Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 01:13 PM

412 posts, read 594,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
From what I hear plank road apartments are small
Yea I think they may be smaller too but rent is slightly cheaper.
I'm just excited about the in unit w/d lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 10:51 PM

64 posts, read 59,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Thanks! Yes, I feel so lucky to win a unit in this building!

Yes, this is my first win because this lottery was the only lottery I followed through & I got it. Applied the housing lottery since 2017 & got reached out dozens of times but I never moved forward as I loved my MR apartment at that time. I promised myself I will only follow through the process if I ever get called for the lottery of the building I currently am now & I did! Dreams do come true...

I never joined this forum until May last year when I was in the process already for the lottery that I won.

Congrats on winning a 1BR in Astoria West, have you moved in yet? Astoria West is a great apartment building too & their reviews on Google are glowing!!!
Yes!! I moved in in August and the hype is real. I love it here. I am from Brooklyn and I have been trying for years to get a place in Brooklyn but moving to Queens has definitely shifted my perspective and I love living in Queens now. The only downside is the pool it’s so expensive, $700 for 3 months. But my friend lives in The Hub in Brooklyn and she only pays $50 for all her amenities and has a giant indoor pool. I just go there to swim.

The staff is cool and we have events all the time. I love living by the water too. Taking the ferry to the city is so nice. I love that mode of transportation now. Ahh so amazing!

You’re on the east side, do you ever take the ferry?

Old 11-06-2022, 08:03 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,842,055 times
Yeah, the cons of having outdoor swimming pool is it only opened seasonal & the fee to use it is usually hefty & worst, the residents may not be allowed to invite any guests or even if they are allowed, there will be another charges to bring in guests

Does Astoria West only have swimming pool? Is there any other spa amenities like jacuzzi, sauna, & steam room? If they have any of these indoors at least you can use it if it's part of the regular amenities fee.

I've rarely taken any public transportation now because I can just walk anywhere within Manhattan since I've lived in Midtown East so yeah, I almost never took subway & buses anymore, let alone ferry, I think the last time I took ferry was when I visited a friend in Williamsburg a while ago.

While I always love Queens (& I'm glad you love it too now! ) I must admit living in Midtown is way more convenient & life has become so much easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahjs View Post
Yes!! I moved in in August and the hype is real. I love it here. I am from Brooklyn and I have been trying for years to get a place in Brooklyn but moving to Queens has definitely shifted my perspective and I love living in Queens now. The only downside is the pool it’s so expensive, $700 for 3 months. But my friend lives in The Hub in Brooklyn and she only pays $50 for all her amenities and has a giant indoor pool. I just go there to swim.

The staff is cool and we have events all the time. I love living by the water too. Taking the ferry to the city is so nice. I love that mode of transportation now. Ahh so amazing!

You’re on the east side, do you ever take the ferry?

Old 11-06-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the cons of having outdoor swimming pool is it only opened seasonal & the fee to use it is usually hefty & worst, the residents may not be allowed to invite any guests or even if they are allowed, there will be another charges to bring in guests

Does Astoria West only have swimming pool? Is there any other spa amenities like jacuzzi, sauna, & steam room? If they have any of these indoors at least you can use it if it's part of the regular amenities fee.

I've rarely taken any public transportation now because I can just walk anywhere within Manhattan since I've lived in Midtown East so yeah, I almost never took subway & buses anymore, let alone ferry, I think the last time I took ferry was when I visited a friend in Williamsburg a while ago.

While I always love Queens (& I'm glad you love it too now! ) I must admit living in Midtown is way more convenient & life has become so much easy!
Astoria West fits my lifestyle too. There are no jacuzzis, sauna or steam room sadly. But we have a gym, game room, party room, media room, billards room, golf simulator, yoga studio, dance studio, rooftop, outdoor terrace, music room, cafe/restaurant, and a coworking space. So it’s a lot of amenities. I work from home so I don’t need to travel either.

As you know, there’s another phase and the rent prices are a bit more so I feel even more lucky I got selected when I did.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:04 AM

Yeah, Astoria West Phase II has higher rent prices than the previous one! You are indeed very lucky to win a unit from the initial lottery

I noticed the prices in the current lotteries are getting higher & higher, I guess it's nearly impossible now to get lower price especially those at 130% AMI & above

The amenities at Astoria West are plenty! I like the idea about having a cafe/restaurant within the apartment building, that's very convenient! Also, you only pay $20/mo for the amenities, correct? Is it gonna be $20/mo for good or is it only during the initial lease? If so, what's the real fee after the discount ends?

Quote:
Astoria West fits my lifestyle too. There are no jacuzzis, sauna or steam room sadly. But we have a gym, game room, party room, media room, billards room, golf simulator, yoga studio, dance studio, rooftop, outdoor terrace, music room, cafe/restaurant, and a coworking space. So it’s a lot of amenities. I work from home so I don’t need to travel either.

As you know, there’s another phase and the rent prices are a bit more so I feel even more lucky I got selected when I did.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Astoria West Phase II has higher rent prices than the previous one! You are indeed very lucky to win a unit from the initial lottery

I noticed the prices in the current lotteries are getting higher & higher, I guess it's nearly impossible now to get lower price especially those at 130% AMI & above

The amenities at Astoria West are plenty! I like the idea about having a cafe/restaurant within the apartment building, that's very convenient! Also, you only pay $20/mo for the amenities, correct? Is it gonna be $20/mo for good or is it only during the initial lease? If so, what's the real fee after the discount ends?
Yes the rent prices are crazy. $2600 for a 1BD in Brooklyn! So when I saw $2250 at AW, I was shocked. I was trying to get in to an affordable housing apt when my income was lower so I can qualify for the low rent but now in most buildings you have to make $80K minumum!!

To my understanding it's $20($10 for certain amenties and $10 for others) for half of your lease and I signed a 2 year lease. I think it goes up to $50 afterwards.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:02 PM

$50/mo is not bad at all provided AW has an impressive amenities! Hope you will live in AW in a very long long time as I see it as one of few great new apartment buildings so far

Quote:
Yes the rent prices are crazy. $2600 for a 1BD in Brooklyn! So when I saw $2250 at AW, I was shocked. I was trying to get in to an affordable housing apt when my income was lower so I can qualify for the low rent but now in most buildings you have to make $80K minumum!!

To my understanding it's $20($10 for certain amenties and $10 for others) for half of your lease and I signed a 2 year lease. I think it goes up to $50 afterwards.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
$50/mo is not bad at all provided AW has an impressive amenities! Hope you will live in AW in a very long long time as I see it as one of few great new apartment buildings so far
Yeah, $50/mo is not bad at all. I was comfortable paying that but when I learned about the discount I thought to myself that they are trying to promote the building. Verizon is even offering a $25/mo plan for 300 Mbps for 10 years.

I thought about buying a home in the next few years but the rent is so cheap(relatively) and it's such a nice building I'm like why leave. I have the next 2 years to think about it.

The Summit is impressive too! I have a friend that lives in Two Blue Slip and it's so luxurious omg.

It's funny because I was a shoe-in for a building in my CB in Brooklyn and it was not luxurious at all. This was in 2020/2021 No amenties, no nothing! That process was a mess. I was so mad at the time but I'm so glad I didn't get it. Same price too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery