Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times

Advertisements

So when I question this strange statistic about the FDNY I must be anti blue collar/anti-union, and hostile b/c I live in the South Bronx? That is the kind of purposeful deflection that the FDNY is very good at....but does not change that 91% number. We can address the issue or talk about me supposedly being "angry" and "anti-whatever." Guess which issue the FDNY would prefer to talk about (hint..it isn't that 91% statistic).

Vantastic, as soon as you tell me about the low-lives attacking hardworking people of color, and murdering them in LI, we can talk about the low-lives in the Southern Bronx. And there are many incidents where the FDNY was busy drinking themselves into a stupor and getting into fights with themselves, residents, and the NYPD for that matter..what's up with the 5th grade shananigans? That is a culture of "I don't care about you, I don't care about anyone, I am gonna do what I want so too bad." Wonderful attitude.

I am in fact not happy with scrapping the next FDNY class...I think they should scrap all of the current FDNY, rehire locals, and roll heads at the top, implement some serious attitude training, and only then will we have a true Fire Department of NY that we can be proud of and that is a part of NYC, and not just an occupying force from LI and Westchester.

Regarding the closing of Firehouses, I do in fact support them because we all have to make sacrifices and tighten our belts. Not sure why the fire department would be exempt? They are welcome to take pay cuts/benefit cuts if it is that important to them to keep fully staffed, otherwise they are getting cut like everyone else.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM

172 posts, read 448,906 times
All I can say is wow. No more no less. You have made up your mind! You sure use a broad brush to paint.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM

876 posts, read 2,144,794 times
Can someone tell me why it is said there isnt enough blacks and hispanics on the fire department but no one speaks for the asians. I have never seen an asian firefighter. I have seen many asian postal workers more so then whites but never seen them as firefighters. Maybe it is because in their community people arent interested in being a firefighter. I hate al sharpton, jesse jackson and racist like them who think that we need to have everything the same. The mta has more blacks and hispanics then whites. Why does no on say anything about that. Asians arent firefigthers not because of the white man but because of their lack of interest which is nothing wrong with.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM

172 posts, read 448,906 times
Well said SanMan... but that's not a good enough reason for SobroGuy.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,231,487 times
WOW

SoBroGuy literally has zero idea WTF he is babbling on about

*shakes head*

Old 11-28-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And I have crawled out of a building that was burning..

This right here tells you everything you need to know, lol....

Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 AM

943 posts, read 4,263,645 times
I think the both parties make good arguments. The "2%" the FDNY does is tougher than any aspect of anybody elses job, but the 91 percent number can't be ignored in a city where whites are the minority. I also don't think it is a bad idea to have jobs restricted to residents or at least give them a year to move to that city upon hiring.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 AM

442 posts, read 1,298,585 times
nobody answered the op's question. im curious to know the answer

Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
nobody answered the op's question. im curious to know the answer
Alrighty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
I have noticed that the NYFD has a bunch of hiring booths/tables around the subway stations. Have you seen them in your area? If so, what gives? I thought that it was extremely difficult to land a position in the NYFD and they only did their "real" hiring once every few years. I thought we were also in the middle of the great depression...so are they toying with us or are there really a need for fire fighters? I know it's not the easiest job, but from what I have heard/seen, many people would love to join.

The recruitment that the city does when a new test rounds the corner is biggest crock of sh@t money waster that they can possibly do. There are literally thousands upon thousands of potential candidates (of any race, gender, orientation, etc....) that wait patiently for a new test to come around. This is one of the most highly sought after city jobs. Having to recruit is a f@cking showcase that the city has to do in order to show that they are trying to diversify. But that is fine, honestly. Recruit til you wits end. But that is where it stops. If people want this job, they come get it with full force like a goddamn pitbull. It is very competitive and you have to work hard to get it.

And yes, there is a need for firefighters right now. At this point the city is probably down well over 300 in headcount. And this was all ready to be filled with an academy class right up until the race-baiting Vulcan society had a radical Judge put a stop to it. And there were a good number of well-qualified, stand up minority candidates who would be in these next few classes that are now caught in limbo because of this nonsense. Guys and gals that truly desire the job, and worked hard to get where they were.

And if by "'real' hiring once every few years" the OP is suggesting that hiring happens for people who have connections to the job often and unbeknownst to the public? Well that is just another aspect where the public is GROSSLY mis-informed about the dept, and it is truly truly sad......

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
I would enjoy it if people were able to correct me and answer the question. Why is the firedept 91% white and staffed predominantly with people who do not live in NYC? And when we ask this question why is there something wrong with me for asking?

And the better question is this: What do you think Mamaroneck or Cold Springs Harbor residents would say if 91% of their fire depts were black and hispanic predominantly from Brooklyn and the Bronx? No comments? No questions? Everything is just fine? "The test is just too hard for whites." They would be just fine with that answer I am sure.

So if it's not okay for them, why are we racist/rude/anti-fire dept when we ask it? I want the best fireman I can get regardless of color, I don't want a test described as "a 5th grader can pass it", and we should have NYC residents, not LI and Westchester residents, exclusively in the dept. And the system we have right now produces NONE of these things.

So what's the problem here?

Last edited by SobroGuy; 11-30-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City