Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 AM

215 posts, read 661,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yuppies ruin whatever place they move to. They had destroyed San Francisco completely.
San Francisco was ruined in the 60's by hippies and other vermin. Yuppies are slowly bringing it back to life, but there's still a lot to be done to clean the city up from the ravages inflicted on it in decades past. But they're clearly winning the city back. Some day San Francisco will elect a Giuliani-like mayor. Some day.

Quote:
moving in and trying to breed
Is this some sort of gay bigotry and intolerance? Repeat after me: San Francisco was built by families for families. The overwhelming majority of the housing stock in the city was meant for families with children. The city is theirs. Not yours. The future belongs to children. Not to egotistic, disfunctional vermin who think "city vibes" are all about heavy drug use and puking on the sidewalks at 4 in the morning.

Quote:
I support politicians who DO want to do something about poverty.
No, you support politicians who keep people poor, unemployed and dependent on government handouts (makes it easier to lord over the plebs). When you're done guilt-tripping, take a look at the economic history of the US locale by locale. It is the oh so nice redistributionist politicians and their pet "useful idiots" among the middle class that vote for them who keep raising taxes to buy constituencies that drive local businesses out, create massive unemployment and otherwise destroy local economies. You want to help fight poverty? Vote for those who can keep taxes and spending low, regulations under control and help private enterprise keep humming and hiring.

Quote:
In addition to this, the city under Mayor Koch began strategies to attract mega bucks to the city by offering huge tax breaks for outside investors (but not small local business, which received much, much smaller incentives).
Most of those strategies were unsuccessful. Now, repeat: Wall Street bankrolls the state and the city of New York. Yes, it is the yuppies (if you take it as a synonym of "Wall Street bankers") that saved New York City. Without their taxes and spending the city would've long been dead. If Wall Street had left - as it threatens to do from time to time - no amount of immigrants would've saved the city and the state from bankruptcy. Koch, Giuliani and Bloomberg all knew it perfectly well. NYC was home to over 140 of the Fortune 500 companies in 1950's. It was truly the business capital of America. By early 1990's, it was down to around 42 or so - mostly finance companies. Every business that could leave the city, did - and finance was threatening to leave as well. NOT offering them incentives to stay would have been a suicide act.

You're living in a city that is bankrolled by Wall Street. NOT immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
I would take a yuppie anyday instead of a serial killer, rapist, arsonist, thug, etc.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 AM

10 posts, read 60,390 times
^ agreed. Hipsters ("yuppies") are the reason our neighborhood is one of the safest. No crime here.. That aside they single handedly tripled the rent in this area by making it the new lower east side.
Yes they're better than criminals but a few peeves I have with them...

They SMELL. Seriously I know they want to "go green" or whatever but a shower every once in awhile wouldn't kill em... They're also elitist, pretentious and all end up looking the same even though they try so hard to stand out. Most of em aren't from NY, and I feel like they're driving us native new yorkers out along with our culture and ethnicity. In my neighborhood if you closed your eyes and listened to people talking you'd have no idea you were even in NY, let alone Brooklyn - That bothers me; It's like another world from Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst where I was fortunate enough grow up -- I consider that the *real* Brooklyn. The bicycle thing is really annoying too, I can't tell you how many hipsters I almost hit because they blind side you from every angle and seem oblivious to the fact cars exist. In my neighborhood there's normal working class people and then there's the yuppies... No job, endless income and lots of pabst blue ribbon.

Last edited by bklynzf1nest; 05-24-2011 at 12:48 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM

140 posts, read 269,139 times
Yuppies and hipsters are not the same thing. You're obviously talking about hipsters.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
Yuppies and hipsters are not the same thing. You're obviously talking about hipsters.
this was semi-clarified here a few months ago. one poster said hipsters "turn into" yuppies eventually. he used the word 'yupster'. ...while i do not agree with that theory 100 percent, there do appear to be a lot of them who are likely "between" self-sufficiency and parent-funded Easy Street.

to me, a genuine yuppie is typically a legal, business or finance professional. some might have a trust fund, but most take pride in not having one. jmo. many yuppies refuse to entertain the idea of not living on the island of manhattan. again, jmo.

Last edited by grimace8; 05-24-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM

140 posts, read 269,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
to me, a genuine yuppie is typically a legal, business or finance professional. they might have a trust fund, but most take pride in not having one. jmo. many yuppies refuse to entertain the idea of not living on the island of manhattan. again, jmo.
The most general definition of "yuppie" I've found is "successful urban young professional." I know yuppies who are engineers, programmers, accountants, managers, financial professionals, lawyers, and others I'm probably forgeting. The trust fund thing does not have anything to do with yuppiedom. Many yuppies were poor and became successful thru education. Also, they used to prefer Manhattan; but that's not the case any longer. The #1 yuppie neighborhood in NYC is Park Slope after all.

About this thread, which I only read up until a couple of very ignorant people started to spew hate from their keyboards, there's nothing wrong with being a yuppie. Some of the characteristics that have been ascribed to all yuppies here are simply incorrect. You need not be an elistist to be a yuppie. You also don't need to have a strong attachment to material possessions. If some yuppies look or sound that way is because they are educated and have professional and personal aspirations that are very particular to young educated people.

About the other issues that have been discussed here, such as the displacement of working class people from their neighborhoods by yuppies, there's no question that these are real phenomena. It is a by-product of having people with higher incomes competing for housing stock with low income locals. There's no way to prevent this in our society; but there are many things government could do to ameliorate these problems which have not been attempted by the last few NYC administrations. The thruth is that Bloomberg only cares about the problems of the rich, and that's why a very mediocre candidate with no real backing whatsoever came very close to beating him in the last election.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,905 times
Because they didn't grow up in these streets and didn't have to work for jack ****. Big shot, upper middle class daddy paid for their college, pulls strings to get their kid into one of those prestigious 100k+ jobs, and is still paying the car payment on their new Mercedes. You never earned the right to live in New York like the rest of us. You didn't get the **** kicked out of you by four Italians across the street just because you were Irish. You're taking the "New York" out of NY. Yuppies need to gtfo.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
I don't mind them, as long as they don't move into my neighborhood and jack up the rents. At least the ghettos are getting better because of them.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Woozle's post = Truth.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 AM

337 posts, read 969,241 times
Yuppies and transplants are despised in nyc. They have destroyed the neighborhoods of ny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City