Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2024, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 631 times

Advertisements

Anyone had any success upgrading or transferring units? Some people mentioned before they were told you could but i was told it’s not allowed. The lottery would have to reopened one all the logs have been exhausted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:42 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,499,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rell0927 View Post
Anyone had any success upgrading or transferring units? Some people mentioned before they were told you could but i was told it’s not allowed. The lottery would have to reopened one all the logs have been exhausted.
Can I ask if you asked the BC management or elsewhere? Also, what was the basis for requesting a transfer? I am curious if they'd allow a transfer to a larger unit if your family size increased and you still qualified for a the new unit. I can imagine they might not be keen on just letting people transfer to a different unit of the same size since it's a lot of paperwork to get you re-approved but I wonder if they'd consider it if your circumstances changed.

Moving to a larger unit is something I plan to ask for in a couple years and I will be calling HPD first to confirm if there is any standard policy on their end, which I don't think there is.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Can I ask if you asked the BC management or elsewhere? Also, what was the basis for requesting a transfer? I am curious if they'd allow a transfer to a larger unit if your family size increased and you still qualified for a the new unit. I can imagine they might not be keen on just letting people transfer to a different unit of the same size since it's a lot of paperwork to get you re-approved but I wonder if they'd consider it if your circumstances changed.

Moving to a larger unit is something I plan to ask for in a couple years and I will be calling HPD first to confirm if there is any standard policy on their end, which I don't think there is.
I reached out to MHANY and was told it’s up to the building management. I then called and emailed Brodsky to inquire and was told a definite no. I told them on the basis of a change in family size. I know every buildings handle these situations differently.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:26 AM

834 posts, read 789,901 times
Quote:
I reached out to MHANY and was told it’s up to the building management. I then called and emailed Brodsky to inquire and was told a definite no. I told them on the basis of a change in family size. I know every buildings handle these situations differently.
My son was in a very small one bedroom (high floor) and he asked if he could be put on a wait list for a larger one bedroom (lower floor). They told him no - there was no wait list and available units would go to the next on the original list.

He got lucky and eventually moved to a lottery unit at 595 Dean for a much larger one bedroom.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
My son was in a very small one bedroom (high floor) and he asked if he could be put on a wait list for a larger one bedroom (lower floor). They told him no - there was no wait list and available units would go to the next on the original list.

He got lucky and eventually moved to a lottery unit at 595 Dean for a much larger one bedroom.
Too bad. I'll still plan to ask them in a couple years when I want to move. Maybe when they are closer to exhausting the existing list they will be more open to it.

Old 05-12-2024, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 4,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post

This was my exact question shortly after I moved in. I gave up the unit your son chose in favor of the larger unit on a lower floor. If I realized I’d be stuck with the space I would have chosen differently. I was told management will not allow a transfer when the lease is up - even though in theory it would be an easy swap and I have a more desirable unit (space wise) However, looking at street easy even the same small unit at market rate moves pretty quick so I don’t expect them to ease up on that anytime soon, but who knows…

Old 05-12-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertybkx View Post
This was my exact question shortly after I moved in. I gave up the unit your son chose in favor of the larger unit on a lower floor. If I realized I’d be stuck with the space I would have chosen differently. I was told management will not allow a transfer when the lease is up - even though in theory it would be an easy swap and I have a more desirable unit (space wise) However, looking at street easy even the same small unit at market rate moves pretty quick so I don’t expect them to ease up on that anytime soon, but who knows…
They have to keep the RS units through the end of the tax break program so I don't think whatever is going on with the MR units has any impact.

What a lottery winner would be asking for is to be on a waitlist for when a lottery tenant moves out of their desired unit size. Assuming you still qualify for the new unit type (they check and I believe you do have to get HPD approved again for the new unit), there really isn't a reason for them not to let you move. They will have to fill either that unit, or the one you would vacate with a qualified applicant either way. I think they either don't know it is allowed (or at least done in many buildings) or they can't be bothered.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 4,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
They have to keep the RS units through the end of the tax break program so I don't think whatever is going on with the MR units has any impact.

What a lottery winner would be asking for is to be on a waitlist for when a lottery tenant moves out of their desired unit size. Assuming you still qualify for the new unit type (they check and I believe you do have to get HPD approved again for the new unit), there really isn't a reason for them not to let you move. They will have to fill either that unit, or the one you would vacate with a qualified applicant either way. I think they either don't know it is allowed (or at least done in many buildings) or they can't be bothered.
I hear you. I’ll wait it out and see. I have a feeling they just don’t want to deal with it because both management and MHNY said they don’t allow it which is annoying. But I’ve heard in other Brodsky buildings it’s happened so fingers crossed. Of course this is a good problem to have - just something that’s been on my mind.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertybkx View Post
I hear you. I’ll wait it out and see. I have a feeling they just don’t want to deal with it because both management and MHNY said they don’t allow it which is annoying. But I’ve heard in other Brodsky buildings it’s happened so fingers crossed. Of course this is a good problem to have - just something that’s been on my mind.
For sure and I agree. They just don't want to lol.

I'm just thinking way ahead. I love the building and location and wouldn't want to move but a 1br would get tight in the next ~2 years. I'm hoping they loosen up once they move through the initial lottery waitlist.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

76 posts, read 96,987 times
I’ve asked the building management about this too and was told RS units go to the next person on the original lottery list. So as mentioned, it might be a few years before they become more easily available in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery