Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Smh in shame right? These yuppies find me as an interesting person, someone of character. Even ghetto people find me cool to some extent but ghetto folks pull you down and allows cops to stop and frisk you. Its not my fault yuppies find me cool or interesting. some are even shocked and appauled that I live in one of the poorest congressional districts in America. Dont get me wrong its really hard to relate with yuppies especially those who are not from nyc however once they see you trying to make something positive for yourself from their perspective these douchebags will try to embrace you to some extent. I dont drink starbucks ecxept for when im outside of nyc, I dont own an iphone or drive a prius, and I only wear flip flops ro the pool or the beach and never on the street, but I infiltrated the yuppie scene by using other alternatives means. there isnt reallt nothing to mention about the yuppie scene except for when yups ask you how much tuition have you paid back? My answer nhil.
Most of these yuppies won't give me the time of day or they seem to act in a condescending, patronizing nose in the air fashion. Oh, I only drive a 2008 Honda Civic EX and the smartphone I use is a Galaxy II S (which I paid full price for on Amazon) and my clothes are one - two seasons behind mostly from Banana Republic, Macys & Jcrew and I wear jeans from dare I say Target. I buy gym clothes from either Models or Target, I can't stand the snootiness & prissyness of stores like REI & Whole Foods
I occasionally goto Starbucks for a small Latte but the IPAD I use is the IPAD 1 which is a 3G. I never opened my IPAD 2 I bought when it came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Young urban professionals live in the suburbs? Since when?
You think no 'young urban professionals' live in Westchester County or Fairfield County CT??

Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM

338 posts, read 677,337 times
The only people who "hate" yuppies are those who also loudly claim how Times Square is no longer "real" and make a fuss over how great the city "used to be"--when it was overrun with pimps, hookers, drug dealers, etc. Yuppies and hipsters are clean and non-criminal. Who cares if you think they're looking down on you? Why do you want them to be your friend? Why do you assume they look down on you? Go and live your life, and let them live theirs.

I could give a crap if someone makes more money than I do--I don't care if they're my friend as long as they don't litter or spray paint graffiti everywhere. Strangers don't have to be your friend and they don't have to smile at you. They just have to leave the city a decent place. I would *love* to live in a neighborhood with yuppies (kind of a dated term, BTW) and hipsters, instead of those who litter everywhere and let their dogs crap on the sidewalk.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
The only people who "hate" yuppies are those who also loudly claim how Times Square is no longer "real" and make a fuss over how great the city "used to be"--when it was overrun with pimps, hookers, drug dealers, etc. Yuppies and hipsters are clean and non-criminal. Who cares if you think they're looking down on you? Why do you want them to be your friend? Why do you assume they look down on you? Go and live your life, and let them live theirs.

I could give a crap if someone makes more money than I do--I don't care if they're my friend as long as they don't litter or spray paint graffiti everywhere. Strangers don't have to be your friend and they don't have to smile at you. They just have to leave the city a decent place. I would *love* to live in a neighborhood with yuppies (kind of a dated term, BTW) and hipsters, instead of those who litter everywhere and let their dogs crap on the sidewalk.
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

That's exactly what I've been saying. People hating on yuppies and hipsters need to get a life. Worry about yourself and improving yourself and stop worrying about others. Yuppies transformed the city to a more desirable and safe place to live. Why knock that?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

That's exactly what I've been saying. People hating on yuppies and hipsters need to get a life. Worry about yourself and improving yourself and stop worrying about others. Yuppies transformed the city to a more desirable and safe place to live. Why knock that?
People that try to improve themselves end up leaving nyc and take nyc with them.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,036 times
I hate them so damn much I can't even say the word "yuppie." To me it's yupfuk: The missing link between robot and human.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
I am young and somewhat wealthy (make over 300k/year), Live in one of the richest parts of Brookyln (Dumbo). But since I am asian, most people probably think I am the chinese delivery food guy when I walk around my nabe.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Raise the damn rent, destroy the culture in neighborhoods (when I go to Chinatown I want to see Asians...), and they are too ignorant of the problems in many neighborhoods in the city.
^^ This.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,725 times
They are invading the hood. If I had to survive the hood when no one wanted to live here, then I should have first dibs to stay if I want. I shouldn't have to pay 2300 a month either just because some Out of Towners have their parents flipping the bill for them. I don't hate anyone, I hate the idea that NATIVE NEW YORKERS are being driven out of their neighborhoods, lively hood and what we have known all our lives. We have roots here and no one should makes us feel like we are being pulled from them. No Yuppie, hipster, Bloomberg lover or out of towner that don't know nothing about NY. I'm tired of ppl crying for them, what about the ones who survived the crack era, gangs, lack of police and crime. Now that it has been built up you want us to leave it to folks who didn't pay a dime of taxes into this city, HELL NO!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

No one is hating on Yuppies it the nonsense you are evidently thinking or feeling when you write something stupid like " Yuppies transformed the city to a more desirable and safe place to live. Why knock that?[/quote]" My parents and my tax dollars did that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City