Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 01:34 PM

40 posts, read 36,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaserly View Post
I got an email saying something like "Sign lease by (mid November) and get a $25 gift card" is it really possible to move through the process that quickly?
sorry that just made me LOL - whats the incentive to give a gift card to someone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 10:02 AM

69 posts, read 139,319 times
I also received two emails last week. One to start the process of submitting documentation through the portal and the second email to congratulate on being selected with the incentive to sign the lease by mid-November. This is obviously moving quickly so I took a trip to 22 Chapel to take a look at the building and area. No curb appeal whatsoever. Building has two distinct looks, a taller tower of units and an attached building that resembles a hospital or a prison. This may be because the headquarter of the START Treatment and Rehabilitation Center is located at this location. I walked from York Street train station to Chapel Street and was happy it was still daylight. Walking underneath the bridges was daunting. I kept looking behind me. Chapel street itself is not well lit, across the street is another building construction. Road is not paved yet. Around "the back" of the building where the cross street is Flatbush Avenue East is also poorly lit and very quiet. The building is oddly placed. There is only one deli market about 5 blocks away. I was there for a while waiting for my boyfriend to arrive and he agreed with me regarding the walk from the train and the area being odd and desolate at night. We observed about 10 couples going in or out of the building so people are living there. The lobby is small with one attendant. I am not sure if the units themselves can convince me to live at 22 Chapel but I've decided to pass in it. My gut tells me I don't want to be stuck living in that end of Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:23 PM

93 posts, read 74,764 times
I've always walked from Dekalb. Even though the distance is shorter from York, the route from Dekalb is well lit, populated, and there is consistent police presence.

Although you gotta be careful walking on the right side down. The Avalon keeps a 24/7 homeless presence in front of their building due to it being a public park with multiple benches and seating.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:37 AM

46 posts, read 33,014 times
Appreciate the insight, decided to take a stroll past this building. It actually looks much better in person.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 30,003 times
Has anyone had an update on this one? Any showings or lease offers?

Old 11-14-2022, 08:55 AM

40 posts, read 36,010 times
update: log 3,xxx asked to submit documents

Old 11-14-2022, 10:46 AM

293 posts, read 222,544 times
Same. I’m 3,5xx and was asked to submit documents today.

Old 11-14-2022, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 30,003 times
Oh wow, so far ahead with the document requests. I submitted initial docs with log 14xx on 10/20 and no response as of yet. At least they’re moving along

Old 11-14-2022, 12:25 PM

98 posts, read 116,930 times
Anybody have the vids of the units and can email them to me? I reached out to iAffordNY but no response. Was asked to submit documents today (log 36xx) but don't want to go through the process if it isn't worth it.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:19 PM

293 posts, read 222,544 times
I called iAfford today and they said there are still one bedrooms left and they are on their third round of requesting documents from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery