Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

Is NYC my destiny? You know what? I really don't know but it is interesting to sit and think about it. When I think about it the only thing that would be a concern of mine would be the cost of living if I decided to live there one day. But where I live now isn't cheap either. I could pretty much deal with everything else because I'm a really flexible person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Fantastic Pay Opportunities, Beautiful Views of Central Park and City Skylines, Amazing Private schools and Universities, good social interaction with important & influential neighbors.

... there's plenty going for NYC if you're wealthy enough to not have to face the rough stuff.

In the real world where the majority of us live- I'll give NY(C) credit for this, and only this. It's one of the few places in the US where you can catch a direct flight to nearly anywhere in the world- for the lowest pricepoint possible.

It's something you DO miss when you're elsewhere.
Still get killed in taxes with the more money you make; not everybody can afford private schools and top universities. Also, not everybody is wealthy enough to stay out of an older house that needs work.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
If you're rich, you will be happy/comfortable anywhere. But like someone said, the middle class really does get kind of screwed here in NYC. I live in Staten Island, but have to commute to Manhattan for a decent paying (not GREAT paying, just decent) job, and so I have to spend $45 a week commuting on the express bus, which is aggravating and inefficient. Trying to get a job close to home is next to impossible, I have applications in at every hospital, and no luck yet. So I am stuck having no life, commuting to the city five days a week, and when I get home at 6pm, I am too exhausted to do much else.

I am born/raised here in the city, and I'm ready for a new place. I think a lot of people that live here feel that this is the only place for them, but that is just because they haven't had the pleasure of trying somewhere new. I know when I went to visit family out in California, it was like another world, in a good way.

Not knocking NYC, just know that I'm ready to leave and not look back.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM

17 posts, read 26,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Ok, u have to understand, many people to include myself do not see the subway system here as some great thing, but more of something u have to deal with living in NYC. Due to the heavy restrictions on parking here in NYC, a person almost becomes a hostage to the subway. Yes the metro card is $89 but take these things in mind; every car owner does not have a car note. I have a used car that runs just fine that I might have 2 take to the shop 2x a year and spending $200 dollar repair 2 x a year. I pay for gas 3 to 4 times a month at $35 dollars a clip. And my car insurance in CA is the big $35 a month, a killer on the pockets! So yes the car may cost people a little more but in other places the roads are more wide open, car insurance is cheaper and the speed limit is higher to move around. 4 out of my 6 of my points had to with a car b/c a comfortable commute to work or to a friends house affects people demeanor in a big way. Sharing the subway with strangers and fat people squeezing into seats aggravate alot of people more than they let on. I mean, if given the choice, how many people would really prefer to take the subway to work if they could exchange it for a 30 minute, non traffic car ride to a job that proivdes free parking
For me, comfort is worth a lil more cash. And besides, the subway doesnt exactly take u to everywhere u want to go in NYC. U still have those hard to reach places.
I would assume you don't live in LA even, though, you live in CA. LA, being Cali's largest city (and the closest thing to a big city like NY) is a place where you'll want to pull out a gun and shoot yourself after experiencing being stuck in rush hour traffic in LA for HOURS.

You have to realize that TIME IS MONEY. The Subway in NY, while certainly not the cleanest (when compared to London's Tube or Tokyo's subway system) is incredibly efficient. And despite the arguments, it IS a relatively cheap mode of transportation consider how far you can travel on a single Metro fare.

I'd much rather "share the subway with strangers and fat people" to get from Point A to Point B (because it's FAST) than sit in rush hour traffic, or often fight for parking spaces at a store parking lot.

I have lived in California and other parts of the country. Living in NY is a completely different experience. You quickly realize that you don't need to own a car and that's a very GOOD thing. There are delivery services in NY for practically everything you can imagine, from groceries to laundry to furniture to electronics to just about anything.

NY is a city that's about EFFICIENCY. Due to a large population in a very small area, everything is very close by.

When you move to NY from a place where you used to drive everywhere, you quickly realize how much better off you are not to have to mess with it - from a COST standpoint as well as a TIME WASTED standpoint.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
I would assume you don't live in LA even, though, you live in CA. LA, being Cali's largest city (and the closest thing to a big city like NY) is a place where you'll want to pull out a gun and shoot yourself after experiencing being stuck in rush hour traffic in LA for HOURS.

San Francisco is far more similar to the NYC/Manhattan in the sense it's the 2nd densest population in the US, Urban Environment, fewer cars to Mass Transit.

Los Angeles is much more like Brooklyn & Long Island- much more sprawling, heavily populated, different neighborhoods within a 'city/county'.

... and believe me, having lived and spent massive time all SF, Manhattan, LA, and Long Island- NYC & LI have by FAR the worst traffic. The majority of people in Manhattan may not choose to deal with the traffic, but those of us who have cars and lives that take us outside that island- believe me, tops LA any day of the week.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post

You have to realize that TIME IS MONEY. The Subway in NY, while certainly not the cleanest (when compared to London's Tube or Tokyo's subway system) is incredibly efficient. And despite the arguments, it IS a relatively cheap mode of transportation consider how far you can travel on a single Metro fare.

I'd much rather "share the subway with strangers and fat people" to get from Point A to Point B (because it's FAST) than sit in rush hour traffic, or often fight for parking spaces at a store parking lot.

I have lived in California and other parts of the country. Living in NY is a completely different experience. You quickly realize that you don't need to own a car and that's a very GOOD thing. There are delivery services in NY for practically everything you can imagine, from groceries to laundry to furniture to electronics to just about anything.

NY is a city that's about EFFICIENCY. Due to a large population in a very small area, everything is very close by.
Nah my dude, I actually do live in LA and commute 17 miles everyday to work from my house to South Central. I kid u not it takes me 25 min from when I start the car until I pull up in my parking space. COming home though does take 45 min but i can live with it.
Yes there are delivery services in NYC but many people I know dont use them b/c its an extra cost.
And u cant always say the subway is that efficient. That really only holds true for rush hour and many lines dont connect from BK to QUeens and none goto Staten island.
I think if u want a dating life or want to visit friends late at night a car is definately needed in NYC. It may be a lil more expensive but comfort is worth it to me and many others.
The subway seems cheap to NYers b/c as Bxguyanese said, insurance in NYC is a lot higher than almost every other state

Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 PM

91 posts, read 312,013 times
I second and third much of what people have been saying. I was born and raised in NYC and have lived here my whole life except for when I was getting my bachelors. It was alluring and exciting when I was younger, and there are so many opportunities here you would be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. However, now that I am older, married and with children, that allure is dwindling. In fact, I sense that I am getting burned out with NYC- the high population, noise, lack of space, expenses, taxes, poor educational system (working here as a teacher for 4 years.)

I am definitely ready to explore and look for a different change of pace for awhile. Who knows? Maybe when I am older and my kids are grown, I can come back. But for now? Looking to different horizons!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I've never lived in NYC, but I've always lived nearby in Southern Bergen County (NJ) and now Newark- I want out soon (mainly because of the expenses), but then again whenever I visit somewhere way out of the area- I always end up homesick. The people in the Tri State area are more open-minded and honest. Other people call us rude, but that's just it- "Those people" can be very judgmental and fake. They come off polite and all, but a lot of them don't want to know you on a personal level at all. You hear how the south is such a warm hearted place with nice people and so on- But what's up with their crime rates? Poverty rates? Quality of education? I'm talking about state wide rates/rankings. Apparantly they despise the NY/NJ transplants as well, and though they won't show it up-front, it's discussed a lot between them much more than vice versa- And it especially shows on these forums (how "we're" ruining their "culure and lifestyle")

I'm only talking about southern states here (Including FL) because that's where most of the NYers/NJians movers move to. I'm not trying to sound rude, but I feel like it's better here than where people are fleeing to.

And don't get me wrong, I loved VISITNG the south (FL, MS, LA, AL, VA, NC, SC)- But I'd never, EVER live there.

Basically, when I move it's not going to be more than 6 hours away from NYC.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM

323 posts, read 940,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If all that were true...and Chicago were all those things...why does everyone continue to go to NYC? Why is the population continuing to grow in NYC? Why haven't the major financial institutions moved to Chicago? Why is NYC still the financial and economic engine of the US? Chicago is a dying city that is becoming overwhelmed with crime, while NYC continues to reinvent itself, as it does repeatedly. You can believe otherwise, but you will only be fooling yourself.
I’d hardly say Chicago is dying! I lived there for 3 years and I would say the opposite. If anything, the damn suburbs are spreading way too much. It’s an Us vs. Them mentality when it comes to living in the suburbs vs. the city. If you live in one, you almost NEVER go to the other. The city core itself is revitalizing too. Probably with too much gentrification involved, but areas there were once the WORST projects now have $350K or half Mil homes on them. I will say it still doesn’t compare to NYC though. When I visited NY for the 1st time I was just blown away by how much bigger it is in scale then Chicago.

As for the topic at hand, it’s all a matter of what you prioritize in life.

As I type this I am desperately hopeful that I may be able to land a job in NYC soon. I’d be looking at $85K salary as a furniture designer. From what I’m told, at least enough $ to enjoy the city somewhat, and a bit over DOUBLE what I’ve been making in the Midwest. Every time the phone rings or I check my email I’m doing the sign of the cross! The recruiter claims they liked my resume and portfolio enough to pass it on to the Creative Director. I’m on pins and needles waiting to hear back.

I grew up in a town of 5,000 people in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. A High School of 600 people. A graduating class of 138. My Grandparents and my Parents can sit in the living room and biographically recall the past and present resident of almost any house in town it seems, and debate who the homeowner’s parents or children were. When I was a kid I would ride my bike 3 miles from home and across the highway to buy candy at the gas station. After that I would ride around and play in the woods on a trail system that stretched on for MILES of undeveloped property behind my home. A 4 bedroom, 3 bath detached 2 or more car garage, a finished basement, and 1 acre property home usually runs between $200K - $300K A starter home in the 1,000 – 1,500 sq. ft range that’s a fixer up er would run $40K - $70K With a 6 figure income you could live like a KING. Have said 4 bedroom home, drive new vehicles, own lake front property too. Gas is $2.75 a gal right now. Your house most likely has a garage, there’s parking spaces at work, on the street, and at the grocery store. You can drive across town in 10 minutes. Full coverage insurance on a new vehicle if you’re over 30 is probably under $200 a month if it’s a normal car. A Bud Light at a dive bar is $1 for draft. There’s no cover charge. You don’t have to be on the guest list or bring 4 women to be allowed in if you’re a guy. Grey Goose is $4-$5. A Jager bomb is $4. It takes a lot of effort to make a bar tab that’s $100 or more.

The flip side is there’s very few jobs, and almost nothing to do. If you like the outdoors it's heaven because camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, sking, etc are minutes away. But if you expect the constant pulsating livelihood of a place like New York, you’d go crazy. Having lived in some 200K people places, and in Chicago, even I have a hard time thinking I could go back. I’m unemployed now and I was in the final pool of applicants for a labor pool job in the Paper Mill my Dad works at back home. I COULD justify going back for the dirt cheap cost of living, being back with my family, doing all of the outdoors ****, etc. but I would miss a lot of what I saw and did in Chicago too.

I’m definitely beside myself with excitement over the idea that I could be living in New York soon, but at least right now, I don’t think it would be forever. By the time I’m 40 and I have a family started (I’m 30 and single now), going back to someplace more like where I came from and enjoying the freedom and cheap cost of living is probably going to pull me back. I will miss owning a car. I will miss having a yard. I will miss the woods. I will miss a much more relaxed pace of life. On the other hand though of course there is so much to say about the boundless opportunities that New York has to offer too, and if it happens, I will love and embrace every single minute of it. Wish me luck!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Not too mention, now that I live in another state, i realize that things that are considered luxuries in NYC are considered the norm in other places i.e jobs that provide parking; houses/apt's that provide parking; apt. complexes that come with pools; cheap car insurance; streets that actually allow u to park on them w/o 10 different signs trying to trick you; affordable housing ect...
Given. But the only reason any of that stuff seems "wow" to you is because you didn't know any different growing up. Clearly there are trade offs between living in an east coast metropolis and a SoCal suburb. I agree Southern California can be the shizzle under the right circumstance, but it can also be generic and soul-sucking in it's own way (as living in suburbia can be anywhere)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City