Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM

69 posts, read 156,228 times

Advertisements

When my parents speak of all the bad areas..it seems like half of the city lol

So it seemed like these areas were no gos

South Bronx
Harlem
East Harlem
Lower East Side
Alphabet City
West Side(6-10 avenue)
Bed-Stuy
Brunswick

I just find it so strange that NYC was so bad so recently...
One thing that really perplexes me is that the city population did not even go down that much
(like 7.8 million down to 7 million)...so how did a decrease of like 10% wreak such devestation on the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
In the South Bronx areas that sufferred severe decay was:
Mott Haven
Melrose
Hunts Point/Longwood
Morrisania
West Farms
East Tremont
Highbridge
Morris Heights
University Heights

Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
To what extent Highbridge, Morris Heights and University Heights was destroyed Im not sure of. Maybe some other person can chip in here...

Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
I lived on the Upper West Side in the low 100's in the 70's. It wasn't destroyed but it was pretty bad ,with boarded up ,burned out ,squatter occupied buildings ,burned out stripped cars with broken glass and mountains of trash everywhere.
Far worse than anything, anywhere in the city today.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post
When my parents speak of all the bad areas..it seems like half of the city lol
And they are being generous here. Compared to today's standards even midtown and downtown Manhattan would be considered a ghetto... with all the abandoned burned down cars and crackheads in the 80s there.

People who say South Bronx was "bad" do not say it in the present sense of bad. When they mean bad and no-go area, they are literally talking about Somalia-bad.

A picture worth a thousand words:

http://www.american-pictures.com/gal.../usa-00695.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-10-2010 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Copyrght issue: Please post only your own pictures, and link to others

Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Yea, you can hear of how bad the city was when you realize the west side highway collapsed at one point

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM

Gantz are those the WTC in the background of that picture?

It just amazes me how fast the city declined and boomed

Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
You'd be surprised that some parts have been totally ignored by the gentrification. Even to the point that they look as if they have been suspened in the 1980s. If anyone has been to Holland Ave in Staten Island, then you know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
that pic, if its not photo shopped, was an odd moment.

I visited the WTC throughout the 70s (i was in hs, at Stuy, then) and it was a bustling place. It was definitely safe.

The west side highway collapsed in part cause no one could agree on what to do about it, and folks werent supporting fixing it, but couldnt agree on what was to replace it.

I am not sure about the low 100s, but in general the UWS was a bustling, if still quite socio economically diverse place. It had a few wealthy people, mainly on CPW, it had upper middle class folks, intellectuals, etc on Riverside drive, in the 70s, on some side streets. It had proto yuppies down near Lincoln Center, IIRC. ANd it still had lots of working class folks on columbus and amsterdam, not just in the projects.

"even midtown and downtown Manhattan would be considered a ghetto... with all the abandoned burned down cars and crackheads in the 80s there"

that is absolutely absurd.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post
Gantz are those the WTC in the background of that picture?

It just amazes me how fast the city declined and boomed
Yes thats WTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
that pic, if its not photo shopped, was an odd moment.

I visited the WTC throughout the 70s (i was in hs, at Stuy, then) and it was a bustling place. It was definitely safe.
That pic is not photoshopped. NYC got worse throughout the 80s, with peak crime years being 89-91.
Quote:
"even midtown and downtown Manhattan would be considered a ghetto... with all the abandoned burned down cars and crackheads in the 80s there"

that is absolutely absurd.
Are you kidding me? Times Square was MUCH worse compared even to the South Bronx or Harlem of today. There is no comparison.

Central Park was a notorious no-go area. You wouldn't pay me a million dollars to be caught in Central Park at 3am. Now you have yuppie young white girls jogging in Central park with their iphones on late evenings and its considered normal...

Here are some more pics, this is Alphabet City ladies and gentlemen (I bet today 1 bedroom rent in that little red building goes for at least $1700 a month):
http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/...habet-city.jpg

West Side Highway:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/...f0feb6_o_d.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2679/...ee0fae_b_d.jpg

West Side Highway today:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ide-javits.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-10-2010 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Copyrght issue: Please post only your own pictures, and link to others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City