Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2023, 04:59 PM

430 posts, read 504,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
With a security company, PS would not be responsible for all the fringe stuff and could choose to get quotes or not renew at all.
I don't think guards are necessary though.
We already have security guards that patrol the grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 06:07 PM

144 posts, read 80,660 times
Excellent!
Are they armed, as someone stated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
We already have security guards that patrol the grounds.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:18 PM

430 posts, read 504,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
Excellent!
Are they armed, as someone stated?
No.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:37 AM

299 posts, read 211,287 times
Does anyone have any idea if a first time home buyer program like the “Home First” program can be used with Penn South? I made a few phone calls and have not been able to get any clear answers.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:30 AM

65 posts, read 38,222 times
I’m almost positive no, not bc of the grant/loan requirements but bc the way it works - I don’t think that would work with PS requirements. Especially the timeline. The process is slowwwwww once you find a place. I took the class you’re supposed to take to get that loan - and I’m pretty positive they said no but I could be wrong. But if you call Rev. Charles at hcci.org - he can tell you. He leads the classes HPD requires you to take in order to get that loan (he leads the class through hcci - not the other places you can take the course).

Old 12-18-2023, 11:47 AM

154 posts, read 286,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblue900 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information you all have posted in this thread so far!

We got a log number 2xx for 1 bedroom. Does anyone know if the ceramics studio is still active? It seems like there hasn't been any posts on their social media since covid.
When I was looking at an apartment at Penn South about three months ago, there were signs in the lobby about the ceramics studio. Membership is $65/month if you're under 54, $50/month for 55 plus, and $30/month for weekends only. They advertised handbuilding classes and wheel throwing classes as well, $180 for members and $240 for non-members. Each class was 6 weeks long. I'm super-excited about the ceramics studio

Old 12-18-2023, 12:00 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Does anyone have any idea if a first time home buyer program like the “Home First” program can be used with Penn South? I made a few phone calls and have not been able to get any clear answers.
You can try this page for SONYMA. There is a link for top lending agents in the NYC metro area.
https://hcr.ny.gov/how-apply

It’s Dec 18, one week from Dec 25, then a week to NY Eve. It not a great season for getting hypothetical questions answered. Try after MLK Day.

PS is a unique place. Many people might not know the answer. And, unless you can tell them an offer is expected soon they are not going to spend a lot of time tracking down answers for you quickly.

Try asking where you bank. You have a relationship there.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 9,673 times
I apologize if this was already asked, but I didn't see it.

If I don't have a job (or unemployment or social security) when I'm called for an apartment, but I have enough income from investments (including sale of investments) to meet the minimum, is that a problem? I saw macnyc2003's list of documents that were required, and it included a W2, 1099, proof of social security benefits, etc., as well as your employer's contact information.

I'm working now but may take significant time off to take care of my parents. In the meantime, I'm saving what I can!

Last edited by JNYC2023; 12-28-2023 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 829 times
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I won 1 bedroom in 2023 list. Current in mid 100s.

I went over the whole topic plus 2019 one and still have a question.

I'm a single mother of a teenager. Most likely it will take us about 2 years to get the apartment. By that time my son will be around 16 yo. He will live with me in this apartment.

The question is if something happens to me can he stay in this apartment before he is 18/after he is 18?

Can he apply for his own lottery apartment after he is 18 if he lives with me?

Old 12-28-2023, 02:58 PM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC2023 View Post
I apologize if this was already asked, but I didn't see it.

If I don't have a job (or unemployment or social security) when I'm called for an apartment, but I have enough income from investments (including sale of investments) to meet the minimum, is that a problem? I saw macnyc2003's list of documents that were required, and it included a W2, 1099, proof of social security benefits, etc., as well as your employer's contact information.

I'm working now but may take significant time off to take care of my parents. In the meantime, I'm saving what I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera152 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I won 1 bedroom in 2023 list. Current in mid 100s.

I went over the whole topic plus 2019 one and still have a question.

I'm a single mother of a teenager. Most likely it will take us about 2 years to get the apartment. By that time my son will be around 16 yo. He will live with me in this apartment.

The question is if something happens to me can he stay in this apartment before he is 18/after he is 18?

Can he apply for his own lottery apartment after he is 18 if he lives with me?
I do not know the answers to these hypothetical questions, but I have a question of my own: How would answers affect your decision?

Let's say that income from investments doesn't count, and you would be rejected. What would you do differently? Not take time off to care for your parents?

And in Vera's case, suppose something happens to you (God forbid) and your son can't stay in the Penn South apartment, what would you do differently? Not die? (And if you are now battling a serious medical condition, my apologies.)

I don't mean to make light of your situations, but you're both getting ahead of yourself. Just go on the waiting list and see what happens. Many things are out of our control. We just have to accept that. Affordable housing is one of those things.

You just have to hope that when you're called for an apartment, you qualify.

You've already overcome the highest hurdle: beating out thousands of other people and getting on the wait list! Don't let your mind lead you to any and all eventualities. Take a deep breath and have faith it will all work out! Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery