Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2023, 10:53 AM

143 posts, read 98,809 times

Advertisements

If you look back to the first post of this page 67, @Nicky1901 had to go through 2 appeals. They also said 130% AMI 1 beds are still available. You could try asking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 2,731 times
thank you, I just talked to them on the phone and they told me to wait for an answer from them and indeed they confirmed that there is another 1 bedroom for 130%.
I really pray that they will approve my appeal and the other documents, I have contacted them so many times to make sure that nothing is missing and yet they rejected me for lack of documents, some of which I did give them!
Hope to update with good news, thanks to all the helpers.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:07 AM

143 posts, read 98,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG22 View Post
thank you, I just talked to them on the phone and they told me to wait for an answer from them and indeed they confirmed that there is another 1 bedroom for 130%.
I really pray that they will approve my appeal and the other documents, I have contacted them so many times to make sure that nothing is missing and yet they rejected me for lack of documents, some of which I did give them!
Hope to update with good news, thanks to all the helpers.
Question did you call them with the number from the Contact info on Housing Connect?

Also, goodluck! I'm rooting for you!

Old 10-30-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky1901 View Post
Two appeals later I’m moving in next week. A few things that might be helpful for others. 1 bed 130 Ami are still available. The floorplan that is on housing connect is not even close to what I was offered. I loved the apartment and was shocked that it’s a floorplan/unit you can find on street easy. Beautiful view on a highish floor. Although it was an extremely frustrating process I can say that it was worth the effort. They were super nice during the appeal process and once my file was submitted to hpd it was approved in a 1 day. I would say if you’re on the higher end of the income bracket really challenge how they look at your income and assets. My income is pretty straight forward and they got it wrong multiple times so I would assume there are a lot of appeals happening:
hey @Nicky1901,
Can you tell me a little bit about your appeal process? How did it work? I really hope they will accept my appeal, they said documents were missing even though I checked with them several times if anything was missing. I would appreciate it if you could tell me about your process and how you solved it.

thank you!

Old 10-30-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_mies View Post
Question did you call them with the number from the Contact info on Housing Connect?

yes! they never answered my calls until this now, its the first time someone actually pickup the phone.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_mies View Post

yes, its the first time they pick up the phone, before that they never answered any of my calls.
and thank you! I hope for the best!

Old 10-30-2023, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 29,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG22 View Post
hey @Nicky1901,
Can you tell me a little bit about your appeal process? How did it work? I really hope they will accept my appeal, they said documents were missing even though I checked with them several times if anything was missing. I would appreciate it if you could tell me about your process and how you solved it.

thank you!
Missing docs are little bit different I believe. I got rejected from SVEN for this and they did not allow me to jump back in. The agency for this building calculated my income incorrectly, 1st appeal took 2 weeks and the 1st rejection came down, 2nd appeal took 3 weeks and another rejection. Filed a complaint with HPD and they overturned in about 1 week. So 5 weeks total. They were confused about bonus structure and merit stock awards that vest at a later date. After HPD overturned they had me submit more paystubs and they contacted HR at the company I work for. I then got more paperwork with the unit # on it for final HPD approval, and that only took about 20hrs. . It was a HASSLE but they listened to my ranting and it was a very clear mistake on their part. I don’t know how it will go if it’s partly your fault. I would say I’ve been going through this with various apartments for years and this agency although they made mistakes was the most responsive even when I wasn’t so nice.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:44 PM

98 posts, read 61,738 times
Genuine question, can anyone share why the 130% AMI rents for this are different from the Ruby's? They are both in lower Manhattan and within 10-15 blocks of each other, and have it looks like equivalent amenities. I think I get "area median income", but is the average income in Hudson Yards/Midtown that much less than Chelsea? Or is the Lyra just unusually lower than standard 130%?

Old 10-30-2023, 10:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
Genuine question, can anyone share why the 130% AMI rents for this are different from the Ruby's? They are both in lower Manhattan and within 10-15 blocks of each other, and have it looks like equivalent amenities. I think I get "area median income", but is the average income in Hudson Yards/Midtown that much less than Chelsea? Or is the Lyra just unusually lower than standard 130%?
Each building sets their own rents, up to the max allowed at each AMI. It likely depends on what they think they can get given market conditions. I think most would agree that Chelsea is a much trendier, more desirable neighborhood than HY. Also in some cases, buildings choose to use the rents from the prior year, or 2 pears prior. My building did this, they started contacting people in mid 2022 but used the 2021 rents. This meant my initial rent was ~$300-500/mo below what other 130% units were going for at the same time. Sometimes you get lucky.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:25 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon7mouse View Post
As another post just said, the AMI sets max income and max rent, the rent and income is not always set to the max. Some buildings will have rent differences between units based on size or features, units with balconies pay more, larger 1 beds pay more, all within the same AMI applied to those units.

For clarification. AMI does not compare neighborhood to neighborhood. It does not compare community board to community board. It does not compare borough to borough. Don’t get trapped into thinking fancy Chelsea with a wealthy population uses an AMI that is different from East Harlem. Yes, we can guess that the average household has more income in Chelsea than in East Harlem but that is not a measurement they use. Yes, we could use data to show that the median income of SoHo is higher than that of Washington Heights but that is not the method the lottery uses. Instead the lottery uses a super big picture of the entire metro area.

The AMI is a statistic from US HUD, it is the same for the entire city and into adjacent areas. Let’s say 100% AMI% is $100K for the NYC metro area. The $100K is used for the whole city both for the highest income area and the low lowest income area. The highest rent district and the lowest rent district.

It there a better way? Perhaps. But that is the method used. I have not heard about a suggestion box or focus group that seeks to change matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery