Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 02:18 PM

453 posts, read 503,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsmeeee View Post
Thanks for the thorough review!! Combined with the website pics and virtual tours, I'm getting even more excited.

So you only toured 2BR?? I'm curious how the 1BR and Studios will stack up.
Oh - I tell a lie. We saw 1 "one bed plus den", which was also spacious and nice, however, the den was more of a nook, really - no doors etc. So I think they just advertise it as a one-bed. Still, very spacious for one person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 02:20 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,705,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp27 View Post
I was thinking of visiting the area/neighborhood to see if it’s worth leaving Williamsburg/Greenpoint
That is a great idea. Jump on the G train, B32 or B62 to LIC. Is there a ferry you can take? You will want to know how easy it is to get back to your favorite W/G places.

Also, even if you are not enchanted with the new building location you want to evaluate what desirable places are easy and quick to reach and by what method.

Seems like reaching the east side and midtown Manhattan is easy with many trains and the Q32 (Penn Station) Q60 and Q101 buses.

Looks like Astoria is easy to get to.

How easy is it to get to the Queen’s East River recreational parks?

Is your present residence Rent Regulated?

Old 05-09-2022, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 65,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
The light fixtures thing just drives me crazy because sometimes I like to be able to see what I'm doing at night! We had to buy lamps in our current place but they will never illuminate a room like a ceiling light can! And it just doesn't feel "luxury" to have to use my phone flashlight to find anything in a drawer after dark, lol.

Honestly, when we sat down in a cafe afterwards my other half suddenly started scheming ways to increase our salaries so we could afford the beautiful penthouse at market rate, so I think that is a glowing review on his part!
It does seem a bit bonkers, especially since they're branding it as luxury! "Hello, I would like to literally be able to see the luxuriousness that you're referring to." But I would be SHOCKED if the penthouse has lights...LOL.

We can dream, right?

Old 05-09-2022, 02:26 PM

453 posts, read 503,512 times
Quote:
It does seem a bit bonkers, especially since they're branding it as luxury! "Hello, I would like to literally be able to see the luxuriousness that you're referring to." But I would be SHOCKED if the penthouse has lights...LOL.

We can dream, right?
I'll know that I've made it in life when I'm living in a penthouse with *GASP* lights! lol.

And - our person insisted on showing us the penthouse, and while it was huge and beautiful, it also had no lights. We were told that modern buildings don't have lights in the living rooms and bedrooms. Being able to see stuff after dark is so backwards and 20th century, apparently.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I'll know that I've made it in life when I'm living in a penthouse with *GASP* lights! lol.

And - our person insisted on showing us the penthouse, and while it was huge and beautiful, it also had no lights. We were told that modern buildings don't have lights in the living rooms and bedrooms. Being able to see stuff after dark is so backwards and 20th century, apparently.
This gave me a good chuckle! Thanks again for your diligent reporting

Old 05-09-2022, 02:34 PM

175 posts, read 178,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
That is a great idea. Jump on the G train, B32 or B62 to LIC. Is there a ferry you can take? You will want to know how easy it is to get back to your favorite W/G places.

Also, even if you are not enchanted with the new building location you want to evaluate what desirable places are easy and quick to reach and by what method.

Seems like reaching the east side and midtown Manhattan is easy with many trains and the Q32 (Penn Station) Q60 and Q101 buses.

Looks like Astoria is easy to get to.

How easy is it to get to the Queen’s East River recreational parks?

Is your present residence Rent Regulated?

I work from home so I don’t need to worry about commuting as much but like you said, I need to see how easy it is to get to all the w/g places from that area so I’m gonna test it out.

I’m currently in a lottery apartment studio that’s rather small with no in unit w/d (95% of the other apartments in the building has in unit w/d) - which is why I’m applying again to see what else is out there.

I honestly haven’t been to Queens too much so it’s all new territory for me lol

Old 05-09-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:

My studio doesn’t have lights either and have had to buy several lamps to get the lighting right lol

Old 05-09-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp27 View Post
I work from home so I don’t need to worry about commuting as much but like you said, I need to see how easy it is to get to all the w/g places from that area so I’m gonna test it out.

I honestly haven’t been to Queens too much so it’s all new territory for me lol
In a similar situation here - working from home and haven't spent much time in Queens. (I'm currently in on the outskirts of Central Brooklyn and from Sven it's a little hard to get to from Prospect Park and some of my local favorites.) But when I walked the neighborhood around Sven last week I realized it's about a 10 minute walk to the G or a quick bike ride to Greenpoint. (It looked like there were lots of dedicated bike lanes around Sven!)

And then Astoria / LIC (near Sven) gave me Manhattan vibes at times. Met my friend for dinner around 30th Ave and there were a TON of nice restaurants, shops, and even some street performers. I was pleasantly surprised.

Have done a bit of research as well - there's a few community gardens nearby, lots of independent arts venues, and a pretty popular nightclub.

After my dinner, it was making me consider Astoria even if Sven doesn't work out! And my friend is getting a pretty decent sized 1BR for $1,800. Doesn't have a ton of amenities, but it's hard to find that price in most neighborhoods now.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
In a similar situation here - working from home and haven't spent much time in Queens. (I'm currently in on the outskirts of Central Brooklyn and from Sven it's a little hard to get to from Prospect Park and some of my local favorites.) But when I walked the neighborhood around Sven last week I realized it's about a 10 minute walk to the G or a quick bike ride to Greenpoint. (It looked like there were lots of dedicated bike lanes around Sven!)

And then Astoria / LIC (near Sven) gave me Manhattan vibes at times. Met my friend for dinner around 30th Ave and there were a TON of nice restaurants, shops, and even some street performers. I was pleasantly surprised.

Have done a bit of research as well - there's a few community gardens nearby, lots of independent arts venues, and a pretty popular nightclub.

After my dinner, it was making me consider Astoria even if Sven doesn't work out! And my friend is getting a pretty decent sized 1BR for $1,800. Doesn't have a ton of amenities, but it's hard to find that price in most neighborhoods now.
Oh 10 minute walk to the G isn’t bad at all and all the bike lanes!
I’m also surprised to hear how lively the LIC/Astoria area is, good to know!!

Maybe it won’t be too much of a transition after all lol

So are you just waiting on them to send your paperwork off? I wonder how much longer you’ll have to wait.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:32 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,705,792 times
LIC area. Pre pandemic there was a lively restaurant scene around the 7 train stop at Vernon Ave/Jackson Blvd (1st stop in QNS) very near G train at 21st/Van Alst. I don’t know the status since then. There is a branch of MoMA in LIC.

Jackson Heights seems easy to reach by subway from Sven. Big variety and number of restaurants there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery