Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM

9 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

I dont think the firefighters should have to take a pay cut to keep the stations open. What money they get I dont beleave is enough let alone have them take a pay cut. I could be wrong on this and dont have the time to look it up, but last i heard FDNY firefighters was getting around 30,000 a year I may be wrong on this. But anyhow the training the on going training the risk Im pretty sure is well worth more then 30. You wanna make pay cuts why not start at the high pay city officials. Is the mayor willing to take a cut? what about the mayors staff? I think all high city officials are over paid. Not sure what the mayor gets paid but I know they dont earn the money they get paid. Thats why they have a staff to do the work for them.

As far as being a FDNY firefighter and not caring about NYC I doubt any firefighter doing his job doesnt care about the city. I dont wanna bring up 9/11 but that shows ya that they care about the city how many people would rush in a building to try n save someone if they didnt care? who would take a job in and emergancy field if they didnt care about the people and the area they are protecting. As I stated in my other post Im a volli I work full time 50 6O hours a week and then I run calls take training hrs upon hrs of training why? cause I care about my area and the people in it. As one stated before firefighting isnt for everyone its eaither in you or its not. Attacking the firefighters of FDNY isnt right.

Let me ask you this, Let say FDNY firefighters and EMTs know who you are in person, and you need help traped in a burning building, pinned in public transit where you need extricated or you need help cause your having a heart attack, and they decide not to help ya cause hey they dont care about the city and the people there. I bet you change your tune real fast then.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Yea I've seen them "recruiting" frequently at the Jamaica Center train station here in Queens. Very interesting commentary in this thread though. All I gotta say is that I don't have any particular beef with the FDNY, but I do think that this is probably for show. I kinda see them in a similar light to Army recruiters from back in the day....and it's true that most black & latinos aren't really interesting in becoming firefighters...it's just not as appealing to us as say being a cop. Firefighters aren't really a major presence/influence in the black/latino community as they are in Italian & Irish (i.e. White) communities where the ethnic/racial makeup of the FDNY is mainly composed of. Interestingly enough...the EMT, which is a division of the FDNY (unbeknownst to most NYers) has a very visible black/latino presence from my observations (esp. women).

Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
For the record I do not think firemen are BAD, I think the SYSTEM is bad, and is set up in such a way that prevents locals from joining. The firemen that make up the NYC firedept DO NOT LIVE IN THE COMMUNITY, or the city for that matter. They drive in from the exurbs, and do their job and then quickly leave.

Why is this set up this way? Why do we have the bulk of firemen living in LI or Westchester? And by the way, if the situation were reversed and we have Brown and Black people from Brooklyn and the Bronx as the bulk of firemen in Long Island and Westchester, I would be posing the same question, although not as loudly as the Westchester and LI residents would be.

I get that you can die by being a fireman, and they are "putting their lives on the line", but if it's that horrible of a deal, why is there a lock on the firedept so that it remains almost identical to what it was 40 years ago? What other area of NYC municipal employees is identical to what it was 40 years ago? The answer: NONE..why is that? And why am I a bad guy for asking the question?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
For the record I do not think firemen are BAD, I think the SYSTEM is bad, and is set up in such a way that prevents locals from joining. The firemen that make up the NYC firedept DO NOT LIVE IN THE COMMUNITY, or the city for that matter. They drive in from the exurbs, and do their job and then quickly leave.

Why is this set up this way? Why do we have the bulk of firemen living in LI or Westchester? And by the way, if the situation were reversed and we have Brown and Black people from Brooklyn and the Bronx as the bulk of firemen in Long Island and Westchester, I would be posing the same question, although not as loudly as the Westchester and LI residents would be.

I get that you can die by being a fireman, and they are "putting their lives on the line", but if it's that horrible of a deal, why is there a lock on the firedept so that it remains almost identical to what it was 40 years ago? What other area of NYC municipal employees is identical to what it was 40 years ago? The answer: NONE..why is that? And why am I a bad guy for asking the question?

If you're gonna keep on spewing the same crap over and over and over again..........then I am going to keep reminding you how much you tucked on every response to every one of your questions I've given you to you, and that you refuse to come back with anything of substance.....

Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

You can choose to deflect and make it about me..but it isn't about me at all...you can call it "the same crap" but it's "the same crap" that people were asking when parkchester said "No coloreds welcome" in 1979 or when the police force said the same thing in the 60s and 70s.

But for some reason..the fire dept is identical to 40 years ago...and you have to wonder..why is that? Keep attacking me..but the question is valid today as much as it was 40 years ago.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You can choose to deflect and make it about me..but it isn't about me at all...you can call it "the same crap" but it's "the same crap" that people were asking when parkchester said "No coloreds welcome" in 1979 or when the police force said the same thing in the 60s and 70s.

But for some reason..the fire dept is identical to 40 years ago...and you have to wonder..why is that? Keep attacking me..but the question is valid today as much as it was 40 years ago.

MOTHER OF GOD

I'm not attacking you. I am trying to engage you in an honest debate. If you insist on saying the same things over and over again, then at least have the guts to debate the person who on the previous pages has answered every one of your questions.....

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM

I am not the Mother of God..if anything I would be the Father but I appreciate the compliment. Please just call me SobroGuy though in public.

I say the same things over and over again because nobody answers me..so how exactly can you allege to debate me? Guts has nothing to do with anything...I posed a simple question, and wait for a reasonable response. I believe that's how debates work. You and I are going in circles though.maybe other can join in and help break the cycle.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I am not the Mother of God..if anything I would be the Father but I appreciate the compliment. Please just call me SobroGuy though in public.

I say the same things over and over again because nobody answers me..so how exactly can you allege to debate me? Guts has nothing to do with anything...I posed a simple question, and wait for a reasonable response. I believe that's how debates work. You and I are going in circles though.maybe other can join in and help break the cycle.
I answered you. I know my posts a couple pages back were a little bit long, but if you apply yourself a little bit; I'm thinkin you might be able to comprehend it.

So again, I ALREADY ANSWERED YOU. Are your reading this? I already answered you.

It should sink in now for you.

Go back. Read. It's not too difficult....

Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM

87 posts, read 227,951 times
Quote:
but if it's that horrible of a deal, why is there a lock on the firedept so that it remains almost identical to what it was 40 years ago?
Quote:
There is nothing to envy, as I have no interest in the job or working with the people.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM

What's your point cap'n?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City