Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:52 AM

726 posts, read 807,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Yes, we don't have a choice unfortunately.
Since when? I’m only asking because companies like quadlogic are called 3rd party esco companies. No one can for you to use them and you can cancel them at anytime. As far as I know from my job you call us cancel them and we block them from billing or contacting you. If your building is forcing you to do this it’s a scam call HPD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 12:49 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
Since when? I’m only asking because companies like quadlogic are called 3rd party esco companies. No one can for you to use them and you can cancel them at anytime. As far as I know from my job you call us cancel them and we block them from billing or contacting you. If your building is forcing you to do this it’s a scam call HPD
Quadlogic is a sub-metering company not an ESCO, not at all the same. You are right you can cancel with an ESCO.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:02 PM

726 posts, read 807,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Quadlogic is a sub-metering company not an ESCO, not at all the same. You are right you can cancel with an ESCO.
What is the difference because from what I looked up the building is still charged by con Ed for all electrical usage then the tenants get charged by them. I don’t often say call HPD but in this case I would have them on speed dial

Old 11-06-2023, 01:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,439,550 times
Quote:
What is the difference because from what I looked up the building is still charged by con Ed for all electrical usage then the tenants get charged by them. I don’t often say call HPD but in this case I would have them on speed dial
Submetering is just how the building determines how much of the total building usage is by each apartment. A submeter is like a device/set of devices and some software to share with building management how much energy each apartment should be billed for. Quadlogic has nothing to do with who the building buys energy from, direct from ConEd, through an ESCO etc.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:24 AM

411 posts, read 228,155 times
Quote:
The answer to your question is that QL is not an electric company. They read all the meters over the WEB and do all the calculations and billing for the building. This allows the building to track usage and costs not just for the tenants but for the empty apartments as well as the public spaces and shared items.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:22 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Ok I’m confused why are you guys using quadlogic? Is this something your building set you up for I’m lost
For large buildings or complexes such as multi-family, university campuses or whatever you normally have a master meter situation. There owner of property buys electric, gas or whatever utility at bulk rates and then bills each resident/tenant for their share regardless of use. This system has been around in NYC since 1940's if not before. Tons of pre-war co-ops and rental buildings have master meter systems.

Problem with master meter is each tenant, resident, department or whatever does not know their actual utility use. This and again they're paying same pretty much whether they use a lot of juice or not. People who say shut up their apartments and go to Europe for three months still get hit with electric bills (that can be quite high) because others in building are still using juice.

Sub meter allows each department, apartment, unit, etc... to receive their own "bill" for usage much like having an individual electric meter. Building or complex still receives a discount for buying electric, gas, steam or whatever in bulk however.

By recent NYC laws all new construction for multi-family must have sub-meters. It's either that or each unit h having individual meters with residents setting up own accounts with Con Ed or whoever is supplying juice. https://www.triacta.com/post/submete...%20the%20state.

Historically large multi-family (say anything over 40 or so units) have frowned on having individual electric meters for each apartment.

For one thing space needs to be dedicated somewhere for all those meters. Thirty five or so (say for a five or six floor building) is one thing, but when you're talking about a building or complex with almost 100 units or more, that's quite a lot of meters.

Also buildings didn't always want to give access to Con Ed or whoever needed to read meters once a billing period.

With the old bulky meters one can see issues named above. However modern smart meters are barely larger than a smart phone and thus take up less space. Indeed with sub-metering as seen today there are still meters for each unit on premises, but they take up vastly less space than previously. Some buildings have either direct or sub-meter (smart type) located in apartment somewhere. Since these meters send readings via online, Wifi or other wise electronically no physical reading of meter each month is usually necessary.

As another poster stated majority if not all new construction multi-family have sub-metering systems and tenants do not have any say in who handles billing. If it's not Quadlogic will be another company but still building wide. Individual tenants have no say in matter, period. It's not like they can dump Quadlogic and open an account with ConEd for individual service.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:15 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Right, QL is *not* an ESCO. Believe me, I would never have signed up for an ESCO! You can't opt out of it.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:48 PM

111 posts, read 71,910 times
I believe someone stated that buildings built after a certain year must be sub-metered. Not sure if that accurate or not! Will definitely do some research. My new building is sub-metered, will be moving in soon, so nervous.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:54 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
I believe someone stated that buildings built after a certain year must be sub-metered. Not sure if that accurate or not! Will definitely do some research. My new building is sub-metered, will be moving in soon, so nervous.
Had it only partially correct; only commercial buildings built after certain date must have submeters.

On residential side NYS has set up various laws and rules regarding multi-family and sub metering.

There are reasons why both NYC and NYS are pushing things like sub-meters. It all ties into various laws meant to lower emissions by reducing burning of fossil fuels and whatever.

https://www.triacta.com/post/submete...nd-opportunity

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Progr...ms/Submetering

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...-buildings.pdf

Old 11-14-2023, 12:18 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
What a nightmare. My electric bill is the cheapest it's ever been and I sure hope my landlord doesn't participate in that quadlogic crapola while I'm here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery