Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

270 posts, read 749,458 times

Advertisements

I'm only thinking about it because my brother in-law did the same thing, and they have no issues..later on he is going to add his wife on the lease..the rent will of course go up, and that's ok. Either way, we are waiting for an interview from NYCHA for a 3-Bed. After we have our apartment, we'll continue to send in lotteries we fall under with both our incomes. But your advice has been noted, thanks BC

Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 PM

684 posts, read 1,826,264 times
You definitely have to know what your getting into. But my family had to do the same thing. Thats how we got out of the projects and eventually moved into a 80/20 building ourselves. But remember all lies eventually do catch up to you..but we've been here for 20yrs..and they're just now asking for my mothers income lol ! But seriously..usually the worst that happens is they raise your rent. But sometimes you have to tell a lie or two..hopefully you wont and something will work out

Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM

270 posts, read 749,458 times
I'm all for 100% legit, but sometimes you just HAVE to tell white lies to move forward in this country. For instance, river east's maximum income for a 2-BED @ 4 people = $32,000. I report $24k , wife reports $12K = $36K. So we are TOO wealthy to live there? Like I mentioned before, I love how they add up or the assets, savings etc , but they DON'T consider deductions and the cost of living in NYC. A family of 4. Man, woman, 2 children. 1 of ours still uses pampers, and drinks MILK. Just those 2 items add up each month. So yeah we make $36k " GROSS", but most of all that money is going to rent, daily living expenses and of course some ENTERTAINMENT ( at least let us live a little lol)..
I'm not whining or trying to justify anything just stating a point, that they are quick to disqualify you if you have some money saved up, and adding that on will result in making you go "over" the maximums. But they will never look at EXPENSES. But that's just how its goes!

ps: that's another of my 2 cents, ( I'm actually running out of pennies though )

Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM

130 posts, read 236,263 times
I'm glad to see things opening up for all you guys!!!

Does anyone know when we get that 500 back from move in? I have to buy books this semester for classs and I could really use my money back.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 PM

95 posts, read 166,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjose1986 View Post
I'm glad to see things opening up for all you guys!!!

Does anyone know when we get that 500 back from move in? I have to buy books this semester for classs and I could really use my money back.
They don't cash it (unless you damaged something when you moved in), they just hold it. If you check your bank account, you'll see that there was no $500 debit for the time you moved in. Management said that they're a little behind but within a couple of weeks you should get the check back. You can call them to confirm this. So, go ahead and get your books

Old 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 14,131 times
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they still have me running around submitting papers and now i hear there are no more apartments available?! Right now I've already back myself into a corner and have no choice but to complete this arduous process.

On Monday they called me and told me there were sending some documents over to verify my termination from two part time jobs i worked last year. i received the papers on Tuesday night and they stated my deadline was Thursday to turn in the newly requested documents. In my head thats NOT enough time to run to two different jobs and have them fill out the papers they requested but i got it done anyway. I called RiverPlace and was told *i* was suppose to bring in all the papers as they cannot be faxed over. Upon arrival at the RiverPlace interview house. i was told NO i cannot bring them in the verification papers; the employers are suppose to send/fax them back. EVEN THOUGH i asked more than once about it and was told i personally had to hand them in because they needed the original. NOW im stuck here with papers filled out by my old managers and im not even sure what to do with them. Am i suppose to mail in these forms to the head offices that was listed on them or do i bring them back to the people i had fill them out and have them fax it? i plan to call RiverPlace on Tuesday cause i honestly don't know what to do with these forms and now i have to get my transcript from school which i have no idea how long thats going to take...

All of this running around and i'm hearing there are no more apartments available.. Sweet.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

95 posts, read 166,637 times
It does seem fruitless but I don't think they would ask you to do all this paperwork unless your chances of getting an apartment were high. You should probably try to do both. Have the managers from your old jobs fax them, and you take the originals to RP. That approach can't hurt.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 PM

78 posts, read 200,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriiyus View Post
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they still have me running around submitting papers and now i hear there are no more apartments available?! Right now I've already back myself into a corner and have no choice but to complete this arduous process.

On Monday they called me and told me there were sending some documents over to verify my termination from two part time jobs i worked last year. i received the papers on Tuesday night and they stated my deadline was Thursday to turn in the newly requested documents. In my head thats NOT enough time to run to two different jobs and have them fill out the papers they requested but i got it done anyway. I called RiverPlace and was told *i* was suppose to bring in all the papers as they cannot be faxed over. Upon arrival at the RiverPlace interview house. i was told NO i cannot bring them in the verification papers; the employers are suppose to send/fax them back. EVEN THOUGH i asked more than once about it and was told i personally had to hand them in because they needed the original. NOW im stuck here with papers filled out by my old managers and im not even sure what to do with them. Am i suppose to mail in these forms to the head offices that was listed on them or do i bring them back to the people i had fill them out and have them fax it? i plan to call RiverPlace on Tuesday cause i honestly don't know what to do with these forms and now i have to get my transcript from school which i have no idea how long thats going to take...

All of this running around and i'm hearing there are no more apartments available.. Sweet.
Yea i was running around for about two weeks getting papers too. they wanted an official letter stating the cash value of my life insurance policy. why on Gods green earth they would want that I dont know but they needed it to continue my application process. ass holes. when i got a letter from HR and brought it in in person they said it had to have a numerical value on it and it had to be from the actual life insurance provider, not human resources. i was livid. it took a bunch of calls, running around the city, faxing, notarizing, to finally get everything in order. I too figured that them needing all this info and actually giving me extra time to get it would mean that once they received it i was in, but apparently it didnt.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM

52 posts, read 109,821 times
The more I keep listening to these stories Im about to not participate it's a sad sad process they make us go thru then to tell us there no more apartment available
I know they like traffic agents they have to make there rounds but I won't be a number no more I might gracefully bow out lol

Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 AM

684 posts, read 1,826,264 times
Just wanted to let you guys know...I havent forgotten about you all. But I just dont have any internet right now ! LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery