Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 08:39 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,026,463 times

Advertisements

I redacted for several lotteries and they told me that I needed to resubmit without the redacted information.
But, when I win the apartment that I like, I'm going to ask my bank to change my account number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 09:05 AM

300 posts, read 211,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
They have your social security number and all your personal banking info along with your birthday and address which are all used to verify who you are. There is reason to be worried. I have also been a victim of identity theft in the past all they needed was my social, bday and address. Immediately they were applying for unemployment and trying to take out car loans with all my information. It honestly doesn’t take much
Yeah in that situation they can try applying for things but I don’t think they can take anything out of your account. The best solution is probably to lock your credit during the process. I don’t see the housing lottery being okay with anything blacked out.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:14 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Yeah in that situation they can try applying for things but I don’t think they can take anything out of your account. The best solution is probably to lock your credit during the process. I don’t see the housing lottery being okay with anything blacked out.
Yeah I’m not sure if they could take anything out of your account. But if someone wanted to they could ruin your credit by taking things out in your name with your information & also claiming unemployment which happened a lot during the pandemic.

Each building is different so It wouldn’t hurt to try if someone felt uncomfortable, worst case scenario they ask for un redacted paperwork

Old 05-27-2022, 09:19 AM

300 posts, read 211,903 times
Quote:
Yeah I’m not sure if they could take anything out of your account. But if someone wanted to they could ruin your credit by taking things out in your name with your information & also claiming unemployment which happened a lot during the pandemic.

Each building is different so It wouldn’t hurt to try if someone felt uncomfortable, worst case scenario they ask for un redacted paperwork
Just curious, how did you find out about identity theft? Did you eventually start seeing related things in the mail?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:26 AM

How did you know they were taking out unemployment in your name? Did you get a notification?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:46 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Just curious, how did you find out about identity theft? Did you eventually start seeing related things in the mail?
I have the app credit karma and I checked it one day. I had a bunch of hard inquires. so someone was going around and having my credit run for various things. I ended up calling the credit burro and getting a full report of everything they were trying to take stuff out in my name.

As for the unemployment I got a call from a bank that I don't bank with asking me about some pre-paid card that is used to receive funds from unemployment . I never set it up so that's how I found out that they had also filed for unemployment under my information. Was a horrible experience and there arent as many safety guards as you would think to protect us from this happening.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I have the app credit karma and I checked it one day. I had a bunch of hard inquires. so someone was going around and having my credit run for various things. I ended up calling the credit burro and getting a full report of everything they were trying to take stuff out in my name.

As for the unemployment I got a call from a bank that I don't bank with asking me about some pre-paid card that is used to receive funds from unemployment . I never set it up so that's how I found out that they had also filed for unemployment under my information. Was a horrible experience and there arent as many safety guards as you would think to protect us from this happening.
I'm sorry you went through that terrible experience!

Old 05-27-2022, 12:34 PM

57 posts, read 54,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I redacted for several lotteries and they told me that I needed to resubmit without the redacted information.
But, when I win the apartment that I like, I'm going to ask my bank to change my account number.
smart

Old 05-27-2022, 03:11 PM

726 posts, read 808,078 times
Please understand if you choose to block this info out they will deny you…… How can your income fully be verified if they cannot identify that the account belongs to you. Just because you have a good amount of money in your account is no excuse. If you feel you are going to be robbed by a management company then maybe you just shouldn’t apply for a program that would require this info

Old 05-27-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
Please understand if you choose to block this info out they will deny you…… How can your income fully be verified if they cannot identify that the account belongs to you. Just because you have a good amount of money in your account is no excuse. If you feel you are going to be robbed by a management company then maybe you just shouldn’t apply for a program that would require this info
The process needs to be revamped, though. I work in an industry that processes or requires sensitive information and my responsibility is to ensure that data doesn’t get breached. We have policies derived from the federal and state governments - both written and technical to prevent others from stealing private and sensitive information. I honestly don’t see why these marketing agencies are not subject to the same regulatory environment that we are. I’m really thinking of complaining to the city about it. It’s ridiculous.

I just reread my post and sound like a Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: