Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Fordham Rd definitely has the highest foot traffic in the Bx and one of the highest in the city.It's not so much around Fordham U but further West from Webster past The Grand Concourse and over to Devoe Park( University Place) is quite intense.Around the intersection with the Concourse is probably the heaviest.The subway stop(s) would be the Fordham Metro North station(2nd busiest on Metro North next to Grand central) at 3rd Avenue,the B and D stop at The Grand Concourse and the 4 stop on Jerome and Fordham. The stops are all called Fordham.There may not be a Macy's but there are numerous old style multi level department stores with escalators,etc as well as Sears,Best Buy,P.C. Richards,Toys r us,Staples and every other big box chain and food chain that has every been invented.

Take a walk from the Fordham metro north station all the way to Devoe Park( and up and down the Grand Concourse at the Fordham Rd intersection)...you will be amazed.

Bay Ridge has a pretty busy shopping district too... must be one of the busiest in Brooklyn.
Thanks, I think I have only been on the outskirts of that shopping district. I need to reevaluate it. It's much larger than I thought. Thanks for the info!

BTW, I wasn't aware of Bay Ridge having a large shopping district. Where is it? Is it at the end of the R train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
All you have to do is look for the spots where the big guys have already planted themselves.For example,the shopping area near my apartment (near Pelham Parkway and White Plains Rd) has Staples,McDonald's, Burger King,Radio Shack,Walgreens,CVS,Duane Read,GNC,Bolton's, Dress Barn,Foot Locker,Game Stop,Petland,etc,etc all within a 2 block stretch.A shop closed a month or so ago and now a Toys R Us has opened in it's place.
While nothing like Fordham Rd or Flushing or Fulton Street you can be sure that it has a very heavy foot traffic or the big guys would never have settled in.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Thanks, I think I have only been on the outskirts of that shopping district. I need to reevaluate it. It's much larger than I thought. Thanks for the info!

BTW, I wasn't aware of Bay Ridge having a large shopping district. Where is it? Is it at the end of the R train?
86th St. BAY RIDGE'S 86TH ST. IS HOT SPOT TO SHOP 50,000 visit area's 152 stores each day (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/ny_local/2003/07/20/2003-07-20_bay_ridge_s_86th_st__is_hot_.html - broken link)
They have a Century 21 and Kleinfeld's brings people from all over the country.
R train to 86th St stop.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-23-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Parkchester.

Also, which store does he own in the 'Port

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Austin Street in Forest Hills

Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fordham Rd in the Bronx is the 3rd largest retail corridor in all of NYC, strange how you mention Fulton St but not Fordham Rd. As a result, it has very high foot traffic, though not so much for tourists, but then again, neither does Fulton St.

I am willing to bet that the Yankee stadium area, on game days, rivals anywhere else in the city for foot traffic, however this is a seasonable area, so it would depend on his business. I would say those 2 are about it for the Bronx for foot traffic. We have the HUB (149th and 3rd ave area) also but that's not ready for prime time just yet.
I'm from the Bronx and I agree with this suggestion. I was walking along Fordham from 3rd Ave to Grand Concourse a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe at some of the retail stores that have opened since I've last visited (over a year ago)...GAP, Checkers, Best-Buy, etc. There were literally hundreds of pedestrians...and this was on a Sunday. I think Fordham University is a major contributor in the overall foot traffic of the area.

IMO Fulton St Mall is TRASH. That's where the hood hangs out...unless your friend sells bootleg Jordans & DVDs...Fulton St is a no-go (yea ok you can find that on Fordham too, but Fordham Rd to me is less ghetto). Downtown Brooklyn along Flatbush Avenue up to Grand Army Plaza is a much better bet.

Queens...pretty much anywhere along Queens Blvd is good..especially around Woodhaven Blvd (Queens Center), 63rd Drive (Rego Park), 71st Ave (Forest Hills), or Metropolitan Ave/Union Turnpike (Kew Gardens). Main Street in Flushing has a lot of foot traffic. Ditmars Blvd has supposedly good foot traffic as well. Hope that helps.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
Austin St. in Forest Hills. NEar the 71 continental subway stop.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Went to 86 st in Bay Rjdge today. Mix reviews. Nice amount of foot traffic but no where near Flushing's and not even close to what you see at the Hub. I didn't like the set of stores on 86 st. It was like a mall on LI but in an urban street setting. I did however love 5th ave. in Bay Ridge. It reminded me of Court st in Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill back in the 70's. Many mom and pop stores and diverse restaurants. My ladyfriend and I had a great lunch and lots of fun at a Lebanese restaurant. 5th Ave. made up for having to see chain stores like Century 21, Zales, Gap, Benetton's, Children's Place and Aldo's on 86.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Austin St. in Forest Hills. NEar the 71 continental subway stop.
My next week's agenda

Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fordham Rd in the Bronx is the 3rd largest retail corridor in all of NYC, strange how you mention Fulton St but not Fordham Rd. As a result, it has very high foot traffic, though not so much for tourists, but then again, neither does Fulton St.

I am willing to bet that the Yankee stadium area, on game days, rivals anywhere else in the city for foot traffic, however this is a seasonable area, so it would depend on his business. I would say those 2 are about it for the Bronx for foot traffic. We have the HUB (149th and 3rd ave area) also but that's not ready for prime time just yet.
Yes true indeed. Yankee Stadium on game days foot traffic sligthly rivals the foot traffic on the tourist trap of times square or even Herald Square. for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City