Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 AM

252 posts, read 607,691 times

Advertisements

just got a letter that my postcard got picked for a 1bdrm, my number is under 50.
hope the list moves fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,835 times
Hello,

I am #100+ for 3 Bedroom. Is this waiting going to be for years? Another question: is the lottery's purpose was to create a waiting list for the next 10 years? Does anybody has the answer? Can we get these answers from the management office?
Can I check my status on the monthly basis?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM

252 posts, read 607,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyltrotter View Post
Hello,

I am #100+ for 3 Bedroom. Is this waiting going to be for years? Another question: is the lottery's purpose was to create a waiting list for the next 10 years? Does anybody has the answer? Can we get these answers from the management office?
i think the wait will be pretty long for a 3 bedroom considering many apartments are handed down generation to generation. The mgmt company will most likely give you a time frame that they say to everyone (5-7 years, 10 years, 3 years) whatever it be.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyltrotter View Post
Hello,

I cannot say it if was Masaryk Towers's purpose to create a 10-year waiting list, but it has happened. I recall reading about one Mitchell-Lama development with a 5-, 10- and 15-year waiting list. It its "favor", Masaryk was affected by Hurricane Sandy and it's possible that some people got spooked and moved out, creating more vacancies. For a frame of reference, my friends waited 7 years to get into Village View, and that was only a 1-bdr.

Basically these are questions for the management office though. I think you could call and check your status whenever you like, the most-mentioned method I see is by sending an annual letter to the development office reiterating your interest in remaining on the list and asking if you can have your current position, because like meli722 says it will not be months but years. I'm sure you can call them monthly if you so desire, but hearing the slow progress of the list might discourage you, and annual checkups might be enough. Logic would suggest that 3-bdrs move slower because apartments for larger families are more in demand, I should think.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 PM

329 posts, read 682,305 times
Hi everyone and thanks for posting on my thread.

I agree with misskitty checking month is a bit much and im sure the receptionist doesn't want to answer the same question over and over. That is why I wanted to post current information on this thread I hope that this helps.

For those on the waiting list keep in mind that the current tenents have preference to those on the waiting list so when a apartment us available it is offered to them first.

Please don't get discouraged. I have been on the 2 Bedroom list since 2010. My number is somewhere in the 1100's and the list is up to 683.

I have been looking for floor plans at least square footage and cant find it any where.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 PM

Im glad it helped !

Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
Cant find the quote but for the person asking how is the building, the apartments are very nice on the inside. ive been inside 2 bedroom apartments there and they are a good size. living and dining room area together walk in kitchen decent sized bedrooms,and the buildings are well kept by maintenance. There is an indoor pool in the towers (but i believe it is run by henry street settlement), but anyone can use it for a fee. there is a supermarket right outside the towers. Some have balconies, some dont. It is right across the street from the smith projects and on the other side are two buildings that are projects on pitt street. Both are not the best streets out there, but inside the towers itself, it is fairly nice.
Thanks meli

In think the pool is run by another businesse. They offer swimming class for a fee of course. Nike redid the indoor basketball court not long ago. They are also leaseing space to a karate school. There is a keyfood, a deli, pizzeria, cleaners and a pharmacy.
On the side where the supermarket is gets a bit rough mostly at night. A few years ago a 16 was killed for his coat. So its not Disney land but pretty safe. The buildings are surrounded by projects the property actually shares some of the block with Gumpors Houses and its Baruch Houses thats on the other side not Smith.

Hope this helps

Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 AM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
I'm haunting the thread looking for signs in the app numbers that I've still got a shot to get one, LOL. Wondering if this might help people get an idea of floor plans:

New York Real Estate Brochures Collection: Projects

This is for Lindsay Park in Brooklyn (currently accepting postcards for its 1-bdr lottery for households of minimum 2, by the bye), but I wondered if maybe there are similarities between the M-L layouts due to similar builders, approvers, etc. Columbia doesn't have Masaryk but I'm sure I've seen other M-L RE brochures with floor plans archived there.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

109 posts, read 195,902 times
do they charge extra for having an air conditioner and/or dishwasher?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM

This is awesome ! Thanks so much for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery