Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM

121 posts, read 387,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
If i was at my computer & not my cell id put up all ive read but do YOU live in wash hts or bed stuy?? No! Advice from sumione who has lived there recently would be nice???
well i'm telling you now i used to live in washington heights and it was okay, nothing ever happened to me. but it's disgusting over there why pay 1000 dollars or even more in a one bedroom filled with rats, when you can pay 300 dollars less in bed-stuy and probably be cleaner, washington heights is filthy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
shablee33, as the other reasonable posters have noted, be aware of your surroundings. Not paying attention is the biggest mistake I have seen newbies make. For example, I once noticed a young woman walking into my building ahead of me with her earphones in and she didn't once look behind her to see who I was and she didn't close the entry door behind her securely. I wanted to yell at her for being so stupid.

The biggest problem women have when it comes to safety is our societal training to be nice. We are raised to not want to hurt anyone's feelings and in order to be safe we must let that go. That means closing the entry door behind you even if someone else is coming, crossing the street if you feel uncomfortable, walking past your building to the nearest open business, etc. Not just in WH, but everywhere.

Recently there has been a guy targeting women in StuyTown which is in one of the neighborhoods people would approve on this board - he has been successful in his crimes because he has followed women into their buildings. I'm not blaming the victims, but people need to be smarter. The police are telling women to not let anyone in their buildings, even if they recognize the person.

Once again, I wish you would reconsider the apartment and bringing your dog until you can afford something better. But we all have to learn through our own experiences.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Again, you STILL are clueless. Bed-Stuy had actually had LESS crime than WH in the past 8 weeks.

Murders: 0 BS, 2 WH..... WH is worse!
Rapes: 1 BS, 6 WH.....Again, WH is worse!!
Felony Assault: 27 BS, 35 WH....Again, WH is worse!!!
Armed Robbery: 41 BS, 45 WH....Again, WH is worse!!!!
Burglaries: 34 BS, 36 WH....And yet again, WH is worse!!!

Did you actually DO any research? I'm not trying to beat you up here, but you don't seem to know as much as you think. Not that Bed-Stuy is a good place (it's not), but 176th & Audubon is equally bad.
TurtleCreek,you have too look at more than the number of crimes to figure out the crime rate.Some precincts have populations of 60,000 or 70,000 and some are 150,000.So far this year,the Bed Stuy precinct has had 12 murders with a population of 140,000 people.That's 8.3 per murders per 100,000.
Wash Heights( 2 precincts with a population of 208,000) has had 7 murders this year.That's 3.5 per 100,000.
The murder rate in Bed Stuy is more than double that of Washington Heights and the crime rates in all other categories are similar.

Year after year,after year,the crime rates in Bed Stuy are among the highest in the city.

Here is a few year old(2008) crime map that shows the relative crime rates of all neighborhoods in the city.Darkest areas have the highest crime rates.It doesn't generally change much from year to year so don't discount it because it is from 2008. 2010 will not look much different.

As you can see,Washington Heights' crime rate is not much worse than the UWS and is considerably less than most of Harlem,some parts midtown,the lower east side,South Bronx ,SE Queens and a huge chunk of Brooklyn.

A Map of Crime Rates in Each City Precinct -- New York Magazine

Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Bluedog-

Yes, but the WH crime rate on your map has the better/safer neighborhoods (west of Bway) mixed in with the much rougher parts east of Bway....OP is moving to the worst part of WH at 176 & Audubon.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Bluedog-

Yes, but the WH crime rate on your map has the better/safer neighborhoods (west of Bway) mixed in with the much rougher parts east of Bway....OP is moving to the worst part of WH at 176 & Audubon.
Right,but how do we know she wasn't looking at a place in the "worst" part of Bed Stuy ? The maps of Bed Stuy also have the better areas mixed in with the worse areas.You can say that about every precinct in the city.The stats indicate that the average Bed Stuy block has a much higher crime rate than the average Washington Heights block.

I don't know exactly what the "worst" part of Washinghton Heights is or exactly what the "worst" part of Bed Stuy is, other than hearsay.I do know that you cannot say that Bed Stuy has a lower crime rate than Washington Heights and that is what I was responding to.

I have spent enough time in both areas to know that there are sections of Washington Heights that make me very nervous and sections of Bed Stuy that make me very,very nervous.Even if the crime rates were the same,I would rather live in most of Washington Heights for a lot of reasons.

If the OP says that she went to both neighborhoods and found Bed Stuy worse than Washington Heights then I can certainly believe it and her instincts should be all that really matter.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-06-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Some parts of Washington Heights is pretty friggin bad if you asked me. My cousin lives on 168th and St. Nicholas and I can't say that its the best of neighborhoods. I've seen plenty of foul activity going on and the people are pretty hostile. With that said, I'm sure you'll survive. I've seen PLENTY of White people walk by the area even late at night. Like any other neighborhood nowadays in the city, if you just mind your own business and do what you have to do and don't mingle with the wrong crowd-you'll be safe for the most part. Just because you're White doesn't mean you'll have a target on your back contrary to what you might believe. With that said as well, I would choose Washington Heights over Bed Stuy as a caucasian. You'll blend in more over that area.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Bluedog-

Exactly. Audobon ave is an extremely drug ridden and dangerous strip. It is easily the worst avenue in Washington Heights. If you take the crime rate for those blocks, it would come out very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City