it will be more than sufficient for your needs unless you are running a server maxing out 300mbps speeds all day every day.

If you have verizon phone it makes it even cheaper cuz they give autopay and additional discounts

Nice! Thank you nevinabs

Old 05-14-2024, 06:55 AM

541 posts, read 531,559 times
Quote:
You are south facing

Old 05-14-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
You are south facing
Thanks Kate!

Old 05-16-2024, 06:56 AM

40 posts, read 18,923 times
For anyone seeking to live here, This is somewhere you settle for while saving to find something BETTER! Not having to pay utilities and the subway being near is the ONLY pro for me but there are SO many cons!!!! The hallway carpets always stink, the vents reek of smoke/weed , the oven blows out periodically , the lights flicker after being "fixed", the ice machine breaks on and off again, the doormen are ONLY nice if you flirt back... and will look away if you are coming near !

I wasn't expecting perfection but sven is NOT luxury! My experience after 4 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery