Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,825,687 times

Advertisements

There's other, more desirable areas. IDK if you've been, but the South Bronx has the highest density of poverty in the nation. It's also ridden with rats, roaches, and illegals. Try Morris Park in the Bronx, it's much nicer. You should find a one bedroom for $900/mo there.

If your budget is really that low, to the point that your only limited to the South Bronx (or in any other ghetto in NYC), try Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,055,576 times
You'll be in the highest crime area of the city. (taking into account different adjacent neighborhoods).

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,384,015 times
You are in one of the highest crime areas in the largest safest city in the country...so let's keep things in perspective. Would you mind being the "worst of the best"....cuz that's how I see it. The area is improving in leaps and bounds, not just in crime, but in housing, amenities, and the quality of residents. But don't take my word for it, I would be happy to show you personally the big bad South Bronx, and confirm some things, and reveal the truth about others. This offer applies to anyone else curious about the area. The area has LOTS of social ills and other issues, but it is improving.

Most on here talk the talk, I walk the walk.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM

129 posts, read 250,473 times
I'm moving to the South Bronx, but from what I've been reading on here, I'll be living in one of the better locations (near Yankee stadium).

Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are in one of the highest crime areas in the largest safest city in the country...so let's keep things in perspective. Would you mind being the "worst of the best"....cuz that's how I see it. The area is improving in leaps and bounds, not just in crime, but in housing, amenities, and the quality of residents. But don't take my word for it, I would be happy to show you personally the big bad South Bronx, and confirm some things, and reveal the truth about others. This offer applies to anyone else curious about the area. The area has LOTS of social ills and other issues, but it is improving.

Most on here talk the talk, I walk the walk.
x2

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Cali I personally like the Yankee Stadium area for a few reasons:

1-The art deco buildings/Grand Concourse there are very pretty.
2-It is very affordable.
3-The public transportation options, including Metro-North and express 4/D trains are excellent. You are also right off the Deegan, and a few minutes from the GWB/Cross Bronx/Bruckner etc.
4-The commute to the city is very fast.
5-The increasing number of amenities in the area, like all the retailers at the new Gateway Center.
6-The newly revamped Yankee Stadium zone is a big plus and is visually appealing.
7-The new waterfront access and parks created, plus new trees throughout the area.
8-The walkability and the restaurants, bars, etc.
9-The repositioning of the entire area from Yankee Stadium south to working/middle class residents, including new middle class waterfront housing/amenities in the works.
10-All the upside potential!

Need I say more?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM

+ 2 malls within walking distance

Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM

129 posts, read 250,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Cali I personally like the Yankee Stadium area for a few reasons:

1-The art deco buildings/Grand Concourse there are very pretty.
2-It is very affordable.
3-The public transportation options, including Metro-North and express 4/D trains are excellent. You are also right off the Deegan, and a few minutes from the GWB/Cross Bronx/Bruckner etc.
4-The commute to the city is very fast.
5-The increasing number of amenities in the area, like all the retailers at the new Gateway Center.
6-The newly revamped Yankee Stadium zone is a big plus and is visually appealing.
7-The new waterfront access and parks created, plus new trees throughout the area.
8-The walkability and the restaurants, bars, etc.
9-The repositioning of the entire area from Yankee Stadium south to working/middle class residents, including new middle class waterfront housing/amenities in the works.
10-All the upside potential!

Need I say more?
all that sounds really good. i'm excited to see the area for myself next month when i visit.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 PM

I would not count the Concourse plaza as a mall I would ever visit, except maybe to park and walk somewhere around there. That mall blows...and as far as Ia m concerned does not exist. I went to the movie theater once when I was younger...bad idea! That was enough for me!

Cali do you know anyone in the area? It is best to have someone that knows the area accompany you and show you things you should see/know.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Well, it's not a real mall...but it's not that bad

You have the huge supermarket(food bazarr) a decent food court, bank, footlocker, radioshack, and a couple other interesting stores.

It's better than nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City