Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,256,382 times

Advertisements

I saw a table at the TimeWarner Center, but they didn't have a sign or anything. I thought it was an odd location.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

172 posts, read 448,906 times
Im a little confused, you guys are saying the FDNY doesn't care about the residents of NYC? Nah, you're right, I ONLY RISK MY LIFE FOR THEM! Maybe you guys should be happy with having the BEST qualified show up for you.
and I think your numbers are skewed; it's probably more like 65-70% NYC residents on the FD

And before you go shooting your mouths off, maybe you should step up and take the test before saying what you ASSUME to be true!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
Bombero...you sound like the typical Fireman unfortunately. "Shooting my mouth off"...very typical attitude from Firemen and cops for that matter.

I would like the BEST qualified, however you are telling me a 5th grader can pass the test..so which is it? BEST qualified or a bunch of 5th graders running the show? And the reality is, you are not "risking your life for me"...you are in a cushy job that does absolutely nothing 98% of the time, you are paid well for it, and receive monumental benefits and a pension for doing 98% NOTHING.

That 2% you do is LESS than the 25% of things I do/go thru day in and day out LIVING in the communities you commute to and then leave. You are no hero to me, you are doing a job you are paid well for and I appreciate that...unfortunately the attitude that pervades the dept and the contempt they have towards many of the communities they serve negates whatever positive you do. AS a result..you are a big NEGATIVE, NOT A POSITIVE, and your attitude on here is representative of why changes need to happen.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM

You just proved you know nothing about my job.
I never said anything about being a hero, what I do at work is all part of my job.
And until you crawl down a hallway that you can't see six inches in front of you and it's hotter then hell at 4 in the morning, then maybe you can compare my 2% to your 25.

again, take the test, you sound like you're filled with envy.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM

There is nothing to envy, as I have no interest in the job or working with the people. And I have crawled out of a building that was burning..so again, nothing new or special. Your 2% is also composed of turning off fire hydrants (sometimes) and blaring your sirens as you scowl at those you drive past.

Why would I take a test, or why would anyone take a test, that you claim can be passed by a 5th grader? Was this an achievement for you? Why do you think this is a good thing? It's really sad, and explains why the Fire Dept is filled with the wrong people.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 PM

The part about a 5th grader passing is in reference to why low number of minorites on the job. Which the Vulcan society has claimed to being to difficult for minorities to pass. Their words not mine. You seem to think you know so much about the FDNY, when in fact you know very little.
Last year was one of the busiest on record for the FD. So for you to think we work only 2% of the time is pretty ridiculous. With your know it all attitude I don't think you could handle 24HRS ON MY JOB.
By the way I live and work in the 5 boroughs

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM

I am glad you work in the 5 boroughs, but your attitude unfortunately is why so many people dislike the Fire Dept and the Police Force (typically condescending, full of contempt, and hostile). If you believe the test can be passed by a 5th grader, then you must also believe that those people of color that are applying cannot test at a 5th grade level? If the test is as simple as you allege (I am inclined to agree with you unfortunately), and people of color, in general, who are taking this test cannot pass a test at a 5th grade level, then our society as a whole has a very very serious problem.

I don't think we should dumb down any exam, I think we should continually raise the bar and simply do a better job of recruiting and assisting potential candidates. If the test is challenging...good..I want it to be challenging, however we should also provide support for those who want it. I took an SAT prep class, not because I am dumb or incapable of doing well on the test, but because I wanted to be as prepared as possible, and do the best I can. Why can't we do the same for this test for those who need it? Raise the bar, get rid of the 5th graders that have been here for generations, and get local people filling the ranks. You will have a better functioning FD, better community relations, and the money will stay local. So what's the problem here?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM

SobroGuy, you say because of my attitude, most people have a dislike for FD, that's news to me.
Being a fireman is not your typical job, as I said earlier it's something you're born to do. Are there guys on the job that are there just because it's a job, sure, but they are the minority.
The job isn't a secret. The test is given every 4 years. Do well, pass the physical and wait to be called. Look for the notice to take the test in the Chief or on the Fdny website, it's that easy.
Why do minorities not really have a desire to take the job? Not sure, maybe it's the same reasons Caucasian really haven't a desire for token clerk or meter maid or corrections jobs. Just not interested.
I really don't get the whole "the department should reflect the neighborhood" aspect. Last I checked nobody was concerned at what color I was when I went to help them.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 PM

I am not one for race-based anything, but I find it unusual for a Fire Dept to be 91% anything when the city is as diverse as it is, and when they all look pretty much the same, that makes it even more unusual. Yet, they don't see anything unusual about that....which makes me even more concerned. I also find it surprising that the Fire Dept also has a disproportionately high number of people who DO NOT live in the 5 boroughs, and don't care to for that matter.

I cannot tell you that people of color do not take the exam at a rate lower than anyone else, but we do know that 91% white speaks volumes in a city that is about 40% white. Again, I am not one for race-based anything, and I don't care what color anyone is, but I do note what color they aren't in a city that they do not represent at all.

Bombero, the question remains, if 91% of the fire departments in LI and Westchester County were black/hispanic, and the majority of firemen in Westchester and LI lived in the Bronx and Brooklyn, what do you think residents would be saying? Why aren't they local? And for some reason, the test was too hard for whites to pass...therefore it's ok and everyone should shut up. Weird answer right? And probably not one anyone would accept. And yet when you look at the fire departments in all those places, they are pretty much identical to the demographics of the NYC fire department. Kinda weird huh?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,071,256 times
SobroGuy goes to work in a suit and tie with polished shoes, he has the anti blue collar/anti union sentiment.
Maybe he is hostile because he lives in the South Bronx,I don't know.

Speaking about the South Bronx what is up with lowlifes who throw buckets of cement or whatever they can find off roof tops at firemen down below on the street, this can happen anywhere but I do remember incidents like this that have happened before in the South Bronx. What do you have to say about that? Also, are you happy that they scrapped the next FDNY class? Since you voted for Mayor Bloomberg I am sure you support his plan on closing several firehouses around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City