Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times

Advertisements

I came home from vacation Saturday to find a letter that I was picked in the lottery along with an application; my number is in the 190's for a one bedroom apartment. Now I have to make sure enough that the LES is someplace I want to grow old in before I submit the application and the $200 fee - going to take another walk around there this weekend (went around there in the dead of winter so things were a bit barren) and see how I feel and how the work they are doing on the complex is coming along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I came home from vacation Saturday to find a letter that I was picked in the lottery along with an application; my number is in the 190's for a one bedroom apartment. Now I have to make sure enough that the LES is someplace I want to grow old in before I submit the application and the $200 fee - going to take another walk around there this weekend (went around there in the dead of winter so things were a bit barren) and see how I feel and how the work they are doing on the complex is coming along.
You basically won the equivalent of about $600,000 or more (the approximate value of a 1 bedroom) and you are only *considering* living there? I wouldn't hesitate to send in the fee--$200 is nothing.

The LES isn't quite as glamorous as other neighborhoods but come on -- its lower Manhattan. As you get older, you'll definitely need to live in an elevator building.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:45 PM

252 posts, read 607,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
Thanks meli

In think the pool is run by another businesse. They offer swimming class for a fee of course. Nike redid the indoor basketball court not long ago. They are also leaseing space to a karate school. There is a keyfood, a deli, pizzeria, cleaners and a pharmacy.
On the side where the supermarket is gets a bit rough mostly at night. A few years ago a 16 was killed for his coat. So its not Disney land but pretty safe. The buildings are surrounded by projects the property actually shares some of the block with Gumpors Houses and its Baruch Houses thats on the other side not Smith.

Hope this helps

Yep it is not the best at all. I am very familiar with the area, my daughter goes to school two blocks from Masaryk. I also know people who live there. The internal list is slow as well as the external list. I know someone who was in a 1 bdrm and moved to a 2 bdrm, and waited 11 years for the 2 bdrm. So, we just have to be patient and wait. I am mailing my money order and application tomorrow for sure. No doubt in my mind I will take a 1 bdrm for 8k in lower manhattan =)

Old 05-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Yes sorry I meant Baruch not smith, smith is way down more. And the kid who got killed for his coat, it was actually stemming from something more then that, not only his coat, it wasnt a ramdom shooting. Its not the best area, but it isnt bad. Walking around there at night is the same as anywhere in NYC, just be aware of your surroundings. I will say I always see security present there when I am walking through the towers.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM

109 posts, read 195,777 times
But the 1BR list should probably move faster than the 2 or 3 BR list, right?

I was also wondering, did they build that fence yet to keep out the riff raff?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 PM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
No fence yet.
Meli how are the apartments are decent size? Ive never been to an apartment

Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 PM

109 posts, read 195,777 times
Damn, what are they waiting for???

Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
There is resistance from the community. There have been alot of suggestions that could work like closing the walk through at night. We will see what the future holds.

Last edited by Wanting_to_move; 05-05-2014 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
No fence yet.
I've been in a 3 bedroom apartment in this building. The place was completely renovated so it was nice, especially the bathrooms. However, I wasn't entirely thrilled with the area because it felt like I was walking into the projects.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
No fence yet.

Wanting_to_move
Yes they are a good size. ive been in a two bedroom and it had a big tv, dining table off near the window and couches. Dining area was actually a good size because I do remember the table being there then another area right off of it to put other things. The bedrooms are also decent sizes. The other apartment I went to I only walked into the living room so I dont know how many bedrooms it had, but also a big sized living room.
Are you on the list for a 1, 2 or 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery