Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 03:02 PM

63 posts, read 65,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Oh, wow - thank you! That is super helpful.

Really glad to know the area is nice. I'm not thrilled about it being so close to the rail / expressway but hopefully the inside is quiet. I'm considering booking a tour of market rate units this weekend because I am just so impatient! I am convinced that a tower of such design isn't likely to alter floor space drastically along the various lines so hopefully layouts will remain the same as market rate ones for the lottery apartments.

Have you considered viewing market rate apartments?
I just noticed something -- it looks like the 1BR layout on HC 2.0 has slightly smaller dimensions than the same layout (and building placement) on Sven's website for 1BR availability of the same layout (by about a foot in both the bedroom and living room). But since they are required to "reasonably" spread affordable units throughout the building, and that there are so many units overall, wonder if the floor plan on HC is just an example of one of the units and that the actual affordable units will vary in layout and size. Which could also explain some of the price differences across 1BRs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 03:30 PM

453 posts, read 498,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsmeeee View Post
I just noticed something -- it looks like the 1BR layout on HC 2.0 has slightly smaller dimensions than the same layout (and building placement) on Sven's website for 1BR availability of the same layout (by about a foot in both the bedroom and living room). But since they are required to "reasonably" spread affordable units throughout the building, and that there are so many units overall, wonder if the floor plan on HC is just an example of one of the units and that the actual affordable units will vary in layout and size. Which could also explain some of the price differences across 1BRs.
Oh yes, that is right - weird because in the cross plan of the building in the bottom right of each floorplan document they look to be exactly the same size (with each cross section showing 14 apartments, and one large "mystery section" across the bottom half. Very curious as to what is in that bit!) The SVEN C line looks to be from floors 33-43 - I am curious if perhaps the lottery ones will be above or below this, and if it will change or why...

Also peculiarly - the numbers on the S Line plans are a smidge bigger in the HC plans than the SVEN ones. Despite matching up by looking at the building cross sections in each. Weird!

Old 05-08-2022, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 42,405 times
Was asked for docs and in the 9XXs

Old 05-09-2022, 12:29 PM

Hello all,

I come bearing exciting news! I viewed market rate apts at SVEN last week. I only saw 2 beds but I will break it down into pros and cons. Scroll to the end for the TLDR version if you don't want to wade through my wall of text!

Pros:

*Decent amount of space. Not giant, not tiny. Definitely liveable. I would say around 700sq feet for the 2-bed S-line. Bear in mind, I talk in real "sit down and do the calculations based on actual numbers" sizes. In realtor speak, they'd describe it as 1000 square feet, and I see realtor speak used much more on here. So, pick your poison. M line around 800-real, 1100-realtor, but views are meh.

*Luxury appliances. Blomberg W/D, Liebherr fridge w/ice maker. Bosch stove.
*Floor-to-ceiling windows.

*Those VIEWS! Pretty sure anyone on the West-facing views above about floor 25 will get stunning manhattan views. Apartments start on fl 15. There is a fairly tall building which would block these views for some lower floors, but I didn't count the floors it has. Fl 35 has great views, so I would say 25 upwards gets the money shot of manhattan at sunset.

*Real hardwood floors. No vinyl BS. Gives delightful clippety-cloppety acoustics if you walk around in heeled shoes when combined with the...
*Wonderfully high ceilings. 10-11 feet.

*Auto-tinting app-controlled sunshades on all windows except north-facing ones, and in-built blinds in all bedrooms.

*Full-length mirrors in bathrooms with full-length medicine cabinet.

*Moveable hose shower head (I hate fixed ones!)
*Decently sized closets. Some had walk-in, others had multiple big double closets.

*Multiple elevators (9 for residents) that travel ear-poppingly fast

*sounds insulated from outside. Windows also openable (to around 6 inches) if you want to let in some of that fresh BQE air.

*The amenities - you won't believe how extensive they are. The library is palatial and stunning. Games room, party room, TV room, show kitchen, cinema, business center. The gym has everything you could possibly want to use - massive weights room, HIIT room, boxing studio, reformer pilates room, sauna. Imagine the fanciest frou-frou health club you can think of, but bigger. IMO well worth the $83 pppm amenities fee. Six packs here we come.
*The person who showed us around was a friendly delight!

Cons:*

*No Parking
*Small ovens - maybe 8.5 inches tall.

*The bathrooms are blah and unimaginative. Fancy? More like 3* middle-of-nowhere business hotel in some godforsaken town. Shallow, plastic bathtubs. Also - only 1 bathroom per 2-bed. In a luxury building, this is unusual.

*There are NO LIGHT FIXTURES in the living rooms and bedrooms. Seriously, why do they do this? A New Jersey realtor once gave me an honest answer and it's because light fixtures cost $50 each to install. So a quick way to save $100k on a 71-story build. Hello darkness my old friend. It's time to buy some lamps again.

*The corridors and lobby are bland. They do not scream "luxury apartment building with no expenses spared." They whimper "we gave our decorating budget to Bob from accounts at some faceless corporate-insurance firm and let him go wild. In a store that only sells nondescript mid-range business interiors. From 1995". Think beechwood doors, white walls, sensible grey sofas and grey geometric carpets. They did have a dope moss wall though. I liked the moss wall.

*There is no outdoor space. So, no roof lounging, no barbecuing. What a missed trick! Except...

*The tiniest swimming pool in the known universe. About 6 feet by 18 feet. Which you will NEVER use. Because it costs $25. Per person. Per use. Ditto booking other amenities for your private use costs $1-300 per session.

*A future "park and dog run" on the ground that will be just a circle of grass surrounded by a few benches / planters. Due to open next year. Why will it take so long to "build" a circle of grass and a few benches though?

*No pet spa. Obviously the most "first world problems" problem ever, but I know most luxury buildings have this and pet owners appreciate having a dedicated space to wash and dry*their dog. Honestly not a very pet-friendly building.

*Weird "influencer-focused" amenities such as a selfie-taking mounted iPad. This might be in some people's pro list though? Lol
*No concessions (free month etc) were mentioned

Overall I did like it, but I do wish they would have created an outdoor space and installed some &^*#$%^ lights. I was worried about the neighborhood being dull, but there seems to be some nice / cool bits and restaurants etc behind the building towards the water and it felt quite safe overall. Big Asian presence in the neighborhood and pretty much all the residents we saw in SVEN (which gives me hope for some great Chinese eateries and Asian grocery stores around there), I'm sure the lottery will bring some diversity. First move-ins were at the start of this year. All amenities were empty except the ping-pong area.

Oh! And Electricity is NOT included. Residents must pay electricity and internet. Confusing wording on HC about that.
Anyway, that is about it. I tried to find out as much as I could! And be discerning in this review. So if I sound highly picky and critical, well, that is just me trying to predict all potential tastes and whimsies! I didn't end up taking videos as they said they'd email me some after, but turns out it was the same "virtual tour" they have on their website. Boo. Overall, if we can get one of the apartments with a view, I think we will go for it. Can't wait to hear back from those people after viewing lottery apartments and we can compare the differences!

TLDR Version:

GOOD: Space, views, big closets, appliances, wooden floors, high ceilings, dimming windows, window shades, fab amenities for $83 ppm, moveable shower hose, full length mirror, fast elevators, sound proof, friendly staff, nice neighborhood.

BAD: no outdoor space, no ceiling lights, small oven, pool $25pppd, dull interior design in corridors, no parking, boring bathrooms, no pet washing station, nickel-and-dime system for booking amenities.

Last edited by BritinNYC; 05-09-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2022, 01:24 PM

800 posts, read 729,668 times
Thanks for your detailed review! It was def thorough. Sounds like it’s on the lower end of a luxury apartment lol. Weird they didn’t make an outdoor area. Halletts Point has one and it’s the same owners. Oh well.

The “amenities” def seem underwhelming. If there are units left for me I’ll probably take it (better than where I am now so can’t be picky) but it doesn’t seem like one I would pick if I could afford market rate. There seem to be so many better apartments than this

Old 05-09-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee619 View Post
Thanks for your detailed review! It was def thorough. Sounds like it’s on the lower end of a luxury apartment lol. Weird they didn’t make an outdoor area. Halletts Point has one and it’s the same owners. Oh well.

The “amenities” def seem underwhelming. If there are units left for me I’ll probably take it (better than where I am now so can’t be picky) but it doesn’t seem like one I would pick if I could afford market rate. There seem to be so many better apartments than this
Oh, don't get me wrong! The amenities are amazing, in terms of health facilities and lounges and working spaces.

However, the pool is a joke and lack of an outdoor space is really sad.

The bathrooms and the light fixtures were the one thing for me that seemed lower-end-of-luxury, if I had to pick something. Market rate 2 beds go for $5400-$6200. I *guesss* that is on the lower end of luxury ones listed on HC? Which is why I was blown away that someone on here rejected Willoughby right away because the apartments were "so much worse" than market rate - ie they had GE appliances rather than Bosch or whatever - but market rate Willoughby two beds go for $7-8k, the bathrooms in even lottery apartments are tiled and marble, the outdoor spaces stunning etc. Totally bonkers to me that someone would reject a $7k apartment at a 60% discount (without even viewing the building!) because it had a general electric fridge and stove rather than a Bosch one

Old 05-09-2022, 01:58 PM

175 posts, read 176,925 times
HUGE THANK YOU for the detailed review @BritinNYC - all good info to consider while I wait for them to reach my log number.

I was thinking of visiting the area/neighborhood to see if it’s worth leaving Williamsburg/Greenpoint

Old 05-09-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp27 View Post
HUGE THANK YOU for the detailed review @BritinNYC - all good info to consider while I wait for them to reach my log number.

I was thinking of visiting the area/neighborhood to see if it’s worth leaving Williamsburg/Greenpoint
So, I'm not going to lie - as far as I can tell, it would be a big step down from Williamsburg / Greenpoint in terms of the vibe, night life, cool credentials and so on. But I had read so much about LIC being some soulless industrial waste land that I will admit I was pleasantly surprised!

And - no worries - I tried to cover everything i could think of!

Old 05-09-2022, 02:03 PM

63 posts, read 65,315 times
Thanks for the thorough review!! Combined with the website pics and virtual tours, I'm getting even more excited.

So you only toured 2BR?? I'm curious how the 1BR and Studios will stack up.

I am currently in very old house that was converted into apartments and is pretty far from any restaurants, bars, stores, fun things. So all of this feels like an upgrade to me - ha! But I also don't currently have light fixtures in my living room or bedroom, so I guess one thing will stay the same.

When it comes down to it, the other amenities + rent stabilization + nice in-unit amenities + subways/location to Manhattan + having my own place that isn't falling apart will probably seal the deal for me. I just hope they have 1BRs in the $2,300 left when they get to my number. But we'll see! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear when they're gonna send my packet to the city. I really don't want to do a full fledge apartment hunt in this current market.

Anyone with a low log number (sub 2xx's) had their docs sent to the city yet?

Old 05-09-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsmeeee View Post
Thanks for the thorough review!! Combined with the website pics and virtual tours, I'm getting even more excited.

So you only toured 2BR?? I'm curious how the 1BR and Studios will stack up.

I am currently in very old house that was converted into apartments and is pretty far from any restaurants, bars, stores, fun things. So all of this feels like an upgrade to me - ha! But I also don't currently have light fixtures in my living room or bedroom, so I guess one thing will stay the same.

When it comes down to it, the other amenities + rent stabilization + nice in-unit amenities + subways/location to Manhattan + having my own place that isn't falling apart will probably seal the deal for me. I just hope they have 1BRs in the $2,300 left when they get to my number. But we'll see! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear when they're gonna send my packet to the city. I really don't want to do a full fledge apartment hunt in this current market.

Anyone with a low log number (sub 2xx's) had their docs sent to the city yet?
You're welcome! And yes - I am quite sure you're going to love it, esp if you moved from an old building. While we need to wait to confirm, the fact the lottery apartments have "high end appliances" listed on HC gives me hope that their approach to this is fairly ethical in giving lottery tenants the same experience - in terms, of interiors, space etc - and not just doing the bare minimum.

The light fixtures thing just drives me crazy because sometimes I like to be able to see what I'm doing at night! We had to buy lamps in our current place but they will never illuminate a room like a ceiling light can! And it just doesn't feel "luxury" to have to use my phone flashlight to find anything in a drawer after dark, lol.

We used to live in a pre-war in Williamsburg and I said to my other half that I wouldn't be being a brat about the bathroom (or anything, really!) if we had come straight from that. It is just right now our building has a few advantages (gorgeous bathrooms, pet spas) over SVEN that made me notice their absence, though most of the stuff at SVEN is gorgeous.

Honestly, when we sat down in a cafe afterwards my other half suddenly started scheming ways to increase our salaries so we could afford the beautiful penthouse at market rate, so I think that is a glowing review on his part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery