Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

Yeah that's what destroyed NYC...yuppies and transplants. Great job El77...a few years ago everyone knew it was the Dominicans that destroyed NYC...guess it's the yuppies now? Maybe next year it will be the Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,462 times
What is destroying NYC is drug dealers, misguided youths (thugs and thug mamis), gang culture, growing gap between the rich and the poor, over-crowdedness, the increase in the COL, the decrease in pay, etc.

Yuppies and transplants have nothing to do with the destruction of nyc. Your landlords and building managers are in the business of making $$$ and feel they can make a lot of it with new blood. Don't hate the players (Yuppies, hipsters and transplants); hate the owners.

I don't understand why some people hate the fact that yuppies, hipsters and transplants come from wealth or are trustfund babies. Aren't we all trying to strike it rich to take care of our families?? I don't want to live in the hood forever; I want to move to an east side apartment in the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
What is destroying NYC is drug dealers, misguided youths (thugs and thug mamis), gang culture, growing gap between the rich and the poor, over-crowdedness, the increase in the COL, the decrease in pay, etc.
Good post and I agree.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM

102 posts, read 155,725 times
Poor/dirty/welfare folks are far more irritating than "yuppies" (aka productive people)

Class envy is so uninteresting.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
Poor/dirty/welfare folks are far more irritating than "yuppies" (aka productive people)

Class envy is so uninteresting.
Both can be annoying and irritating they both represent some of the cities most extremes on opposite levels my friends.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
I find overly ambitious and career oriented people egocentric and annyoing.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofbrooklyn View Post
Hi guys!

Before we do into this full throttle,

A little background on me. 29 years old, male, white, jewish/italian decent. Born and Raised, and currently live in Brooklyn New York.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why the majority of folks on this board and in real life that I encounter, truly dislke the yuppies.

Here me out on this. For starters, I am not a yuppie, but I have what some may call "yuppie traits"... I make over 100k a year, I have a house in literally the wealthiest part of brooklyn (not saying where), and I am well educated and successful in life. I appreciate the finer things in life, but they do not make me better than anyone here.

1. Yes the yuppies have a bit of a "nose in the air" attitude... Very true, they look down upon the rest, but if you are half way intelligent, they will treat you as equal. Let's face facts folks... we may not like their choices and lifestyles, but they are living the life.

2. Ok, yes They are a bit way into the whole artsy fartsy thing... I appreicate fine art, but I don't pop a boner when I see a painting or sculpture and I do not look down upon the rest if they cant, so call "appreciate the work." Still, who cares.

Those are truly my only two gripes with them, but I would rather have them around me, bringin up proerty value, having crime drop to 0% and actually affording my children the oppurutnity to get a "real education" in public school w/o having to worrya bout getting their lunch money taken away or beaten up, and rather then having to send them to private school (which is actually worse from a educational standpoint then public school.

I do visit park slope and the rest of that "section" of brooklyn, so I see them in action most of the times.

OK folks, so blast the cap open on this volcano. Please enlighten me on why they are so damn hated.
Thanks!
D
The reasons for the hate, has nothing to do with their way of life....it's basically that, these yuppies u speak of are yes bringing up the value of living and that's wonderful for someone such as yourself..it's great..but there is a wicked backlash to the person who isn't as fortunate...such as me...who doesn't care to have his rent sky rocket to 1,100 for a blasted studio, cuz the artsy fartsy community think that bedsty is like is The Villiage...and wonder y did they get robbed...cuz not that these Hoods don't like yah lifestyle ..it's just your making their rent TO DAMN HIGH...

lets give a scary scenario...bob got locked up in 2000, for armed robbery ...thus this is an act to make money...( not the best action ) he was sentenced and thrown in jail...( Clap, the system works )...now bob wasn't behaving so his release was set back ...to 2011...he comes out a semi changed man...and is looking to go back to his home to ..guess where ..bedsty...to the new bedsty..with all the new yuppies.

bedsty which amazingly shot up bobs friends and family rent....from where it was 750 for a one bedroom apt...to now is 1,000 smackers...this promotes a problem for bob and now bob might go back to jail...cuz he can't afford to live....

now i kno u yuppies are wondering.." y doesn't bob get it together" not saying bobs lifestyle was rite, but reality is there bobs do exist...cuz that was the way it was in bklyn a lot of minorities have been there for decades living/surviving in these parts and bascially the yuppies are disturbing the Bob's of bedsty's survival. and there are plenty of Bob's whom come out looking to start over...or families that been there for years that really can't just " fix there income" facts of life...but have good time @ starbucks yuppies! k

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM

205 posts, read 507,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Both can be annoying and irritating they both represent some of the cities most extremes on opposite levels my friends.
Very true. However, a yuppie isnt going to rob you, fight you for stepping on thier timberlands, shoot you with a gun, beat you with a bat, stab you with a knife or threaten your safety. Ya the yupps can be annoying but at the end of the day you can laugh at it.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,343,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I find overly ambitious and career oriented people egocentric and annyoing.
NJ and CT cities will gladly take them off your hands and embrace them.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
NJ and CT cities will gladly take them off your hands and embrace them.
You couldn't, even if you wanted to.

These states do not have the infrastructure to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City