Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM

151 posts, read 300,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Texas has a more diverse landscape than NY, warmer weather, and lower taxes with cheaper housing. This is what $1 million will get in Southlake, Texas.

Moderator cut: Copyright issues. Post your own photographs, only.

Plus a beautiful lifestyle and booming economy.

Compared to Long Island $1 million, a crumbling state, high cost of living, and outrageous taxes that keep a lot of residents from enjoying what NY has to offer at all!

Dallas has a more diverse landscape than the New York City area? Really? I've lived in Texas and have been to Dallas many times. If you mean diverse forms of ugliness, then yes the Dallas area takes the cake. That area is completely boring, cookie-cutter, flat, low-class and unattractive.

We lived in a 7,000 square foot house, but at the end of the day....we still lived in Texas. I'm glad that nightmare is behind me.

I'll take this....

Over that anyday, thank you very much. Is there really a competition?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-08-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM

479 posts, read 1,443,165 times
Ewww... Did someone just mention that Texas is better than NYC!!! Moving to Texas is like a step down. Really.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
ummm ... i think this belongs on the texas or ny thread.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,238 times
Uh, you had to hit me with those photos! Beautiful and what I would miss about NY. I grew up in NYC, I love New York and if taxes were lower, housing was cheaper, and the quality of life was better I would love it even more. Like I said I am attached to NY. It is the greatest city in the world by far. However you can not possibly argue the quality of life is better in NY. NY has lost so much soul in a period of just a decade. There are two sides to the city - tourists and transplanted wannabe New Yorkers. When I went to Yankee games ten years ago it was fun. The crowd was into it. Now you see fake blondes from anywhere USA wearing a Yankee hat trying to make "NY" hand signals in the stands dancing to Empire State of Mind. Or walking down the street in Manhattan what do you see? 20 something year old girls on their cell phone nose in the air big sunglasses carrying designer shopping bags walking as if they are real New Yorkers. And I cringe at that walking down the street so much that sometimes I think NY should limit "immigration" from other states more than international.

I am not sure I will move to Texas yet. I am definitely considering it because with children I would like to give them room to have fun. I want an inground pool that can be used most of the year, an outdoor patio that can be used most of the year, high school football for my kid to play I am a fitness freak so my kids will be too, and a big yard for them. BUT I love being on a coast because I am an avid boater and I love being able to go to Yankee games. It is a tough decision for me and I am planning a trip to Southlake this fall to see. I know Dallas is a world class city and a flourishing one.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:16 PM

244 posts, read 625,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Uh, you had to hit me with those photos! Beautiful and what I would miss about NY. I grew up in NYC, I love New York and if taxes were lower, housing was cheaper, and the quality of life was better I would love it even more. Like I said I am attached to NY. It is the greatest city in the world by far. However you can not possibly argue the quality of life is better in NY. NY has lost so much soul in a period of just a decade. There are two sides to the city - tourists and transplanted wannabe New Yorkers. When I went to Yankee games ten years ago it was fun. The crowd was into it. Now you see fake blondes from anywhere USA wearing a Yankee hat trying to make "NY" hand signals in the stands dancing to Empire State of Mind. Or walking down the street in Manhattan what do you see? 20 something year old girls on their cell phone nose in the air big sunglasses carrying designer shopping bags walking as if they are real New Yorkers. And I cringe at that walking down the street so much that sometimes I think NY should limit "immigration" from other states more than international.

I am not sure I will move to Texas yet. I am definitely considering it because with children I would like to give them room to have fun. I want an inground pool that can be used most of the year, an outdoor patio that can be used most of the year, high school football for my kid to play I am a fitness freak so my kids will be too, and a big yard for them. BUT I love being on a coast because I am an avid boater and I love being able to go to Yankee games. It is a tough decision for me and I am planning a trip to Southlake this fall to see. I know Dallas is a world class city and a flourishing one.
Move to Virginia instead. Its rated the best place to do business in USA and you will be next to DC and 4 hours from NYC.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
You are certainly not "living the same lifestyle" in NYC as in the plastic suburb Dallas. I don't frankly understand what anyone is talking about when they say "quality of life in Dallas" unless that is a code word for "10,000 square foot mansion with...a 3 car garage." If you think that makes life worth living go for it, but to me there's a reason Dallas is so cheap. You get what you pay for.

And I've got to say that 2,300 square feet is not a "tiny" house.
I am so sick of this urban favoritism. You know everyone does not care about going to latest restaurant, art or culture. I am looking at Dallas too because I can have a cheap apartment, nice car and a fitness center in my apartment complex to workout in. Currently I am in Chicago, and the urban lifestyle has never appealed to me. It seems snobby, fake and annoying like it is better than anything else. Also, I have been to New York several times. To me it is more of the same urban lifestyle. It is can be ok to visit, but definitely not live

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Two notes:

1. This is not City vs. City. We are speaking of New York, NOT Texas, DC, or any other place.

2. Post only your OWN photographs, or a link to them. Do NOT post copyrighted images. If in doubt, please assume that it is protected.

Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
I don't HATE them, I just don't like what so many of them do. I like nice things as much as the next person, but so many of them, in addition to destroying the culture and raising the price of an area, turn their nose up at others who don't fit their standards.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 56,714 times
poverty breeds monsters... so does money but in a different way.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minilogue View Post
poverty breeds monsters... so does money but in a different way.

I'd rather have a money breed monster than a poverty breed monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City